TV New Dr Who

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My theories...
We already know that the Space/Time Vortex is the "Heart of the TARDIS".
The moment he said "shrapnel", I thought "TARDIS".
These cracks are throughout time wherever the TARDIS goes.
1940's (glimmer)
present day (a crack)
a bit in the future (bigger crack)
Some distance in the future (BIG crack)

It's playing out like the last ep of ST:TNG where the effect gets bigger the further back you go in time, except the effect in Dr.Who gets bigger the further forward you go in time.

So they're saying that the TARDIS is going to literally explode and parts are going to be found all over time and space, because the Heart of the TARDIS *IS* all time and space.
In other news, Karen Gillan looked DAMN fine in a short skirt! :)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
In other news, Karen Gillan looked DAMN fine in a short skirt! :)

I thought they were very short shorts, but yes, she did indeed look wonderful.

In other news I enjoyed the last episode, but the Doctor needs to drop his sonic screwdriver down a very deep dark well. It is becoming the MacGyver it was back in the day, when the scriptwriters very wisely wrote it out of the story along with K-9.

The Doctor should be solving and dealing with situations himself, not relying on his magical piece of kit all the time.

The BBC's non-violence thang, that so ruined the Robin Hood series, also needs to go.

russell

FH is my second home
Two hours of shit, lazy scripting just to set up Rory's death and continue the crack storyline? Pathetic.
FFS Chet -its 'light entertainment' not hard core sci-fi/narrative genius:twak:

russell

FH is my second home
It would be if it was 'entertaining'.
If it doesn't entertain you -dont watch it then dude!

Its family entertainment and it certainly entertains my family and keeps them quiet, which is a major achievement in my house;)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Aye, for all they drop the ball at times, everyone in my house gathers to watch Dr. Who on a Saturday evening. Its on during that happy zone when everyone is just fed or currently eating, and before everyone is off to do whatever for the rest of the evening.

The goal of course is to be as far away from a TV as possible before the latest Simon Cowell marketing programme is on.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
FFS Chet -its 'light entertainment' not hard core sci-fi/narrative genius:twak:

It doesn't have to be genius, but it does have to live up to the past, and it's failing to do that woefully. Are families and kids stupid now? Is that an excuse for piss poor scripts?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Living up to the past mate?

Lets face it, the "old" Dr Who was shit compared to the new stuff. If you dont think that you are either looking through rose-tinted specs or you just wernt there :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
my theory: the tardis explodes and has fragmented time and space this is gonna prob be the last or penultimate episode. the crack and light we see and people forgetting things are all linked, think of the heart as a black hole sucking everything back into one spot, to who knows rebuild the tardis? its dr who not beyond the realms of possibility.

one thing that bugs me tho, ppl who touch the light get absorbed and forgot, yet prisoner zero escaped through the crack and dr who put his arm into it without any consequences? seems a bit ill thought out to me, its got me intrigued but i see lots of plot holes too.

just hope its not a shit series ending where everything reverts to the first episode etc

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If it doesn't entertain you -dont watch it then dude!
That was the most pointless statement on this thread. Did you steal it from Toht?

The new series is a massive gulf away from the genius start to new who with Rose & the Ecclestone doctor.

Everything said, I agree with Zenith. So far this has a very very very "i've seen it somewhere before" theme to it. It may be that TNG stuff.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
just hope its not a shit series ending where everything reverts to the first episode etc

Maybe they'll all find out they're all dead and actually in some sort of polic....... erm timelords limbo/heaven. Or the tardis crashed in the very first ever series and they've been in limbo all along and the doctor has to protect the isla..........erm tardis.

Or it'll just fade to bla............

00dave

Question, does the toaster at my workplace look a bit like a cyberman?

cybertoaster.jpg

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well call me an old softie but I had a tear in my eye when Van Gogh saw his own exhibition.

:cheers:

Turamber

Part of the furniture
That was just so good. Would be easy to get episodes with famous people in wrong, or to do them too often -- for me it was just right. I can see that some might find the end a little too twee, but I thought it was excellent. And how beautiful did Amy look? My favourite companion by a country mile.

Please God let the Doctor stick to his promise re the screwdriver, stupid crappy thing that it is.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
3 episodes to go and it's been good so far. Using Van Gogh to pull on the heart strings was a nice touch by Curtis. No doubt it also got a lot of kids who watch it to go look him up.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That was indeed a cracking episode :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Heh, I really hated last night's episode. Doc running around with his battery powered wing mirror, unconvincing monster that looked like a chicken that grew up beside Selafield.

And Van Gogh with a Scottish accent.

Bill Nighy was good. He has that twitch down to perfection. I liked the William Hartnell snippet.

Am I the only one thats getting a bit fed up with Matt Smith's overly chipper take on the Doc? At first it seemed quite good but it seems to be all he does and is sliding towards tedious.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Am I the only one thats getting a bit fed up with Matt Smith's overly chipper take on the Doc? At first it seemed quite good but it seems to be all he does and is sliding towards tedious.

He's growing on me. Conversely I never liked Tennant.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Good episode, bit artsy(har) for my taste, don't care for art that much so those bits were kind of a filler for me.

The doctor though seems to be, well, kinda hard to put a finger on it but, losing it? He seems more like a human with didgerydoos then a 900 year old time traveler. Mild annoyance and it's all still good, but need to poke him towards a timelord and less towards human again.

00dave

yes yes but what about my toaster?

I haven't seen the episode yet, gonna catch it on bbc3 later but the actor playing van gogh has been in quite a few things you might have seen him in, he's actually quite a good actor.

Gray

FH is my second home
So there is only a couple of episodes left now then? I never was a massive Doctor Who fan but usually at the end of a series has it generally been known that the doctor could become someone else? Or is it likely that Matt Smith could continue on for a second season onwards?

The fact he mentioned Rory by name in the latest episode makes me think that something is going to happen between the Doc and Pond, and that she was crying even though she didn't know it.

For some reason i keep thinking that Amy might betray the Doctor, which leads to the inevitable explosion which destroys the Tardis (According to the episode last week). But again, i don't know if any Companion of the Doctor has ever turned against him...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
yes yes but what about my toaster?

I haven't seen the episode yet, gonna catch it on bbc3 later but the actor playing van gogh has been in quite a few things you might have seen him in, he's actually quite a good actor.

Aye, Tony Curran is usually pretty good. Been in lots of stuff. Was surprised he didn't at least neutralise the accent but hey ho.

Toaster is too high budget to be in Doctor Who :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So there is only a couple of episodes left now then? I never was a massive Doctor Who fan but usually at the end of a series has it generally been known that the doctor could become someone else? Or is it likely that Matt Smith could continue on for a second season onwards?

The fact he mentioned Rory by name in the latest episode makes me think that something is going to happen between the Doc and Pond, and that she was crying even though she didn't know it.

For some reason i keep thinking that Amy might betray the Doctor, which leads to the inevitable explosion which destroys the Tardis (According to the episode last week). But again, i don't know if any Companion of the Doctor has ever turned against him...

He ciuld, afterall tennant stuck around quite a long time(of the new docs).

Thing is;

- Pond is around because of the rifts.(doc visited her as a child because of one)
- Tardis explosion is the cause of rifts. (presumably)
- Pond is most likely the reason events lead to explosion of tardis. (without meeting her, things wouldnt' go as they go)
- Pond forgetting about Rory is due to rifts.
- Doctor will try to(and very well probably succeeds) in stopping these rifts. (most likely by avoiding a big tardis explosion)
- That means doctor is left on his lonesome once more as all things are fixed to status quo. Pond forgets doctor, rift never happens, doc never visits child pond etc.

That's one way of doing it.

Or, same deal, but doctor sacrifices himself(as he tends to do at times) in a tardis IMplosion which "destroys" the tardis and the doctor, but doesn't rip open the universe.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Doc is conveniently flying around in an alternate version of the Tardis, so it doesn't matter if it explodes and starts the rifts, the plot will reset and he'll be back in his old Tardis.

Given the very uneven writing in this series it could be a great ending, or it could be another Dallas shower scene.

Personally, I'd like to see them take some risks and try something to reboot the whole concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom