Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You mean you made an easily disproved statement, and then tried to reframe it when you were called on it and hoped no one would notice. Bravo. Genius.
I like the fact that his "non-agenda driven publications" tell him he's flat out wrong. :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Brexit is about rejecting Islamic immigration...thats what fuelled the revolt.
If Islamic immigration had been curbed, the leave vote would have been tiny.
Thats the crux of the endless argument, though few want to say it for obvious reasons

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Brexit is about rejecting Islamic immigration...thats what fuelled the revolt.
If Islamic immigration had been curbed, the leave vote would have been tiny.
Thats the crux of the endless argument, though few want to say it for obvious reasons

Rejecting Islamification by dropping European immigration for non-EU immigration makes sense lel.

Job

Oh sorry..it was the Vulcan invasion that started that war.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Kosovo is mainly populated by ethnic Albanians who are mostly Muslim but that's beside the point. Their grievances with Yugoslavia (basically Serbia by that point) weren't religious ones. Kosovo is now a secular state, not a theocracy.

Job

Well obviously the perfect storm of talk about Turkey being let in to the free movement zone tipped the vote over the edge.
Not a problem now because the entire continent has shut down ME and NA migration...but they are not racists because they had the pretend moral high ground.

Job

1801-MATT-PORTAL-WEB-P1.png

Job

So Macron is offering us a deal...wtf exactly is this to do with him, is he the EU spokesperson now?
Has this deal been ratified with the other 27, were they all aware in advance of these deals.
Who are we actually dealing with, the EU or the presumed influence of the big players...cant we just say..no thanks, we'll talk to Romania.
Its always France and Germany isnt it, the leaders talk in the press like they run the whole show...oh yes, because they do.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
LINK you fucker.

How many times do you have to be told. If you want people to interact PROVIDE A LINK.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Macron isn't offering anyone anything. He did an interview with Andrew Marr explaining that the UK can't just cherry pick the bits it likes and ignore the rest, which everyone on the EU side has been saying since day 1. He basically set out a framework of what would and wouldn't be possible and that a bespoke deal could happen, as long as "boxes were ticked". Unless @Job is referring to something else, bit difficult to ascertain without links...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
LINK you fucker.

How many times do you have to be told. If you want people to interact PROVIDE A LINK.

New tab -> Google if you aren't aware enough of stuff like news and current events. Really not too hard.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
New tab -> Google if you aren't aware enough of stuff like news and current events. Really not too hard.
How the fuck am I supposed to sift through the bazillion of google returns and pick the one that Job's deranged mind has decided said something?

Did you just want to have a pop at me? Asking Job to provide a link so we can see what he's babbling on about is eminently sensible.

Bodhi

No, I was just wondering why if I'm talking in the pub I don't have to dig out Internet links to demonstrate what I'm on about.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We're not in a pub, we're on a forum.

When face to face with someone it's much easier to ask them to explain themselves and provide further information.

Discussion here is very different. Capiche? Of course, you know that, but for some reason you have sand in yer mimsy tonight...

Bodhi

We're not in a pub, we're on a forum.

When face to face with someone it's much easier to ask them to explain themselves and provide further information.

Discussion here is very different. Capiche? Of course, you know that, but for some reason you have sand in yer mimsy tonight...

Probably something to do with the flight to Schiphol I had just got off taking 3 attempts to land in that massive storm that was going round Europe yesterday. One of those flights that makes you never want to fly again. I suspect in the "excitement" (I was shaking when I finally made it home) I forgot about the Job factor in discussions.

Job

Probably something to do with the flight to Schiphol I had just got off taking 3 attempts to land in that massive storm that was going round Europe yesterday. One of those flights that makes you never want to fly again. I suspect in the "excitement" (I was shaking when I finally made it home) I forgot about the Job factor in discussions.
Link or it didn't happen.

Job

This constant reporting of growth/ interest rates/ pound vs euro, is just pointless..it has always gone up and down this amount.
Everything looks dodgy if you look at it hard enough.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Or at least post the whole headline, including the bit after "but".

Brexit costs £200m every week in lost growth, says Mark Carney

In case of paywall:
Voting to leave the European Union has cost Britain more than £200 million a week in lost growth, the governor of the Bank of England believes.

Mark Carney indicated during a private breakfast meeting with business leaders in Davos that the country had forfeited about £10 billion a year in GDP since the June 2016 referendum. The Bank has been careful not to quantify the effect of the Brexit vote to avoid accusations of political interference.

The subject came up when a guest at the breakfast asked Mr Carney what the “delta” of voting to leave the EU had been so far. In economics, a delta is a ratio used to measure the difference between actual and potential growth.

The guest requested that he measure it in “Brexit buses”, a reference to the £350 million a week that Boris Johnson and the Leave campaign claimed the UK could recover by scrapping budget contributions to Brussels.

According to a number of business figures at the event, the governor did some quick mental arithmetic and concurred that the missed opportunity equated to between two thirds and three quarters of the £350 million.

The estimate is lower than some of the wild predictions made by the Remain campaign before the referendum but will undermine the foreign secretary’s claim that the UK will enjoy a Brexit dividend to help to fund the National Health Service.

The £200 million figure is not directly comparable to the Leave campaign’s £350 million because the former refers to lost growth while the latter was money available for government spending. The £10 billion of lost growth equates to 0.5 per cent of GDP and the impact on the public finances would be considerably smaller.

That the governor should believe Britain has lost ground since the vote, compared with where the economy would otherwise be, is not surprising. The Bank and the Office for Budget Responsibility both downgraded growth after the referendum, as did the main international institutions.

The latest estimates are that the economy grew 1.8 per cent in 2016 and about 1.8 per cent last year. The OBR forecasts growth of only 1.4 per cent this year. That compares with the OBR’s March 2016 estimates of 2 per cent, 2.2 per cent and 2.1 per cent respectively. Since then, the International Monetary Fund has upgraded global, US and European growth but downgraded the UK claiming that it was being left behind as the world enjoyed the “broadest synchronised growth surge since 2010”.

For the governor to comment on Brexit risks a political backlash. Sir Paul Marshall, a hedge fund manager who contributed to the Leave campaign, recently claimed the Bank’s anti-Brexit bias threatens its credibility.

That followed outspoken calls for the governor’s resignation by the Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg and Lord Lawson of Blaby, a former chancellor, during the 2016 campaign.

Mr Carney’s comments were made in an unguarded moment in front of a crowd of Remain-supporting business figures attending the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos with no members of the press present.

The breakfast was hosted by KPMG. Bill Michael, the UK chairman of the accounting firm, said after the event: “The UK economy is underperforming. There is ample evidence we risk becoming decoupled from the rest of the world. The UK CEOs we’re talking to in Davos are very concerned. They want to be part of the actions that will address this. We can’t risk Brexit widening that growth gap.”

Theresa May will tell investment companies in Davos today of her wish to establish Britain as a world leader in artificial intelligence (AI). The prime minister will say that successfully harnessing the capabilities of AI and responding to public concerns over its potential impact is “one of the greatest tests of leadership of our time”.

She will add: “But it is a test that I am confident we can meet. For right across the long sweep of history from the invention of electricity to advent of factory production, time and again initially disquieting innovations have delivered previously unthinkable advances and we have found the way to make those changes work for all our people.”

Mrs May is also expected to announce that Britain is joining the World Economic Forum’s new council on AI to shape global governance of this new technology.

She will announce the creation of a Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation, which will examine the safe and ethical deployment of AI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom