Lies, Damned Lies and Health Statistics!

rynnor

Rockhound
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21682779

Funny survey that said people eating tons of processed meat more likely to die early on the Beeb.

Leaving aside the fact that people who eat tons of processed meat are likely to do other unhealthy behaviours angle the stats were not exactly overwhelming.

Additionally these mass surveys perpetuate the myth of commonality - that any given sample of the population serves as a good proxy for the whole when we increasingly know that an individuals genetic inheritance plays a huge role to the point that future medicines are likely to be personalised...

1 in 17 on the survey died during the period they were tracked - 5.88%

It was then stated 'if everyone on the study had eaten less than 20g of processed meat a day 3% of the deaths could have been prevented' thats a 0.176% drop - so for every 600 people on the survey 35.28 would have died as opposed to 36.28 if they had eaten more meat.

Considering theres an error factor in all this is that really significant?

Other studies showed vegetarians died earlier than omnivores so you have to wonder.

Another dodgy stat - if the whole UK population kept below eating 10g of processed meat a day (ie basically none) we could prevent 4000 bowel cancer cases a year!

Though in the UK we have over 40,000 cases a year so this would actually be a drop in the ocean in return for radical impact to peoples behaviour lol.

Finally and most scientifically damning the authors of this junk propose a correlation but without a causation!

Correlations are ten a penny and meaningless unless you can show causation - for example - most people who die see a doctor in their last 7 days - thats a correlation - from that you could argue we should all avoid ever seeing a doctor - without causation its meaningless.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
4k out of 40k is 10%, not exactly a drop in the ocean for bowl cancer.

Not commenting on the other findings because I don't care.

Eating stuff you can trust is better than eating sand blasted "meat" or whatever the fuck it is they put in processed food these days is a win win for everyone anyway.

rynnor

Rockhound
4k out of 40k is 10%, not exactly a drop in the ocean for sic. 'bowl cancer'.

Those arent deaths though - just proposed cases on an untested hypothesis that doesnt identify a cause - for that the whole population should change their eating habits? More people would probably die from unintended consequences of the change like anaemia from lack of Iron than would be saved by it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What?

So eating real food as opposed to gunge would cause anemia? Red meat contains tonnes of iron.

What?

rynnor

Rockhound
What?

So eating real food as opposed to gunge would cause anemia? Red meat contains tonnes of iron.

What?

You are assuming that people would replace their processed meat consumption with unprocessed meat consumption with equal amounts of iron based on what exactly?

During a recession when fresh meat costs more than processed...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What else would a meat eating person replace "meat" with?

Many green vegetables contain high iron too.

Unless they swap out processed junk for cardboard or something then I think they would be ok.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Which would also be a good thing when everyone is eating far more than they need.

How on earth do you think vegetarians survive?

rynnor

Rockhound
Which would also be a good thing when everyone is eating far more than they need.

How on earth do you think vegetarians survive?

Vegetarians die earlier than omnivores - no one has identified why but if everyone switched to vegetarianism it would have a negative effect on the nations health - even the study above decided there was a health benefit to eating a certain amount of meat - even processed meat.

Not everyone eats meat to excess - amongst the poorest sector of our community consumption is low - if we got rid of processed meat they would eat even less which is not a beneficial health outcome.

Meat is an essential part of a balanced diet.

Gumbo

FH is my second home

Funny survey that said people eating tons of processed meat more likely to die early on the Beeb.

Leaving aside the fact that people who eat tons of processed meat are likely to do other unhealthy behaviours angle the stats were not exactly overwhelming.

Additionally these mass surveys perpetuate the myth of commonality - that any given sample of the population serves as a good proxy for the whole when we increasingly know that an individuals genetic inheritance plays a huge role to the point that future medicines are likely to be personalised...

1 in 17 on the survey died during the period they were tracked - 5.88%

It was then stated 'if everyone on the study had eaten less than 20g of processed meat a day 3% of the deaths could have been prevented' thats a 0.176% drop - so for every 600 people on the survey 35.28 would have died as opposed to 36.28 if they had eaten more meat.

Considering theres an error factor in all this is that really significant?

Other studies showed vegetarians died earlier than omnivores so you have to wonder.

Another dodgy stat - if the whole UK population kept below eating 10g of processed meat a day (ie basically none) we could prevent 4000 bowel cancer cases a year!

Though in the UK we have over 40,000 cases a year so this would actually be a drop in the ocean in return for radical impact to peoples behaviour lol.

Finally and most scientifically damning the authors of this junk propose a correlation but without a causation!

Correlations are ten a penny and meaningless unless you can show causation - for example - most people who die see a doctor in their last 7 days - thats a correlation - from that you could argue we should all avoid ever seeing a doctor - without causation its meaningless.

That's easier. I can read it now without getting a migraine.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
A good survey thats been seized upon by headline seeking press..utter bolaks...just like a lot of utterly disconnected reasoning by people with a prejudice.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I went to uni with Opthalmologists.
You might get referred to one by an Optom but you'd see an Optom first who would probably be working in an Optician's practice.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I went to a private consultant about my eyes through a health insurance scheme, arrived, big converted victorian house, bimbo receptionist.
I had loads of floaters, so he's looking into my eyes with the usual gadgets, can't see a thing he said and basically motioned me to the door with his eyes, so I said 'My condition is a mystery to opthamology and you're telling me to fuck off and write the cheque on my way out?'
The smug prick looked like he wanted to punch me, so he directed me back to the NHS and they sorted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom