No idea Creation....

Creationism......

• It's Plausible...

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Da Truth of course! how blind can you be?

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Belongs in the fiction section...

Votes: 34 94.4%

• Total voters

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't really give that much of a fuck about what you've typed :)

Yeah it really shows too (y)

The indisputable fact is though; you're the biggest religion fanatic on these forums, you just happen to hide it behind anti-religious rants and tooting a horn about facts and science, but the keytone is still there and it's one of the worse religion related ranting i've ever seen online.

No religious person around here comes even close to you.

FYI; it was "cute" in a sense that you resort to underhanded editing to seem smarter.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I get religion. I get it so well that I wish death on it. It's not that hard to understand...

There's a huge difference between practicing religion and faith (believing in god)
As a person who doesn't, I take an interest in understanding those who do..

As in. Trying to gain knowledge of that which I cannot explain / understand. Some might even call that the scientific apraoch ;)
My chances of achieving that by "stumping down on" or rediculing the belief of others are slim to none...and to be honest, if I really wanted to convince someone
to subscibe to my version of truth, I wouldn't go by it by attacking his or her views.....However I would argue why my version is more plausible/sensible/true

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
As in. Trying to gain knowledge of that which I cannot explain / understand.

Olga - what I'm saying is that there's nothing more for me to be gained by entering into discussion with the religious. Religion and faith are simple concepts. They are easily explained and easily understood - especially when you apply evidence-based thinking to them.

When you do that - they're quickly found out to be bull. The "knowledge you gain" isn't worth gaining. Not worth wasting your time on. It's not knowledge - it's dangerous quackery that should be stamped out. Not through violent action or making it illegal (those actions have been used by the religious in the past). But by holding those who hold those opinions to standards of evidence.

If they can't meet those standards then they deserve ridicule. Ridicule being the most effective form, IMO, of not converting the religious - they can't be converted, they actively ignore evidence - but ensuring that others who come across that shit can see it for what it is. Pointless shit.

Evidence. Based. Thinking. Anything else is a waste of time...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There's a huge difference between practicing religion and faith (believing in god)
As a person who doesn't, I take an interest in understanding those who do..

I don't actually practise at all, i simply think there's something after death. I have a more precise thought on what, but it's rather irrelevant and usually just gives ammo to ridicule ;) It doesn't affect my thinking, how i feel about evolution, think of science, or any other aspect of my life, it's just a similar thought as "there's alien life". Sure i hold some values from there, but they're far from bad and no different then holding a parents teachings to heart. I just read about them and felt "Yeap, i agree on that."

The thing is though, any time one says they believe in something, anything really except "after death there's black, nothing", then you're clearly a beardy fella in sky loving loonie, which is completely false. Hell I even think that some organised religion is in the wrong and while it's not all bad, there's way too much negative factions around to make people think ALL religion is wicked. There's also way too amny tropes that people believe about all religious folk that, ironically, aren't based on a single shread of evidence :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
i simply think there's something after death. it's just a similar thought as "there's alien life"

No it isn't. One we have no evidence for, despite years of searching for some. Any whatsoever. The second is looking increasingly likely as we amass more and more knowledge and evidence about life through falsifiable testable means.

The thing is though, any time one says they believe in something, anything really except "after death there's black, nothing", then you're clearly a beardy fella in sky loving loonie

Which you are.

Much as it may give you comfort in times of despair, once you're dead, you're dead. Your consciousness is all over. No-one has every been able to provide a shred of credible evidence to the contrary.

Aliens, on the other hand...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Even if still my point wasn't about that, i do like your post due to it actually being on topic and reasonably civil :p

I think you can have a discussion without using phrases like idiocy etc, though i also like to try and see -how- i could make an argument on it. For example creationism, it would be kind of fun to try and defend it, or talk to someone believing in it a 100% and try to see it from their POV without completely going against it from the get go. You often can't though, as much as "idiocy and religion" go hand in hand, so do religion and anti-religious rants.

I guess i could put it like this; You don't have to respect other peoples opinions, you can also think they're compeltely bonkers, but i don't think it's not too much to ask to respect other people to such a degree that you don't have to burn rape and pillage their whole worldview and substitute it with your own.

That might be an interesting exercise if I didn't know anything about Genesis, but unfortunately I do, and as creation myths go, its not even one of the more interesting ones. I also know where the 6000 year figure comes from (its actually 6018 at this point), which isn't directly from Genesis in the first place, just some Irish bishop adding up all the "begats" in Genesis and coming up with a number. So its not really much fun to explore, and there's not much point in trying to understand the viewpoint of people who think everything in the Bible is literally true, especially since the damn thing routinely contradicts itself.

Once you know anything about the Bible, and Christianity in particular (Islam and Judaism actually at least have some philosophical merit, even the logic of Christianity is weird) then going off on an anti-religious rant is just cutting to the chase, eventually you're going to wind up at that position anyway.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Cue

'It's really easy to get your guys lols, I got you so hard'

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That might be an interesting exercise if I didn't know anything about Genesis, but unfortunately I do, and as creation myths go, its not even one of the more interesting ones. I also know where the 6000 year figure comes from (its actually 6018 at this point), which isn't directly from Genesis in the first place, just some Irish bishop adding up all the "begats" in Genesis and coming up with a number. So its not really much fun to explore, and there's not much point in trying to understand the viewpoint of people who think everything in the Bible is literally true, especially since the damn thing routinely contradicts itself.

Once you know anything about the Bible, and Christianity in particular (Islam and Judaism actually at least have some philosophical merit, even the logic of Christianity is weird) then going off on an anti-religious rant is just cutting to the chase, eventually you're going to wind up at that position anyway.

On a seperate reply just to keep things clear out of that *points* lot.

I was talking more about trying to come up with a non-biblical reasoning for the 6k(or however old) earth. Kind of what i said about VR being the only real possibility for that to be true.

I get your point and i can't stand talking to..hmm...bibleworshippers? either, just too uptight like hardcore atheists. Discussions are only fun if there's some kind of back and forth, exchanging of ideas, whatnot.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I get your point and i can't stand talking to..hmm...bibleworshippers? either, just too uptight like hardcore atheists. Discussions are only fun if there's some kind of back and forth, exchanging of ideas, whatnot.

Buuut, there is no point discussing whether the earth is 6k years old or not, because it isn't. The crazies have various dates and theories on creationism but they get shot down by evil Mr. Science all the time.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Buuut, there is no point discussing whether the earth is 6k years old or not, because it isn't. The crazies have various dates and theories on creationism but they get shot down by evil Mr. Science all the time.

Like i said to Scouse; then don't. Or rather why do you then?

I personally like to talk about what ifs and how coulds. As said it's no different from talking about xmen, or ghosts, superpowers, or magical noodlebeasts under the bed. It's just talkng, not trying to recruit people into some cult :p

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

Ah but let's not forget the ultimate "trump" card: the "you weren't there, so can't verify it" argument. Much like those batshit crazy flat earth fuckwits who claim you can't prove the earth isn't flat because you can't independently verify it for yourself.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ah but let's not forget the ultimate "trump" card: the "you weren't there, so can't verify it" argument. Much like those batshit crazy flat earth fuckwits who claim you can't prove the earth isn't flat because you can't independently verify it for yourself.
Even though you can, as anyone who's actually travelled around the world will attest...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually @Olgaline should we convert to Gameontology? Gameism? The world is flat and square, bugs are complete life ruiners and when you die you start over(unless you found s savepoint).

Plenty more of rules and regulations there to be had.

You can even explain why the world looks round from above as you switch zones and then when you come close enough you zone back in. Can't refute that with science!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
There's actually no record that people believed the world was flat, there's records of people believing there was more to the world, not entirely sure of it's shape, but it definitely was continuous.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Hah! Game-on-tologi

I like it!...Don't forget the (tm)

You can even explain dejavue..it's called la..la...laag

1. Nothing did infact come from nothing, and that nothing is called code!

2. A Creator?...Hell, infact a bunch of them! coders, grafics, storyline, etc...all hail Jeb and Tom

Yup....I'm a gameontologist from now on!

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Best part is that no one knows who the coders and artists are, but they're bringing new dlc in every day!

Only downside to this, obviously a free to play, is that sometimes the amount of Gameontologi points you earn for the grind is ridicilously different. And some have ebay accounts so they start with a shitton already.

New avatars are made every day and people get banned also. The support is negligable at best(can't get through to anyone), but i guess in a game this size it's expected. Queues must be huge.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
At least we know they are working on the new expansion...Mars

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Holy shit I thought @Big G was joking. Without delving into that site how on earth (tehehe) do they explain curvature of the horizon, um, the fact that the moon is round, any of the number of pictures that have been taken of the (very round) Earth from space, the day/night cycle, um, or anything at all??

edit: I have delved. Lol. Conspiracy nut-jobs. Every government that has ever been into space faked it and photographs aren't good enough proof.

I kinda want to register on that site to see their depictions of the flat Earth. :\

Oh my days, how can they say that the Sun is like a spotlight and that's how timezones work. Is there a big lampshade on it or something? It's a big ball of fire, it can't possibly be a directional lightsource.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
@Gwadien is talking about back in ye old days though, before anyone actually knew the world wasn't flat (although to be fair there seems to plenty of evidence that folks thought the world was flat in ye old days). The only people who believe it now belong in rooms with soft walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom