relics

lpep

Can't get enough of FH
How would people feel if the relics where reset monthly ?.. with the lack of number in mid/hib to retake at prime time would this be a reasonable solution to keeping people happy ?

Wholdar

Can't get enough of FH
lpep said:
How would people feel if the relics where reset monthly ?.. with the lack of number in mid/hib to retake at prime time would this be a reasonable solution to keeping people happy ?

Nah, relics is a cool addon to the game, granted, the bonus is perhaps a bit much. I think they should be retaken, not resetted. :p

/j

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Guess it would give the zerg something to do each month.

funczor

Fledgling Freddie
Wholdar said:
Nah, relics is a cool addon to the game, granted, the bonus is perhaps a bit much. I think they should be retaken, not resetted. :p

/j
wööörd!

Zagg

Fledgling Freddie
Ballistixxx said:
Rvr is pretty crap as a ranger when enemies hitting you for +20% ;/

As a Ranger you are on top of the food chain anyways...

Alternatively you can try the other enemies for a change, the ones that don't hit for +20%.

And you can also organize an attack on Caer Benowyc to reduce the damage add to 10%.

So many options... all in your own hands and all much easier than trying to persuade GOA to reset relics.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
It's annoying when enemies have relics
But thats incentive to try to get them back

Monthly resets would remove that incentive
People hardly bothered with relic retakes coming up to cluster did they not?
Imagine the apathy if they were just reset once a month

Besides, relic takes/defenses are such fun
People should concentrate on the fun they had raiding/defending instead of being so bloody worked up about the outcome.

Aerendur

Fledgling Freddie
I dont believe the relics are that much of a problem. In normal times the balance would be back soon enough, but with the classic server and such, the hibs and mids have not enough 'fixed' groups that will help a raid.

This is what Ive seen costs both hib and mid side their relic attempts, too many halffull halfgimped groups with no good ones to hide behind, or good ones to do a task so the zerg can focus on something else.

Atm there is nothing left to do but having two realms with one goal, regain ground on the albs. This will be call Hibgard again or something, but its a simple fact off balance.

So far the mids and hibs havent played towards the same goal enough to really have a chance against the albs with their numbers and the relic bonuses.

Seen some mids charge an alb relic keep when the albs where going for hibs power relic. And seen hibs try and interrupt albs reinforcements going for another mid relic, but all in all, the two realms havent yet played 'together' enough. Note that this in my opinion is not crossrealming, its just two realms having goals that dont clash with each other, which will change again after they regain their relics.

One thing that they should change about the relics is that there arent enough 'negative' effects that go along with having 'too' many of them. THe realm strong enough to capture 3 or 4 relics from the other two realms apparently already has an advantage. And should have a much harder time at keeping them. Not sure how that could work, but something should make the keeps holding a relic weaker once any realm has more than 4 or 5. Else its just too much of an advantage for the already stronger realm.

Guinever

Fledgling Freddie
It would be best if Mythic made relics only accessable during peak hours, encouraging ppl to do primetime raids.

Brite

Banned
yeh its quite funny how many albs have actually grown a pair of bollocks with relics, well actually no they still zerg like shit

lpep

Can't get enough of FH
have seen several attempts by mids in past week on twrs near hurbury.. the response from albs is always fast and always the same result... 2 fg's high rr albs appear and the few dead mids thats have dragged themselves out to assist go back to pve/bled......

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
Brite said:
yeh its quite funny how many albs have actually grown a pair of bollocks with relics, well actually no they still zerg like shit
Great contribution to a reasonable thread/discussion.

Zagg

Fledgling Freddie
Aerendur said:
there arent enough 'negative' effects that go along with having 'too' many of them. THe realm strong enough to capture 3 or 4 relics from the other two realms apparently already has an advantage.

???

Having to take 3(4) keeps to get a shot at a "foreign" relic vs. taking one keep to retake a relic should even out odds for all realms really.

Any realm can successfully attack a single keep. And they shouldn't need any help from other realms, tbh.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Brite said:

because noone in midgard ever quits because there's no relics...

oh wait!

And if you choose the cup when you started playing someone from Mythic flies over and surgically removes your bits.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the change to make it harder to hold onto "bonus" relics than it is to take them in the first place is a good one.

It's only one keeptake to return it to neutrality.

Making them reset automatically would mean noone would ever take them.

That said - I'd not say no to making it 5% for each relic instead of 10%.

Wholdar

Can't get enough of FH
Zagg said:
Any realm can successfully attack any keep they shouldn't need any help from other realms, tbh.

Well, that comes down to numbers. =) Plain and simple.
If the defenders come up with 100 defenders, you usually need at least that amount to take the thing. What you do need if you lack the numbers is tactics of some sort, and that could be diversion, doing it at the right time (when the other enemy attacks, odd hours etc etc) or something like that.

Well, as I said earlier in this thread, I personally dont think the relics should be reset on a regular basis, would remove much of the drive to retake, if not all of it. =)

/j

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Attacking keeps successfully is not all down to numbers.

For example, 2fg of Hibs could easily ward off an Alb zerg if playing the right classes.

When I play sorc in keep defense, I often sit around the bottom windows, just F8 and nuke anything in LOS. VERY rarely does anyone interrupt me, or the other casters in the same place. We often win the fight...could be easily avoided.

Just takes some thought.

Wholdar

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
Attacking keeps successfully is not all down to numbers.

No, of course not, there´s always variables. But I was talking about in general. Usually if you have a 100-man zerg (with all that implies) you need another 100-man zerg to counter it.

Ofcourse the scale can tip any way if any side have one or two opted (for the task at hand) groups which are good coordinated. Right now, I don´t see many of those in mid (when it´s time for relic/keep-take), have no idea how the situation is in hib.

Also, when defenders are hibs there´s always shrooms, and when they are albs there´s usually monster-rezzed people, both which are very powerful in keep-situations. And both which usually needs quite coordinated responses to deal with, and balanced groups. =)

But be sure, plans are afoot. =) I´m quite sure there soon will be a more coordinated effort from either mids or hibs to remedy the current situation, I have personal experience with the excellent relic-raiding skills of Aran Thule (bastard! :p) and I wouldn´t be surprised if someone with about the same caliber picks up the midgård-flag and make an effort aswell.

Been quite a while since I was part of a really planned and coordinated relicraid. Last one was in the Old Frontier I belive, was really fun, even though a bit laggy. =)

/j

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Instead of reducing the effect of relics, I´d prefer if the relics had different and cycling/changing (monthly?) effects, not just the RvR damage bonus. There are plenty of options. PvE bonus, increased droprate, maybe access to a certain dungeon that´s normally closed or [insert other cool effects here]. I think there´s a lot of unused potential in the game mechanics and by adding funky, new stuff, they would increase the motivation to actually fight for the relics. In the current situation, controlling a teleporter keep in the enemy frontier has almost a greater impact on the game as the relic bonus (teleport, DF, lots of rp´s when defending the keep against a retake etc.etc.).

just my 5c

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Wholdar said:
Usually if you have a 100-man zerg (with all that implies) you need another 100-man zerg to counter it.

Completely untrue. The advantage you get from walls alone, plus let's not forget bainshee coning, capped animist shrooms and insta-damage warlocks means you need nowhere near a 1:1 ratio on attackers:defenders.

Brite

Banned
the fact is you need a lot of luck and that 100 man zerg to be stupidly disorganised and everything you need to go to plan to go to plan, as albs fotm is sorcs and other casters that can play hell ae interupting and just a few monster resses can cause problems, and these problems mount up. Back in OF we where raiding the albion strengh relic temple, 5+ opted groups of us where roaming sauvage to kill any incoming, BO, Maelstrom, BaF, Everlast etc... was thinking this would be major rps farmage ^^ a couple of groups get mowed and some straglers, dead for a couple of minutes then BAM slide show, 150 man zerg plowed through, Zerg DOES = WIN in seige, except in very extreme/lucky circumstances. But i suppose you dont have too much experience in dealing with being outnumbered?

I wouldnt mind actually doing an alarm clock raid, you deserve it 110% we need some communication between mids and this can happen easily, hope it does, so i can laugh at albs that will actually whine

Wholdar

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
Completely untrue. The advantage you get from walls alone, plus let's not forget bainshee coning, capped animist shrooms and insta-damage warlocks means you need nowhere near a 1:1 ratio on attackers:defenders.

Well, you mentioned 3 different classes here that seems to be essential to counter that 100-man-zerg. And they could probably be themselves be countered with the right classes on the other side. Which is my eyes doesn´t make it the "zerg" as I see it.

Ahwell, I wont spend my time playing out different class-card at other class-cards during a keeptake/defend, I´ve been on multiple keep-takes that had almost 0 casters and 1 or 2 healing-classes. Naturally they didnt go too well.

In my mind a successful raid needs balanced groups to be successfull, that nowadays means prearranged planned raids, seeing how many that usually shows up to a "spur of the moment"-raid that is announced in /broad in bled/svas or in /as.

Don´t forget the psycological side of seeing the number of the enemies, and your own in relation to them - to the casual player (thats usually are in majority during these raids) I´m quite sure thats quite a big factor.

Well, I think I´ve gotten my point across - completely untrue or not - so I leave it at that. =)

To the person that suggested different effects of having relics, cool idea. Please serve that one to Mythic. =)

/j

Forfid

Fledgling Freddie
Just remove the relics from game... or make them PVE bonus instead...

20% Damage Bonus is a lot.

Netcode

Can't get enough of FH
Wholdar said:

/j

agreeked :)

Zagg

Fledgling Freddie
Relics are the only reason to attack/defend keeps (okay, there is DF, but who really goes there still...)

Removing the relics would mean removing the only bit of end game dynamics DAOC has and which distinguishes this game from so many others. Even to reduce the relic bonus would hurt the dynamics. One realm having 3 relics of the same kind has to hurt by default. If it wouldn't hurt, there would be no reason to take keeps or defend them.

If you removed the relics, we could also just move the portal keeps to the 3 bridgeheads of Agramon and kill each others over and over in the middle. Although I would really enjoy that for a few month, it would get boring fast - a bit like guildwars.

illu

Part of the furniture
One day the super-fast Alb Relic Response Team will not get to Hurb on time! We just need a few more people and we'll get at least one relic back.

Why the other relic is in Renaris (I think) which is a bitch to get to - I dunno.
The hib one in Beno I think is slightly easier to get back maybe, give our relic in that keep :>

Time to start checking when that next Alb ML rush is....... :p

Oli - Illu

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
I think it should stay as is but bonuses be reduced to 5%/10%, enough that they're worth bothering with but not too imbalancing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom