Balancing Migrations or Server Cloning...PLEASE!

ClaretMatt

Fledgling Freddie
Sometimes I only have an hour to play the game with, and more often than not that hour is wasted sitting in a queue!

I'm not moaning cos I chose the realm, but I see other realms are under-populated and I would love to fill their.. erm... ranks. (see what I did there?!)

I just can't wait that long to get in!

Frosty

Fledgling Freddie
wasting your breath matey. many many people all over the world are asking the same thing, but alas no answers are coming out from goa.

In many forums players are saying they would rather go back to Wow and play with their freinds then be solo on warhammer as they cant seem to log on with the Q's.

I for one hate wow but i can see how its going , great game but frustratiing to try and play with freinds.

Imagine what its going top be like with raids . you go link dead or crash that sthe end of the raid for you.

ClaretMatt

Fledgling Freddie
I'd never go back to WoW. This is the game for me, I just need to be able to get in!

Popov

Fledgling Freddie
WoW had massive problems with server queues after launch and took many months to fix the server queues to allow you to jump the queue after a crash, this game has been live for under 4 days so give them the same chance you obviously gave Blizzard.

Frosty

Fledgling Freddie
WoW had massive problems with server queues after launch and took many months to fix the server queues to allow you to jump the queue after a crash, this game has been live for under 4 days so give them the same chance you obviously gave Blizzard.

Well all i can say is when i played wow i never was in a Q's for mor ethen 2 mins ever.

But the problem here is that goa promised to open the servers up more and more so the Q's are less but have not done much . and in the mean time poeple and moved about and remade chars and feel that they shouldnt have to keep remaking new characters every other day.

i dont feel by the amount of players i see in game that the servers are holding very many.

If people dont want to play order you cant make them in the end they will just quit game.

As for new players joining any large grp of players who want to play would be playing already, all your going to get from now on are stragglers.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Why should we give GOA months to sort this out?

Overpopulated servers were highly likely to happen, people like to join servers together which causes population problems. People certainly don't like to reroll onto other servers when they've got hours/days/weeks invested in a character on a particular server, as well as the fact their guild is on there too.

It was a known issue before release that something like this could happen, both Mythic and GOA should have solutions ready for it.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
i dont feel by the amount of players i see in game that the servers are holding very many.

I agree with this, on Eight Peaks destro, highest population according to the queues and I don't see many people...a handfull in each zone.

Everytime I queue for scenarios I seem to fight the same people over and over again. It's as if there is only about 200 ppl online...sometimes it's like running round Dyvet ;x

Soazak

Part of the furniture
both Mythic and GOA should have solutions ready for it.

The community consistently told Mythic (not sure about GOA) that the best way to handle it would be to have all the launch servers available at headstart release last Sunday, but they insisted on only releasing a handful they thought it was all that was needed, and when more people play they can just open more..

They simply ignored the fact people will only ever try to play on the headstart servers because thats where their friends/guilds are that got CE.

Only a few guilds with CE players decided to move to a less populated server, and that completly removes the point of any headstart they had. :(

Theres probably little they can do about it now, other than wait for people to get tired and leave/quit. Transfering should help a bit, Cloning doesn't seem to have helped Skull Throne on US servers though.

mgX

Fledgling Freddie
to me it seems kinda weird... the old daoc servers ended up being capped at 3½k and there wer millons of ppl all over the place...in war its like...even if the server is capped, there aint alot of ppl on... perhaps they up the cap later on when ppl scatter round the world more?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
The community consistently told Mythic (not sure about GOA) that the best way to handle it would be to have all the launch servers available at headstart release last Sunday, but they insisted on only releasing a handful they thought it was all that was needed, and when more people play they can just open more..

They simply ignored the fact people will only ever try to play on the headstart servers because thats where their friends/guilds are that got CE.

Only a few guilds with CE players decided to move to a less populated server, and that completly removes the point of any headstart they had. :(

Theres probably little they can do about it now, other than wait for people to get tired and leave/quit. Transfering should help a bit, Cloning doesn't seem to have helped Skull Throne on US servers though.

They didn't know exactly how many servers would be needed though. Also even if they knew exactly how many servers if they didn't have any population caps some servers would be hugely over populated while others would be empty. The fact is not all the head start servers are over populated so its not like they simply didn't have enough at the head start.

Cloning is a good idea and does help. It gives players an option to move servers without losing anything if they want. If they want to keep playing on the servers with queues then that is their choice.

Server caps are an unfortunate requirement early on to prevent large server imbalance which will be a much bigger problem later on if not dealt with.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
They didn't know exactly how many servers would be needed though. Also even if they knew exactly how many servers if they didn't have any population caps some servers would be hugely over populated while others would be empty.

Maybe not how many they needed, but they knew exactly how many servers they were opening on Thursday the 18th and stated it in a news post before headstart.

Mythic for example had 10 open on Headstart launch day to spread between 60'000 CE pre orders, they then planned to increase this to 30 servers on 18th for live release. Every guild that had at least 1 CE pre order member, or anyone who had a friend who ordered CE is therefore instantly drawn to one of the original 10 servers.

Had they opened all 30 which they planned on the 14th, CE players with headstart could have chosen any server, and therefore spread the load. Come SE/Live start dates, new people joining would still be able to play the server their friends/guild are on but this would not just be a selection of 10 servers.

But this is done now, I don't really have too much of a problem about the queues...I realise I have to put up with them if I am to play with my friends, CTD is a problem. Server transfer would be nice for those who do not have any guild/friend ties to the server I guess..

Blizzard did the same with the 'terrible 20' servers at release, it does not work and causes the exact problems we have right now. :(

Mark Jacobs stated he knew it would be fine as they had plenty of resources to open new servers as required (I believe Magnus/Ianc said the same?) but this does not help if people are not willing to start on them due to their friends being on the CE servers... and this was pointed out on WHA/VN many times to the powers that be.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Mythic for example had 10 open on Headstart launch day to spread between 60'000 CE pre orders, they then planned to increase this to 30 servers on 18th for live release. Every guild that had at least 1 CE pre order member, or anyone who had a friend who ordered CE is therefore instantly drawn to one of the original 10 servers.

Had they opened all 30 which they planned on the 14th, CE players with headstart could have chosen any server, and therefore spread the load. Come SE/Live start dates, new people joining would still be able to play the server their friends/guild are on but this would not just be a selection of 10 servers.

But WAR is a PvP game. If they had opened up all the servers at Head Start then alot of the CE players would have had nothing to do but PvE. We don't know what exactly would have happened if they had opened up all the servers but I would guess that a large number of CE players would have found themselves on the same few servers.

Draig

Fledgling Freddie
In the last 5 years when did 800 people on a server suddenly become full, when most games server cap at around 2.5k .:twak:

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
In the last 5 years when did 800 people on a server suddenly become full, when most games server cap at around 2.5k .:twak:

If you're referring to the number in brackets (315 Order, 577 Destro), that's very likely just the Queue itself, not the total amount of players.

emma

Loyal Freddie
Server caps for these are 8k afaik 4k each side, ideally it needs increasing to 8k each side though to cope with the numbers of people attempting to access the game, specially on the headstart servers.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Would be nice to know if the servers are at full cap yet or not I can't imagine that they are though, hopefully the coming week will see some action being taken or at least some info on what is/can be done.

rynnor

Rockhound
Hmm - surely the crashes indicate the servers are running at pretty much capacity?

jizzah

Fledgling Freddie
IMO they're doing this so in our frustration, we roll chars on order rather than destruction, balancing the realms. Then, once the sides have evened up they'll push the cap up 1000 or so to remove any queing. My 2 cents.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I'd say if there was any capping to try and push people to Order it'd be aimed at new players...

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
Server caps for these are 8k afaik 4k each side, ideally it needs increasing to 8k each side though to cope with the numbers of people attempting to access the game, specially on the headstart servers.

Increasing server cap thoughtlessly like this would also mean increased server instability.

Risengrave

Fledgling Freddie
Server Queues are unacceptable, waiting 30 mins to log in is unnaceptable.
I'll be putting up up with it til I have to start paying but as soon as that time comes if things haven't improved significantly I'm afraid I can't see myself continuing with WaR.

I love the game but not the queues, it is still early days so am willing to let it slide for now, give them a chance to sort themselves out which I am hoping they will sooner rather than later.

Oh and if you feel like posting "OMFG then leave noone cares dont let the door hit you on the wayout" you'll be wasting your time.

I don't want to quit playing , especially at such an early stage og the game, I enjoy playing it when I do get in. Shame it's being spoiled by something that is relatively easy to fix. They have a lot of things to sort out so soon after launch and for that reason I think people should cut them a "little" slack.

Finuval Plain Server

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Hmm - surely the crashes indicate the servers are running at pretty much capacity?

That doesn't necessarily follow though it could very well be a factor. I can think of rather a lot of ways for a server (or cluster) to roll over and die and not all of them are load-based.

mgX

Fledgling Freddie
That doesn't necessarily follow though it could very well be a factor. I can think of rather a lot of ways for a server (or cluster) to roll over and die and not all of them are load-based.

bad pointers BAD POINTERS!!...always blame stoopid programmers and bad pointers....nr. 2 is nevah divide with 0 ;)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I've seen a supposed qualified DBA take down the active node on a SQL virtual cluster in the production LAN. Wanker :D

instant0

Fledgling Freddie
Karak-Hirn, 537 people in queue right now.
So glad I got head-start and the CE so I could queue with my guild. :)
At least they regret voting "Destruction" now.

If they at least made sure you'd 'get back in' whenever you switched character or crashed, it would not be so bad.
Or let CE's bypass the queue :)

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
FOUR english core rule servers aren't full on the destruction side.... but they are High...

I mean, moving server ? It won't help as we'll all flog to the 4 servers that aren't full and the fun will begin again.

Up the cap... come on, Mythic should have expected this when they created the game.

If this keeps up, we'll all end up playing Order and F"ing up the order login queue's :(

And restarting on another server... then I'd like my Head Start period added in free days to my account.

If they don't do something about this soon, I see a bad moon rising over War

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Couldn't edit anymore... but here's a first :

I tried to get in the queue on Karak Eight Peaks to play my 21 chosen (no I don't care to restart on another server, thanks) and got the message : Too many players logged in, please try again later

So I couldn't even join the queue to queue to play... There obviously isn't just a server cap but a queue cap aswell ...

Zagzyg

Loyal Freddie
FOUR english core rule servers aren't full on the destruction side.... but they are High...

I mean, moving server ? It won't help as we'll all flog to the 4 servers that aren't full and the fun will begin again.

Up the cap... come on, Mythic should have expected this when they created the game.

If this keeps up, we'll all end up playing Order and F"ing up the order login queue's :(

And restarting on another server... then I'd like my Head Start period added in free days to my account.

If they don't do something about this soon, I see a bad moon rising over War
I was about to post something similar, after joining the over an hour long queue for Karak hirn, then bumped something after about 20 minutes, and had to rejoin the queue at the back.
So, thinking by the time I get in, I won't have time to play, I'll just mess about on another server. Might have to try out one of those wimpy, girly order characters it seems, if you want to play this game at all.

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Great news everyone! We will clone the following English servers on Wednesday!

• Karak Eight Peaks > Tor Anroc
  • Karak Azgal > Zhufbar
  • Karak Hirn > Yvresse
  • Eltharion > Tiranoc

Get your guilds together and make sure everyone is on the same page by Wednesday!

-Magnus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom