TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
to be fair, Spain has about 200 years worth of precedence on it's OSC than the UK does on Gibraltar

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
to be fair, Spain has about 200 years worth of precedence on it's OSC than the UK does on Gibraltar

They got Ceuta just 45 years before they acceded Gibraltar to the UK (and 36 years before Britain actually captured it). To be fair they've had Mellila a lot longer. In either case, Britain has owned Gibraltar longer than all but 30 countries in the whole world have existed.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's not like it even matters what Spain want. The people of Gibraltar want to remain as part of Britain. Its just a pathetic bully boy tactic by the EU.

Talks haven't even started and they are already acting like a petulant child.

Fuck'um tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sold down the river?

Gibraltar, which voted overwhelmingly for Remain in June's referendum, asked the British government on more than one occasion to include a reference in the Article 50 letter, a source in the Gibraltarian government told the BBC.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Also strange how using EU citizens as a bargaining chip is bad, but doing the same to Gibraltar is to be encouraged? Shouldn't Spain be being the better people and respecting their wishes to remain British?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I think it'd be interesting to see if Gibraltar does want to remain a part of the UK, I mean I'm sure it'll be a strong yes, but i was looking at teacher jobs there not long ago, did some digging and basically found out that it's not a great idea unless you can actually live in Gibraltar.

Even in the EU the Spanish make the daily commute a ball ache (literally across the border) imagine how it would be without.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
French and Spanish..seriously, I admire their attitude on a certain level, but they are both cunts to the English, anyone in authority slips straight into asshole mode as soon as they know you are English.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Also strange how using EU citizens as a bargaining chip is bad, but doing the same to Gibraltar is to be encouraged?
Who is encouraging anything.

I clearly stated, multiple times that we should be doing the right thing REGARDLESS of what anyone else is doing.

You, on the other hand, are on the side of scum. You repeatedly and wilfully ignore that - because you don't care. You're as bad as our scum politicians - and the EU.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Personally I reckon the whole Gibraltar sovereignty issue being bought in to question in the coming negotiations suits the government quite well since it gives them another valid get out.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A "valid get out" in the sense that they can walk away without a deal, you mean...?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sort of but both sides are creating fall back positions by creating red lines that should either side want to use can semi validate their reason for failing to find a deal. I personally think it is very unlikely that a good deal for either side is going to come about, the talks are simply going to become bogged down by the assorted personal interests of each country.

DaGaffer

I think it'd be interesting to see if Gibraltar does want to remain a part of the UK, I mean I'm sure it'll be a strong yes, but i was looking at teacher jobs there not long ago, did some digging and basically found out that it's not a great idea unless you can actually live in Gibraltar.

Even in the EU the Spanish make the daily commute a ball ache (literally across the border) imagine how it would be without.

They managed when Spain was under Franco, and the border crossing was really bad then.

DaGaffer

Sort of but both sides are creating fall back positions by creating red lines that should either side want to use can semi validate their reason for failing to find a deal. I personally think it is very unlikely that a good deal for either side is going to come about, the talks are simply going to become bogged down by the assorted personal interests of each country.

Anyone with an IQ over single digits could (and did) predict this. All the nonsense about "well its in everyone's economic interest to do a sensible deal, harumph" from the Tories has been clearly been ridiculous from the start. Brexit wasn't a rational economic decision, so it can hardly be surprising that the divorce won't be either. Its going to be nasty from both sides; the Tories because they'll want to blame the EU for everything that was going to go wrong anyway, and the EU because this whole thing is a massive pain in the arse, and because the UK has to get a worse deal out than it got in, has to.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh you're doom mongering there @DaGaffer. It's all going to be sweetness and light after Brexit.

DaGaffer

True.

Id imagine it wasn't as populated back then though.

Seems to be a pretty steady 30K or so for a long time according to Wiki. The mix is probably different though; I'd imagine in the 60s and 70s it was a lot more Military people, whereas now its people working for banks and gambling companies, who want better housing so they live in La Linea. To be honest if Spain become super dickish about the border crossing, its just going to create an opportunity for some enterprising developers to get creative about building on the rock itself. 30,000 people isn't that many.

Bodhi

Who is encouraging anything.

I clearly stated, multiple times that we should be doing the right thing REGARDLESS of what anyone else is doing.

You, on the other hand, are on the side of scum. You repeatedly and wilfully ignore that - because you don't care. You're as bad as our scum politicians - and the EU.

I'm on the side of the people of Gibraltar, who are lovely people, and would generally rather remain British - they're prouder of that than a hell of a lot of people in the UK itself, and generally have such a deep distrust of Spain, they'd rather live with a closed border in poverty and be British than be run by Spain.

And the main people encouraging them are the people wanking themselves into a frenzy any time some bad news comes out, just so they can fill up with righteous indignation and sat "I told you so".

Imagine wanting bad things to happen to score points on an Internet forum. That's pretty fucking low - I'll assume you know people's lives are at stake?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Imagine wanting bad things to happen to score points on an Internet forum. That's pretty fucking low - I'll assume you know people's lives are at stake?
The fact that, as you acknowledge, I'm unfortunately "scoring points", as you call it, is down to the shit that anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew would happen during Brexit is now happening.

Imagine someone actually voting for Brexit. That's pretty fucking low. That's people's lives you voted to fuck over there Bodhi.

Calling me out for something you actually did is pretty hypocritical Bodhi old bean. Gibraltar's current predicament, the predicament of millions of people in the UK and EU - you have a share of that responsibility. When you had the opportunity to use your voice this is what you voted for.

I voted remain. Because it was obvious this stuff would happen.

Last edited:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I voted leave because it is better than staying, it might be a bit bumpy, but a lot of countries have been forced to reveal their hand, and that is a good thing.
Just call it a little jiggle of the power base and see who really pulls the strings, you concentrate on petty squabbles Scouse, we are talking here about the destruction of national states and the resultant kickback, its unlikely Penn will win, but at least the boundaries have been set and the Federal overlords have been reminded of their limits.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I voted leave because it is better than staying.
You've yet to show how.

Everything that's happened up until now has been a negative. Everything that looks to be happening in the future - the path that is being mapped out - points to better circumstances in the UK for only one set of people - the already rich.

As per usual, it's the vulnerable losing out.

Bodhi

The fact that, as you acknowledge, I'm unfortunately "scoring points", as you call it, is down to the shit that anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew would happen during Brexit is now happening.

Imagine someone actually voting for Brexit. That's pretty fucking low. That's people's lives you voted to fuck over there Bodhi.

Calling me out for something you actually did is pretty hypocritical Bodhi old bean. Gibraltar's current predicament, the predicament of millions of people in the UK and EU - you have a share of that responsibility. When you had the opportunity to use your voice this is what you voted for.

I voted remain. Because it was obvious this stuff would happen.

So you voted to give the EU Project the big thumbs up? Given the issues it's causing in Southern Europe with youth unemployment, I'm not sure if I could sleep at night if I'd done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom