Children and F*CKING language.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Dear All. Please don't bypass the c word on the swear filter. It's not like we have a massive number of items on the list ffs. Thanks.

Deebs has done it on several occasions, as have others. Why follow a rule when the big boss clearly doesn't give a fuck about it?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've been against the swear filter from the start. Wazz's argument is compelling too, but wtf eh...

Anyway, nice noblok. :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deebs has done it on several occasions, as have others. Why follow a rule when the big boss clearly doesn't give a fuck about it?
Because if he wants to be a hypocrite on his site that's his business? or more politely if he didn't care about it at all he'd remove it. To be blunt, I'd be fine with that because it's stupid that I can say "fucking bastard" but not "fucking ****" no?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So who has ever been punished for avoiding it? Anyone? If no, there's no point in having it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Actually there is a good reason for having it, but only if its done as part of a wider package of restrictions I'm sure no-one wants to sign up to. The C-word is a particular flag for corporate nsfw nanny-software, but since you have the boob and booty threads and this is still classed as a "games" site, the point is kind of moot, so there's no particular benefit to blocking the c-word on its own.

Problem is when people decide to litter every other word in a sentence with expletives; use them sparingly (any of them) and they have more impact.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Joining the discussion massively late it seems, however something I've always thought about swearing/"offensive" words is that they're simply a means in which people with a lower vocabulary and patience for the english language to vent their anger/frustration/offensive behaviour.

If you find yourself needing to swear at somebody to get your point across I'd suggest taking a long hard look at yourself and re-evaluate to manner in which you approach things.

Obviously I'm not saying that swearing is completely ridiculous and should never be used, however there is a time and a place. There are thousands of words in the english language I suggest people start to learn the meaning of these and use accordingly.

You'll also notice that society classes have a massively different view on foul language.

Edit: And as for swearing around children. if you wish your child to grow up and use swear words in arguments/conversations to get his point across by all means swear all you like, but personally I'd much prefer my child to have a level of eloquence when speaking to others.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Swearing has nothing to do with class, as pointed out earlier. The notion that swearing is somehow common, lacking intelligence, or even downright "poor folk language" is ridicilous. Swearing vents pressure(unless you swear half the words) and as such works a lot better then not swearing and start punching people.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Swearing has nothing to do with class, as pointed out earlier. The notion that swearing is somehow common, lacking intelligence, or even downright "poor folk language" is ridicilous. Swearing vents pressure(unless you swear half the words) and as such works a lot better then not swearing and start punching people.

All I'll respond to this is, have you spend much time around folk that would place themselves in the middle/upper class?

I'm fairly confident you'll be extremely surprised at their use or rather lack of use of swear words/offensive language.

Not saying that upper class people do not swear but its far less often than say a working class citizen - therefore there is absolutely nothing that can deter my opinion that swearing is class based.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
All I'll respond to this is, have you spend much time around folk that would place themselves in the middle/upper class?

I'm fairly confident you'll be extremely surprised at their use or rather lack of use of swear words/offensive language.

Not saying that upper class people do not swear but its far less often than say a working class citizen - therefore there is absolutely nothing that can deter my opinion that swearing is class based.

Well, elitism is blind as they say. Using swearing to widen the cap is weak and to use the notion that if you curse, you're worth less, is more so.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I heard it's cool to swear in every sentence.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Well, elitism is blind as they say. Using swearing to widen the cap is weak and to use the notion that if you curse, you're worth less, is more so.

Nobody said that you're worth less - however if swearing makes you feel like you're worth less I suggest you've essentially just shot yourself in the foot regarding your argument "for" swearing.

I merely used class as an example of the gap between education/swearing.

For instance if you took a random child from a local state school in stoke-on-trent and compared said child to a random child from a public school in a wealthy "higher class" area you'll find that the one from stoke-on-trent will be more fluent in foul language whilst at the same time having significantly lower grades within education.

There is clearly a correlation between folk that swear to get their point across to ones that have a vocabulary under their belts.

One way or another everybody swears I'm aware of this, however people that have to rely on swear words to enforce a point are the ones that I pity.

Also Caleen said it right - growing up all the kids of my age thought it was "cool to use swear words in every sentence" however its the adults that swear in every sentence I feel influence this more than anything.

Calaen

Don't you have someone to punch becasuse they didn't say "bless you"?

You've really got deep rooted issues. And I don't believe i've ever know anyone take things so far out of context.

It comes close to rivalling your "people who eat cauliflower at restaurant should be banned because you don't like the smell" comment in relation to the smoking ban.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
For instance if you took a random child from a local state school in stoke-on-trent and compared said child to a random child from a public school in a wealthy "higher class" area you'll find that the one from stoke-on-trent will be more fluent in foul language whilst at the same time having significantly lower grades within education.

Maybe, you forgot the key word there.

Swearing and grades have nothing to do with eachother. While someone with low grades may swear, so may the one with high grades.

You're making is sound like swearing = lower class, which translates directly to "you are worth less". Elitism, bullsh*t.

You've really got deep rooted issues. And I don't believe i've ever know anyone take things so far out of context.

It comes close to rivalling your "people who eat cauliflower at restaurant should be banned because you don't like the smell" comment in relation to the smoking ban.

It was an over-exaggaration of your previous posts, yet you took it 100% cereal. Well done.

If you can't take that, try not to post moronic one liners.

Taklking about issues; i wonder who it is that keeps stalking every thread i make and post something along the lines of "he's a ****" without any contribution to the topic. Time for you to grab your toys and GTFO.

noblok

Part of the furniture
There is clearly a correlation between folk that swear to get their point across to ones that have a vocabulary under their belts.
Swearwords are part of any vocabulary though. Avoiding them limits the range of expressions you can use. I'm not saying you have to use them in every sentence, but sometimes they are simply the most apt words to express a certain sentiment.

I'm not convinced swearing is used by people with a more limited vocabulary. As you said yourself, the kid from stoke-on-trent will be more fluent in foul language. This means, he knows a different range of vocabulary; he'll know words the rich kid doesn't know. His specific vocabulary isn't tested at school though, the rich kid's is, hence the lower grades.

Calaen

If you can't take that, try not to post moronic one liners.

Taklking about issues; i wonder who it is that keeps stalking every thread i make and post something along the lines of "he's a ****" without any contribution to the topic. Time for you to grab your toys and GTFO.

Sorry every thread? I'd suggest you lay off the meds.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
What I'm saying is somebody relies on swearing to get their point across is more likely to have difficulty achieving higher grades in school compared to an individual that doesn't need to rely on swearing etc to get their point across.

you're interpreting my views as elitist I believe, however I'm merely stating that there are two sides to the argument if you think the other side is elitist then that is your choice :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Swearwords are part of any vocabulary though. Avoiding them limits the range of expressions you can use. I'm not saying you have to use them in every sentence, but sometimes they are simply the most apt words to express a certain sentiment.

I'm not convinced swearing is used by people with a more limited vocabulary. As you said yourself, the kid from stoke-on-trent will be more fluent in foul language. This means, he knows a different range of vocabulary; he'll know words the rich kid doesn't know. His specific vocabulary isn't tested at school though, the rich kid's is, hence the lower grades.

Quite right, my vocabulary is probably one of the highest in this joint, considering i'm not native, yet i curse. This would mean, by previous posts, that i'm limited in my vocabulary.

Aka, bullcrap.

Sorry every thread? I'd suggest you lay off the meds.

Pretty much. I've yet to see one thread i've made this year, where you have posted with off-topic insults. (Now i'm sure you'll go find one and think it's proof, but numbers are against you).

What I'm saying is somebody relies on swearing to get their point across is more likely to have difficulty achieving higher grades in school compared to an individual that doesn't need to rely on swearing etc to get their point across.

you're interpreting my views as elitist I believe, however I'm merely stating that there are two sides to the argument if you think the other side is elitist then that is your choice :)

The problem is, you're stating it as fact. Your opinion comes through as "cursing = lower grades for a fact", when it is simply a case of lower grades = probably cursing. The cursing ni itself, or different vocabulary, doesn't equal lower grades.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH

Good point in which I slightly agree, however I'm not necessarily referring to class as wealth obviously I used the example of stoke vs rich area as I live in stoke on trent and am quite familiar with the level of intelligence in this city :p

Schools generally all teach the same curriculum however therefore the two children should actually have the same vocabulary/opportunities.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Quite right, my vocabulary is probably one of the highest in this joint, considering i'm not native, yet i curse. This would mean, by previous posts, that i'm limited in my vocabulary.

Aka, bullcrap.

Pretty much. I've yet to see one thread i've made this year, where you have posted with off-topic insults. (Now i'm sure you'll go find one and think it's proof, but numbers are against you).

The problem is, you're stating it as fact. Your opinion comes through as "cursing = lower grades for a fact", when it is simply a case of lower grades = probably cursing. The cursing ni itself, or different vocabulary, doesn't equal lower grades.

You really need to stop, and read my posts - I said people that rely on swear words generally have a limited vocabulary. I didn't say people that use swear words, hell I use swear words when I feel they're necessary and I definitely have a rather large vocabulary being an english literature graduate helps I guess.

noblok

Part of the furniture
Schools generally all teach the same curriculum however therefore the two children should actually have the same vocabulary/opportunities.
School is far from the only place where a vocabulary is taught, though. It's not even the most important one.

Calaen

I doubt the people from high society are unaware of the many words now available for use as insults/swearing. The internet allows you to find it all out.

I do doubt however the working class kids you're on about who use swear words alot, would be online looking through the oxford dictionary :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You really need to stop, and read my posts - I said people that rely on swear words generally have a limited vocabulary. I didn't say people that use swear words, hell I use swear words when I feel they're necessary and I definitely have a rather large vocabulary being an english literature graduate helps I guess.

And i said i disagree. Stop patronising.

It's generalising and as usual, it's most likely false.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
And i said i disagree. Stop patronising.

It's generalising and as usual, it's most likely false.

by debating in a mature fashion you have now deemed my responses patronising.

perhaps you can now understand why people may take the use of foul language in an argument to be aggressive and offensive.

and I do believe that is check-mate.

Debating the issue was fun just before lunch however from what I can see you started a debate in a vain attempt to preach your opinion to the crowd and not see the flipside of the coin, therefore I'm out.

gohan

FH is my second home
by debating in a mature fashion you have now deemed my responses patronising.

perhaps you can now understand why people may take the use of foul language in an argument to be aggressive and offensive.

and I do believe that is check-mate.

Debating the issue was fun just before lunch however from what I can see you started a debate in a vain attempt to preach your opinion to the crowd and not see the flipside of the coin, therefore I'm out.

it's not dragons den mate you can't call yourself out!

also

"You've got fuck all to say and you're saying it too loud"

sounds much better than

"You've got nothing to say and you're saying it too loud"

same meaning same sentance but one word just gives it alot more power,

it has nothing to do with interlect, it's to do with the social enviroment you're in (i.e you wouldn't swear at work but down the pub it's standard) and the situation

so take your upperclass bullshit and go choke on it :) kthxbye

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom