Jerry Springer and the godmob

rynnor

Rockhound
Personally I'm expecting it to be crap but its not exactly the life of brian so why try and ban it - and why the fuss now when its been on at the theatre for a while without any demonstrations?

And I dont remember a huge fuss about South Park which regularly features a rather wimpy jesus...

Its good to see the beeb stand firm over this but their policy remains unclear when it comes to programming that offends religions - Popetown got dropped even though it was only on BBC3 and probably a lot less offensive than South Park...

All very strange.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Reason the BBC are allowing it to go ahead? Probably more to do with ratings. With the fussed kicked up about the show more people are bound to watch it including people who will hate it so they can kick up more afterwards. Also the BBC are seen as making a stand, when they have been accused of being to soft in the past. Just good PR.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The BBC are just fulfilling their requirements as a public service broadcaster. Strictly speaking, they aren't in the business of watching ratings, but this won't do their status any harm.

Personally I thought the idea of Klu Klux Klan members doing a tapdance was pretty damn funny.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Don't see why people complain... I mean, it's not exactly hard to switch channel if it offends someone that much.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't know what the heck you're talking about!

(obviously I know wtf Springer is)

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
That's ok Xtro, we all know you are a bit special.

*pats Xtro's head*

Biscuit? :)

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Personally i complained about it. The main reason i did that was because it Portrays Jesus, Mary and God as sexual deviants, and if this was aimed at Allah, or any other of the gods or heads of religeon then it would not be allowed on the air.

There was that Sikh play about the sexual perversion in the temple - that wasn't allowed on the stage.

Its starting to get to a stage where it is 'ok' to mock christianity because they know there will be no backlash from it.

The BBC promised that if it got 500 complaints then it would take the program off the air. However it got 50'000 telephone calls, and they haven't even started to count the emails yet.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Just seen BBC news webbie - didnt know anything about them screening it and now I know I care (this) much.

Stu - balls to you :p happy new year you jock twat :D

all these complaints and it hasnt even gone out yet...duh.

Meanwhile, back in Asia where the tsunami victims are suffering...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Pathetic. The Analogy with South Park The Movie is a good one, but of course cartoons can get away with more than 'live' actors. I've seen JSTO and yeah, if you give a crap about religion, then it is 'blasphemous' (I always imagine John Cleese with a big beard every time I hear that word now), but we've repealed the blasphemy laws in this country so I think every religion is fair game (I'd have told those Sikhs to stick their protest where the sun don't shine).

NB. I think Jerry Springer The Opera is actually overrated. Its not that funny.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Brynn said:
Personally i complained about it. The main reason i did that was because it Portrays Jesus, Mary and God as sexual deviants, and if this was aimed at Allah, or any other of the gods or heads of religeon then it would not be allowed on the air.

Completely true.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Whingeing about this only makes us as bad as the Muslims and Sikhs imo. Its a fucking work of fiction, change channel or switch off fs.
Religion is the scourge of the world.

One arguement used by "holier than thou" fucking twats yesterday was " I pay my licence fee and this isn't what I want to see". Well I pay my licence fee too, I hate footy, so does that mean I can complain to the BBC about football coverage?

I haven't seen GSTO, and won't be watching it. Not because of the content, because it's shit.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
~Yuckfou~ said:
One arguement used by "holier than thou" fucking twats yesterday was " I pay my licence fee and this isn't what I want to see". Well I pay my licence fee too, I hate footy, so does that mean I can complain to the BBC about football coverage?

The deal with the lisence fee is the fact that the bbc said they would cancel it off the air if they got 500 complaints. They got ten times that amount and are still broadcasting it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
DaGaffer said:
Pathetic. The Analogy with South Park The Movie is a good one, but of course cartoons can get away with more than 'live' actors. I've seen JSTO and yeah, if you give a crap about religion, then it is 'blasphemous' (I always imagine John Cleese with a big beard every time I hear that word now), but we've repealed the blasphemy laws in this country so I think every religion is fair game (I'd have told those Sikhs to stick their protest where the sun don't shine).

NB. I think Jerry Springer The Opera is actually overrated. Its not that funny.

Sikhs and Jews have protection in law that Christians and Muslims do not because for the most part they are from one racial group so that anything that portrays them in a bad light can be prosecuted as racist.

The only fair comparison then is between something which makes fun of Christianity and something that makes fun of Islam and I think with the way the world is at the moment the BBC would be VERY reluctant to air something which did the latter.

Not sure if I have a point. Just trying to clarify things :)

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
:eek7: christ, wij makes a point.

As politically correct as this sounds they know the christians aint going to grab ak's and go to the bbc headquarters. I *know* there arent many extremists in islam, but there are some that make the bbc programmers scared.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Brynn said:
:eek7: christ, wij makes a point.

As politically correct as this sounds they know the christians aint going to grab ak's and go to the bbc headquarters. I *know* there arent many extremists in islam, but there are some that make the bbc programmers scared.

The higher echelons of the BBC is staffed mainly by lentil eating liberals and accountants, long gone are the toffs and engineers who used to live there. Hasn't this opera been to the states? I think there are just one or two Christian fundamentalists over there who have access to far better weaponry than Islamic fundamentalists.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Yes this opera has been to the states. However it hadn't been publicised as much as it had been over here. Had it been brought to peoples attention sooner then i think that it would have got this same reaction.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Freedom of speech cuts both ways. I firmly believe that the BBC has the right to broadcast this show, and the "God squad" have the right to ring the BBC and express their disapproval. I personally will not be watching it as it is the product of yet another 'artist' who thinks its cool to pour derision on other people's beliefs.

The case with the Sikhs and the play in Birmingham is completely different. They threw stones through windows at the theatre and threatened violence against the theatre management and patrons if the play continued. Apples and oranges. Disliking something is one thing, but violence and breaking the law is quite another.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
What are these religious types so scared about? Aren't they pure enough not to be tainted by mere TV? Why is god only testing a few, seeing as religious types are the only ones who can make any decision on their own? How can anyone be wrong anyway, if god has a plan for us all?

Whoops, looks like I just fell into the trap of making coherent argument against this type of thing. Waste of time.
I may be forced to evaporate your planet if this keeps up. ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Why don't these bible bashers start complaining about Trisha? Talk about the decay of morality, theres your target.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I think it's just generally bollocks, if you don't like it, don't fucking watch it?

I think Terry Wogan did a show to answer complaints the BBC got, sometimes it just makes me wonder, if you don't like whats on then WHY did they make themselves sit there and fucking watch it?

It's like me forcing myself to watch eastenders while scratching my eyeballs out at how shite it is and THEN going to TV businesses and saying "Why do you put this shit on TV!!?!? I DONT LIKE IT STOP SHOWING IT!!!1111"

It's complete shit, there are so many shows on TV already that take the piss out of certain collectives, so why should one show make so much difference?

Honestly, some people will complain till the sky crashes down on them, it's like taking a dummy from a baby the way they whinge and whine about stuff. :rolleyes:

Turamber

Part of the furniture
If you don't believe in anything then it's pretty pointless trying to explain to you why people don't like their beliefs being derided. Edit: some of the people who are whining about whiners in the posts above have been responsible for a few whines themselves over the past few months.

Tom's whines about parking fines, speeding fines et al might seem pretty pointless to somebody who doesn't drive for example.

Ahh I'm trying to explain. Nevermind, you won't get it.

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Good for the beeb on this one.

I'd think the number of people who might want to see a ground-breaking, award winning musical on TV because they'd never get the chance to see it on stage outnumbers the whiners who do, after all, have the option to switch off or switch over.

Anyway, the whole opera is totally outrageous (and I thought the first half was better anyway). I don't remember god being portrayed as a sexual deviant though.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Was watching the news today and it covered this. Had one of those "on the street" interviews with people who were protesting about it.

"Have you seen it?"
"No! But what i've heard has absolutley outraged me! Its outrageous that they show this sort of thing yada yada yada"

Then somebody made the point, "diddnt we have two world wars in order to secure our freedom of speech?" Bit untrue but yes.

Political Correctness gone mad

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Sharma said:
I think it's just generally bollocks, if you don't like it, don't fucking watch it?

Absolutely spot on.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Munkey said:
Then somebody made the point, "diddnt we have two world wars in order to secure our freedom of speech?" Bit untrue but yes.

Political Correctness gone mad

How is it PC gone mad? *confused*

As I said in my post above I quite agree that the programme should be shown, but the people who dislike the programme - after all it's contents have been in many newspapers and internet articles - have the right to complain about it being shown. Freedom of speech cuts both ways.

If this programme had portrayed Hindu god's, or Allah or any of the other gods of religious minorities as sexual deviants, the PC brigade would have been up in arms. But it's acceptable, for some reason, to deride Christianity. Partly this is because the religion itself is founded on principles of non-confrontation, but also because people have some strange idea that Christians are a majority religion.

But in our increasingly secular society Christians are a minority religion too. Equal treatment with other religions is not too much to ask for, and I can understand why people are venting about this.

Another factor which enters the equation for the complainers is that they have paid for this programme with their licence money. When people have, in any small percentage, contributed to the cost of something being made they feel they have a right to have their say.

rynnor

Rockhound
Brynn said:
Personally i complained about it. The main reason i did that was because it Portrays Jesus, Mary and God as sexual deviants

Have you seen it because that doesnt sound like it - it sounds like somebody said 'this is bad you should complain about it' - I shall restrain a heavy flame but please try to form your own opinions - its the only true freedom in the world...

rynnor

Rockhound
Turamber said:
If this programme had portrayed Hindu god's, or Allah or any of the other gods of religious minorities as sexual deviants, the PC brigade would have been up in arms. But it's acceptable, for some reason, to deride Christianity.

Actually there is a big difference between christianity and the other faiths in the UK. Christianity is still the official faith and has an entrenched position of some power in our society (high officials in the christian church automatically become members of the House of Lords) and christian religious leaders are consulted on policy in a way that no other religion gets.

Christianity also gets far more press coverage than any other faith in the uk - the archbishop of canterbury etc merely have to open their mouths and it appears in the papers and gets debated - the only other faiths you ever hear from in the papers is the Muslims but only in the context of having to defend against 'arent all muslims terrorists'.

So due to this position of power in our society I would say it is far more acceptable to criticise the christian faith but in practice I dont really see that the christian faith does get more criticism.

When the IRA were blowing people up left right and centre I dont remember the press dragging out some catholic priest and asserting that catholic = terrorist yet the muslims get this implied all the time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom