No idea Creation....

Creationism......

• It's Plausible...

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Da Truth of course! how blind can you be?

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Belongs in the fiction section...

Votes: 34 94.4%

• Total voters

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yes.

Too lazy to not use Wikipedia atm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Even says on that article there was a misconception, hehe, plebs may have thought the earth was flat, but plebs couldn't leave much evidence, but the 'educated' believed it was round to a certain extent, they thought it was round with Europe and Asia at the top and Africa at the bottom separated by huge straight rivers.

I'll find a image when I get on my PC.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah but that still equals flat. Maybe not in the sense of a big slab of earth floating about the place but they certainly didn't understand the concept of a spherical earth orbiting the sun... but it all depends on which culture you are discussing.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
@Gwadien is talking about back in ye old days though, before anyone actually knew the world wasn't flat (although to be fair there seems to plenty of evidence that folks thought the world was flat in ye old days). The only people who believe it now belong in rooms with soft walls.

Educated people have believed the world was round since Pythagoras. They generally got the size of the Earth wrong (which is why Columbus thought the Indies were reachable in the first place) but it wasn't some idea that just popped up in the Renaissance.

Gwadien

Yeah but that still equals flat. Maybe not in the sense of a big slab of earth floating about the place but they certainly didn't understand the concept of a spherical earth orbiting the sun... but it all depends on which culture you are discussing.
Europeans. Not really looked at Eastern Cultures, but Medieval China/'Islam' was far more advanced than Medieval Europe so I'd imagine that they knew a hell of a lot more than we did, well, Islam was known for its astrology.

Educated people have believed the world was round since Pythagoras. They generally got the size of the Earth wrong (which is why Columbus thought the Indies were reachable in the first place) but it wasn't some idea that just popped up in the Renaissance.

Yeah, my point is that Europeans didn't ever think it was literally flat, it was round to some extent, so yeah, I agree with what you're saying, so I don't know why I'm quoting you, I guess I need to argue with you for some reason.

YOU'RE GAY.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
But a disk is still flat... Plenty of Europeans thought the earth was flat at one point or another, just not maybe in the time of Columbus.

Plus ofc, there is more to the world than Europeans. There were far more complex societies on Earth before Europe was even a thing.

It even mentions it in that Shitepedia page.

Anything to add to your disagree snipe, @Scouse ?

Gwadien

But a disk is still flat... Plenty of Europeans thought the earth was flat at one point or another, just not maybe in the time of Columbus.

That's the point though, there is little to no evidence to suggest that people actually thought it was flat, I think that marsh mellows come from space and are implanted by little Aliens called Hoklikjunas, but that's just me, now, does that mean in the 21st Century people believed that marsh mellows came from space?

This is a part of my course that we're doing now, some history is 'attractive' so people latch onto it, and make it a 'fact' because it's interesting, although it's not a fact, because it's not really proven, and it's definitely disputed by a lot of medieval sources.

You can't use Wikipedia as a source though, it's made by people that generally don't have a clue.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So let me get this straight. You are saying man came of out the trees sure in the knowledge that the earth was a sphere?

...Also, history didn't start in medieval times, nor did it start in Greek or Roman times.

Edit. The actual myth that you are referring to was that Columbus sailed to prove that the earth wasn't flat, which is untrue. It is no myth that at one time people believed the earth to be flat, it is documented fact that people thought exactly that in many cultures at many points in history.

Gwadien

So let me get this straight. You are saying man came of out the trees sure in the knowledge that the earth was a sphere?
No, I'm referring to the medieval period, the period of time where people look back and say they didn't know and laugh, because THAT isn't true.

as Gaffer rightly said, the Greeks even knew the world was round (They thought we were central, sure, but they knew we were round.)

Edit; The medieval people that dispute that the world is flat in all fairness could be superstition, in the future, they might find sources of people writing about the 'bogeyman' but because he's such a wide-spread superstition it could be 'evidence' of him -actually- existing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, the Greeks thought it was flat until science proved it otherwise.

Gwadien

From your Wikipedia page;

Many ancient cultures have had conceptions of a flat Earth, including Greece until the classical period

I know what you're doing, you're citing off that Wikipedia page directly, trust me, from Ancient Greece to modern day, we knew the world was round.

Even if 20% of people thought the world was flat, it still proves that they 'knew' it was round.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So er yeah.

The Greeks thought it was flat until proven otherwise then? You do understand that the Greek period lasted quite a while and many things that they believed at the start of their civilisation were developed up and changed, right?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Er, yes? I am not sure how you don't understand what I said.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Wow, you're really touchy over a "disagree" aren't you m8? It's hardly sniping??! I figured a disagree was quite cultured tbh. It says "I disagree" not "you're a fucking retard"...

I disagree because people generally didn't think the earth was flat. The whole flat earther thing started relatively recently.

Edit:
Er, yes? I am not sure how you don't understand what I said.

You misunderstood him actually - he pointed out that the Ancient Greeks proved it round. (Although Gwad was late - it was proven to be round long before then IIRC)...

EditEdit: And teh funniez Gwad - RAGERAGERAGERAGE!111!11!/ravenon!!11!!!!!1

Gwadien

So I'm saying that it was the Greeks that found that the earth was round. I said the 'Greeks found that the Earth was round' and then you replied with 'No, Greece thought it was flat until proved by Science' which sort-of implies that Greece was not involved in that.

Infact, if you wanna go by Wikipedia sources, they found that in the 4th century BC, and I know you probably want to prove yourself right, by saying the fucking Neanderthals thought the world was flat, but that's irrelevant to the point that I am making.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So I'm saying that it was the Greeks that found that the earth was round. I said the 'Greeks found that the Earth was round' and then you replied with 'No, Greece thought it was flat until proved by Science' which sort-of implies that Greece was not involved in that.

Infact, if you wanna go by Wikipedia sources, they found that in the 4th century BC, and I know you probably want to prove yourself right, by saying the fucking Neanderthals thought the world was flat, but that's irrelevant to the point that I am making.

No, I (quite clearly) meant that the Greeks thought it was flat until they proved that it wasn't, through science, as with many other crazy ideas. It says as much in the article I posted. You know, the source we are talking about.

Greece didn't begin and end with a big book of facts, they did a hell of a lot of science, much of which wasn't rediscovered until the renaissance and even then it was only thanks to Muslims that conserved that knowledge.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

No, they theorised it was round because most of the other heavenly bodies were also round. The first genuine proof the world is round didn't happen until Magellan.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, they theorised it was round because most of the other heavenly bodies were also round. The first genuine proof the world is round didn't happen until Magellan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

Round is still flat...

The whole point of this discussion is that the flatearth nutjobs say that it is not a sphere, as in flat...it doesn't really make a lot of difference what shape the flat thing is.

The Greeks theorised that the earth was a sphere, so did the Romans, having previously thought it was flat (again, the shape is irrelevant) Which is exactly what I was saying in the first place.

The flat Earth myth relates to the myth that they thought the earth was flat in the middle ages. The myth isn't that humans have always thought the earth was a sphere.

Anyway, Gwad said that people had always believed the earth to be a sphere, which is patently bollocks because at one time, most people didn't even have a concept of a spherical earth, or heavenly bodies.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, it was a bit of a dig at you who moan when people do it to you...

Don't think I've ever complained of someone "sniping" at me when they've hit disagree. I do ask them to explain a facepalm with a reason why however...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The first genuine proof the world is round didn't happen until Magellan.

Not true. A reasonable approximation of the circumference of the earth was calculated in the time of the Egyptians IIRC - some bloke used shadow lengths from set-length poles a long distance (hundreds of miles) apart at midday to calculate the curvature of the earth's surface between them - and extrapolated from his calculated curvature that the earth was spherical and about 25,000 miles around...

...so a pretty accurate proof long before the uneducated Europeans got in on the act.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah i've never seen the "science community" quote wikipedia of all things in such vigor :p

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Soooooooooo........did we fucking come from fishes or not?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, we got here through alien insemination of monkeys. True facts.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Heretics. We got here through the character creation screen(yeah you chose that ugly nose for lols and/or realism)) and the game just suppresses our memories to give a better immersion.

Gwadien

Heretics. We got here through the character creation screen(yeah you chose that ugly nose for lols and/or realism)) and the game just suppresses our memories to give a better immersion.
So you're saying when we start life, we actually create our characters, and then become unaware that we actually -are- the creators?

Seems legit, could explain why people are the way they are - rich people usually sociopaths, ugly people nicer people etc etc

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
'people thought' is a generalisation of epic proportions...people think a lot of shit now and differing views scan across human history..very little education and minimum spreading of information outside small groups led to heresay and myth.
It was pretty obvious it wasn't totally flat if you climbed a mountain on a clear day you could see things drop over the horizon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom