TV New Dr Who

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Because from the understanding they have of the doctor is he just regenerates everytime they kill him so the safest way to get rid of him is to lock him up

That's daft. Kill him. Destroy body. Job done. Admittedly short last ever series tho.

Athan

Resident Freddy
We know they can regenerate 12 times. Pretty sure the Daleks will know everything there is to know about Time Lords.

By your logic, his enemies would also realise that the Doctor always comes out on top, so trapping him in a box is pointless!

Whilst "A timelord can regenerate only 12 times" has traditionally been canon, I've a feeling they're trying to ignore it now in case they get to a 13th doctor and still want to continue with a 14th. It's not been mentioned at all in any of the recent "oh, I'm dying, but ..." explanations.

Plus I don't think anything ever said that the 1st doctor we saw was the original incarnation and not already after some number of regenerations. But then I'm not an uber-fan who's seen every episode and read every book.

Athan

Resident Freddy
On checking:

Regeneration (Doctor Who) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

indeed there's been one story saying William Hartnell's wasn't the first incarnation of The Doctor, and others saying it's possible to get around the 12 limit. So, basically it's up to the show's writers at the time... which means indeed locking The Doctor up in what you think is an inescapable prison might well be more sensible than killing him and hoping no regeneration works at any point.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Whilst "A timelord can regenerate only 12 times" has traditionally been canon, I've a feeling they're trying to ignore it now in case they get to a 13th doctor and still want to continue with a 14th. It's not been mentioned at all in any of the recent "oh, I'm dying, but ..." explanations.

Plus I don't think anything ever said that the 1st doctor we saw was the original incarnation and not already after some number of regenerations. But then I'm not an uber-fan who's seen every episode and read every book.
They've bent regeneration anyway, regeneration into a hand anyone?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Logic can't be applied to Dr. Who. It breaks its own logic too often.

So best if its just kept to a cheesey fun ride and treated as such :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Also thinking about it, no reason to suggest that "death" is actual you no longer exist once you hit 13. It could even done so that at 13 the time lord simply loses all his memories.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
13 was death. Complete death. No more regens. No coming back.

But they're going to fudge it as long as they can make money out of it - so I'm not going to cry too hard over it :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
aye this was pretty much explained in the christmas special they did with paul mcgann wasnt it?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh I know what it was, but it's the sort of word now that (whilst we all understand it as being definitive) in TV land is completely open to interpretation.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
There will probably be a story line involving the 12th Doctor trying to find a way to extend his regens, hopefully it will involve the Doctor trying to contact the locked in time, timelords.

Wikia Link, very interesting

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
personally im hoping for the time lords and the re emergence of gallifrey from the time lock. cant see it tho not until the doctors final death its always been maintained that the doctor is the one who caused the time lock.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
new doctor who adventure game live for dl bout 330meg its ok not as good city of the daleks tho

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Sorry to burst your bubble sailors, but you're saying "its impossible" etc, but its what ever will make BBC the most money, there, your bubbles burts, Doctor Who isn't real, its a TV programme I'm sorry, I'll run, and fly away in my TARDIS
:kissit:

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
well no actually your quite wrong theres a little thing fanatics like to call cannon, basically meaning sticking to the rules of a show set out in a previous series or literature.

sure they can break those rules but 9/10 the show will flop because its core fanbase dont agree with the direction its gone in

enterprise anyone?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Very enjoyable finale,

I was kind of chuffed I got the "something borrowed..." clue as he was saying it

but, another season finale, another big reset button.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
That was great fun.

Even if there was, as already said, the usual reset button, it was always kind of inevitable since they were breaking too much of the universe on their way through this romp.

The "something borrowed... " thing was great, even if you could figure it out beforehand, it was such a nice touch and a great way to change your view of the Tardis.

I'm expecting River Song to be something to do with Torchwood.

EDIT: Oh and I noticed the Tardis exterior hadn't reset but I can't decide if thats meaingful or just poor continuity or cod logic sci fi :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I'd watch that program if it was called Amy Pond does knitting, and all it has was ,well, Amy Pond knitting.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I love River Song, theres something about her she brilliant

Good episode, i will do what i always do and go back and watch again in a couple of days

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
loved it, was a brilliant episode really cant wait till river song comes along i really do have a feeling shes a timelord or something else as powerful. she called him my love and it seems they have a long history together shes not your typical human companion.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Yeah i thought she may be a timelord or something just as important i thinks shes brilliant

id still like to see his daughter come back too but i think thats been forgotten about

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
Something I noticed/remembered in this episode.

When his past is being erased he goes back to the episode where amy isn't alowed to open her eyes (Flesh and Stone) and tells her she needs to start trusting him.

Now, if you watch Flesh and Stone again you will see that exact same event happening 17m 56s.

I remember reading the IMDB forums when Flesh and Stone aired and some of the posters on their were reporting that the doctor in that scene was wearing a jacket, while for the rest of the episode he wasn't. Most put it down to a mistake. We now know that we were actually seeing the doctor from the season finale.

I have gone the long winded way of saying this as I cant think of an easy way to say it, but small touches like that are pretty cool :p

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
i remember that scene and thinking it made no sense not the fact that he was wearing a jacket that passed me by but the fact he came back to say what he said it struck me as odd.

it was a nice touch as you said

one line that struck me odd as well "im sorry but thats when it all changes" when she says they will meet soon why say sorry? i can see a big multi season story acr building here i just cant fathom what it is, dont forget this is 2nd season we have seen river song.

hope its the escaped daleks breaking the time lock on the war between them and the timelords :D

russell

FH is my second home
I wanted Riversong to be the Doctor's daughter grown up, but that theory is blown with the marriage references and all the ' my loves'. bugger.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Unless he's a nonce.

:lol:

Just watched the episode back, and the whole speech he does to Amelia as she was sleeping was very clever, i didnt get either, but well done SM, very good writing

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Beats the fuck out of Russel T Davies doesn't it? :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It does and it doesn't. While it's clever, I really don't give a shit about this doctor and still care more about Ecclestone. Go figure?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You could always just type nonsense for the sake of it and see if anyone noticed ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom