council fail

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Just reading about this Councils blasted in gritting row - *MSN News - MSN UK and I realised I've only seen 2 gritters throughout the week. How the hell can they think they're done an ok job, the only roads that aren't covered in a layer of compacted snow and ice are main roads, but not because of grit because of the constant traffic on them, and the supermarket carparks.

Dirty tactics for the upcoming election or just general incompetance?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
The pavements around Leeds including the centre are fucking leathal. Its beyond a joke.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Basingstoke was amusing the night before last. Whole lotta cars abandoned overnight and the cops having to patrol somewhat more during the night to keep an eye out for those that might take advantage.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The gritters did a fantastic job in my town. Every road was completely snow free.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Seen one gritter which wasn't gritting, just driving down a snow covered road. They gritted the main A roads and left the rest in Northampton.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
We've had practically all the towns grit bins removed over the years, and there isn't a single one in the town centre! complete mayhem.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Croydon Council have been absolutely abysmal. Especially so considering the lack of gritting certain very steep hills that we have. They must think the local populous is smarter than it looks or have just forgotten the literal car skating that occurred the last time it snowed.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Grit isn't a magical solution you know, and gritters very often work late at night, or early in the morning, so you won't necessarily see them.

I don't know. When I was a kid it was brilliant if it snowed. Think of the children1!11!one

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nobody said it was a magical solution?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
That was the clear inference. Roads may be gritted but still end up covered in snow and ice. Timing is everything, and councils, like everybody else, don't possess working crystal balls.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
They do have access to the met office information and they havent prepared at all. They could of had grit boxes on stand by and people ready to grit pavements etc

DOG SHITE

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not nearly as fussed by the roads, but the non existence of yellow grit boxes so people could grit pavements is a complete farce.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Like Tom I tend to believe most councils did fine but no doubt some failed although at the end of the day unless you invest a lot more money then you will always have a certain amount of issues.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That was the clear inference. Roads may be gritted but still end up covered in snow and ice. Timing is everything, and councils, like everybody else, don't possess working crystal balls.
Not really but thanks for playing another round of "rewrite what was said".

Kryten

Old Cow.
Many of said yellow boxes o'grit have long gone because an individual who took it upon themselves to grit a public highway may find themselves sued by a member of public clumsy enough to fall over anyway. Fucking ridiculous. Someone tried to tell me off for gritting our car park, I quickly told them to grow up. There's a steep incline which terminates directly on the main A6 which is VERY busy. One slip of the brake and several people could be severely hurt. So, I do it just about every morning.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not really but thanks for playing another round of "rewrite what was said".

I did no such thing. People claimed that councils had not been out gritting. I pointed out that they may well have been, but that gritting doesn't always work.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm not nearly as fussed by the roads, but the non existence of yellow grit boxes so people could grit pavements is a complete farce.

Really, so how many of these boxes should there be, and where should they go? You can't have them on every street, and they don't hold enough to grit 100 yards of road.

Are you really expecting the council to provide say, 5,000 yellow boxes, all filled with grit, for what amounts to about 1 week per year of poor weather?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Well Tom, yes, yes they should.

What the fuck else do they spend their money on? If my nan slips and breaks a hip because there is no gritting bins around by her flats then there will be hell to pay.

Also I can always tell when the roads have been gritted because there is....well.....grit on them, so if the truck did its gritting at 3am when I was asleep I would still know if they had been or not due to the little brown nuggets on the road.

Councils are ***** and a man who chooses to stick up for them needs to have a fucking awesome argument.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm desparate to see some of this "chaos". :(

I've been driving all over Britain for the past few days and the only place I saw anything approaching chaos was in stoke where 4 women had somehow managed to crash into each other on dry roads...

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I did no such thing. People claimed that councils had not been out gritting. I pointed out that they may well have been, but that gritting doesn't always work.
Well actually you did, straight off the bat with the magical sarcasm. Anyway, this is going to become circular so I'll break it here.

As for the boxes, lets go back to the beginning, why did they remove the ones that previously existed?

Scouse, come drive near me my friend, bottom of a hill. Watch the retard gene at work as people think that by taking a run up and flooring it when they get stuck, they will ascend said hill.

They soon discover that they are not Clarkson and co in the Top Gear polar special and also discover that involuntary reverse gear.

This said, the abandoned cars look very pretty at diagonals to the kerb all the way down, almost like a Christmas tree.

Trem

I'm desparate to see some of this "chaos". :(

I've been driving all over Britain for the past few days and the only place I saw anything approaching chaos was in stoke where 4 women had somehow managed to crash into each other on dry roads...

Roads aren't awful around Stoke but the pavements, I mean every pavement, is like an ice rink. Having said that only the main roads have been gritted/traffic kept them clear.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well Tom, yes, yes they should.

What the fuck else do they spend their money on? If my nan slips and breaks a hip because there is no gritting bins around by her flats then there will be hell to pay.

Also I can always tell when the roads have been gritted because there is....well.....grit on them, so if the truck did its gritting at 3am when I was asleep I would still know if they had been or not due to the little brown nuggets on the road.

Councils are ***** and a man who chooses to stick up for them needs to have a fucking awesome argument.

You tell me, their budget breakdown should be included in your annual council tax statement. I know mine does.

As for your nan, well I'm sorry but should the council also provide warm coats and big umbrellas, if it rains for a few days? After all she might get pneumonia if they don't supply such things. Its called personal responsibility. I don't expect the council to grit everything everywhere, as long as the main roads are done, and roads where one might expect a serious accident could occur if it remained ungritted, that's fine with me. Anything else, well if I slide on an ungritted side road its my own stupid fault for trying to drive down it.

Councils aren't all bad, despite what people might think. Yes they're generally full of loony left communist hippie twats, but they also have plenty of people with common sense.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
You tell me, their budget breakdown should be included in your annual council tax statement.

Being unable to do something is not the same as they shouldn't do something.

Councils aren't all bad, despite what people might think. Yes they're generally full of loony left communist hippie twats, but they also have plenty of people with common sense.

Yep, this I agree with. They are populated with ordinary people after all with the same strengths and weaknesses you find outside of councils. While I have never worked for a council, I've had to work closely with some in the past. They are however responsible for the culture they create within their own organisation, but thats arguably a whole separate topic ;)

Trem

As for your nan, well I'm sorry but should the council also provide warm coats and big umbrellas, if it rains for a few days? After all she might get pneumonia if they don't supply such things. Its called personal responsibility.

If she's cold she puts a jumper on, if she's hungry she gets food to eat, if she is dirty she has a bath thats personal repsonsibility unless of course you meant she should go and buy her own grit bin, carry it home on her back and grit all the paths around her flats....is that what you meant? Or did you mean its her responsibility to have rocket shoes that zoom her above the ice and at the same time causing it to melt....is that what you mean?

Honestly Tom what you are saying is hard to justify, how can you justify them not putting a grit bin in heavily populated areas for the public to grit the councils own pavements, how can you argue that they shouldn't do that? If its bad weather for a week or 2 and the bins have sat there all through summer so fucking what? They found the money to provide recycle bins for vertually everyone in the country but wait, all that tin they recycle makes them money not to mention the goverment incentives put in place, a grit bin just costs them money.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I actually have something to contribute!:

If my nan slips and breaks a hip because there is no gritting bins around by her flats then there will be hell to pay.

Ask your nan how it "used to be".

My mother's been droning on for years that people are lazy fucktards nowadays 'cause when she was younger they used to remove all the snow and ice and salt the bit of pavement in front of their own house...

...without expecting the council/someone else to do it for them.

Blame lazy fucktard capitalist society. For fuck sake, it's a bit of snow. Snow makes things slippy. So live with it and stop moaning!

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
As Trem has already mentioned the fact that the councils hadn't gritted was obvious because of the lack of the small brown pebbles on the ground. Also the fact that a good 2 inches of compacted snow is still sat on the ground.

I honestly don't think you're going ot find many people who agree with you Tom. The councils job is to grit roads, we pay the fuckers to look after those roads with our council tax and ridiculous road tax (note its called a road tax not a vehicle tax even though it's not interchangeable between vehicles)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If she's cold she puts a jumper on, if she's hungry she gets food to eat, if she is dirty she has a bath thats personal repsonsibility unless of course you meant she should go and buy her own grit bin, carry it home on her back and grit all the paths around her flats....is that what you meant? Or did you mean its her responsibility to have rocket shoes that zoom her above the ice and at the same time causing it to melt....is that what you mean?

Honestly Tom what you are saying is hard to justify, how can you justify them not putting a grit bin in heavily populated areas for the public to grit the councils own pavements, how can you argue that they shouldn't do that? If its bad weather for a week or 2 and the bins have sat there all through summer so fucking what? They found the money to provide recycle bins for vertually everyone in the country but wait, all that tin they recycle makes them money not to mention the goverment incentives put in place, a grit bin just costs them money.

Right, so they put a grit bin near your nan's house. Its still 100 yards up the road, so she has to get there first, with a shovel, or barrow. Then she has to cart the shovel back, except she's an old lady and the grit is frozen solid, and she doesn't have the strength to hack it apart.

And the council don't have unlimited resources, so someone else doesn't get a grit bin.

I don't ever remember a grit bin where I was. When I was growing up, it got icy, you fell over, tough shit. All part of the fun. Nobody thought to blame the council. Break your leg? NHS will fix that, for nothing.

Oh and recycling is a bit of a straw man argument really, they found the money to do that because the EU started charging them for landfill.

Really, to expect a council to have a fleet of gritting lorries sat waiting, with the men to drive them, and thousands of gritting bins dotted around a constituency, its just daft. Complete waste of money, for what amounts to usually no more than 2 weeks of snow per year.

Trem

Right, so they put a grit bin near your nan's house. Its still 100 yards up the road, so she has to get there first, with a shovel, or barrow. Then she has to cart the shovel back, except she's an old lady and the grit is frozen solid, and she doesn't have the strength to hack it apart.

And the council don't have unlimited resources, so someone else doesn't get a grit bin.

I don't ever remember a grit bin where I was. When I was growing up, it got icy, you fell over, tough shit. All part of the fun. Nobody thought to blame the council.

Oh and recycling is a bit of a straw man argument really, they found the money to do that because the EU started charging them for landfill.

Really, to expect a council to have a fleet of gritting lorries sat waiting, with the men to drive them, and thousands of gritting bins dotted around a constituency, its just daft. Complete waste of money, for what amounts to usually no more than 2 weeks of snow per year.

My nan is 85, one of her neighbours would grit her path for her or I would, you didn't need grit bins when you were younger like my nan needs them, she needs them to not break a hip. Or why doesn't she just stay in her flat until the ice has thawed, would that be a better idea? 85 and confined to her flat because the cunting council won't fork out for a grit bin, she likes to walk across to her shops and fetch a paper but fuck it, she shouldn't be so stupid as to want to do that.

As to the grit bins being a waste of money, what a joke, are all the fancy bullshit staues "dotted" around the country and so called art work not a waste of money? Are the big metal trees they commisioned in our local park (which is packed with real trees) not a waste of money? Honestly Tom how can you defend the council on this?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well if one of her neighbours is to do it, or you, then why not just go to the builder's merchant, buy a bag of rocksalt, and do it anyway? Its cheap enough.

Do you really want your council to spend an extra few million quid on the staff and resources to grit every single road and every single patch of pavement in the constituency, for the sake of a few days of snow and ice?

If you do, then perhaps you shouldn't be moaning at me. Perhaps you should be moaning at your local councillors. Maybe the council should also provide drinking fountains, in case theres a drought and your nan keels over from sunstroke on her way to get a paper.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yeah, I watched something on the news - and they basically said this;

"because we ran out last year - we're going to not run out, so we basically have it there, so we can point and lol, and say we've got it, hahaha, and then we've got our MAIN INNER CITY STREETS UNGRITTED and old people falling over and breaking bones - But that doesn't matter, because it means we've still got some! Yay"

Its silly tbh - Surely, they should grit everywhere that needs gritting from piriotiry order - IE - going from inside the shower, going outer the city, if they run out, get more?

Sometimes, I think I could run this country better than they are atm, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom