What Will Cloning Fix?

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
All this hassle over mythic’s shoddy programming and GOAs below average networks, the servers can't be that full to warrant 300 player ques and server cloning? For instance if you were to want to play a scenario in high Elf land it takes like 30-40mins unless it’s bang on 9/10pm. I go to PQs in tier 2 and there are barely people there to do it, unless you find a decent nice WB at another and convince them to move.

The bugs in this client are hideous; I’ve crashed and lagged more then any other game. I and everyone else reported all the CTDs back in like early 07 beta on us servers. None of the satiability has been fixed, for a late 08 game it’s shockingly below average in performance and stability and even graphics.

Just look at AoC beta, it had more players on one server and there were no crash’s or lag. So I dread to think what will happen if a load of players leave, I can’t be arsed trying to play in a semi ghost town game. On a daoc player sever with no daoc players.

Oh and "in before the whine thread", I’m the last person to moan about ques, I just spent 40 mins in a que to instant CTD and I’m not too fussed.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
WAR works perfectly for me and my average tier 2 wait is about 2-3 minutes for a scenario. I've never had to queue.

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
WAR works perfectly for me and my average tier 2 wait is about 2-3 minutes for a scenario. I've never had to queue.
Well even now I can't even connect to the server I get the classic, critical error "auth failed". And I hear there's about 10seconds of lag on KEP.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Cloning will just create 2 half empty servers, free transfer would have been a better idea but I don't think they have figured out how to do that yet.

rynnor

Rockhound
I think its a clever idea - will see if it works in practice but still worth a shot.

Its better than the alternatives of forced moves or just leaving it till people get fed-up and play elsewhere.

Free transfers while a nice idea was probably an administrative nightmare and would still not guarantee a happy solution - might just unbalance other servers?

drachena

Fledgling Freddie
Apart from the queues I've had no problems.
AoC was played in seperate instances to try and stop any problems which people moaned about at the time.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
When there are que's for both realms does that mean the server cap has been reached?surely the servers can't be full? half the PQ's are very quiet and there's not even a decent zerg going in rvr:)as far as i can see all cloning is going to do is give us 2 servers that are half full and if more of 1 realm moves than the other the problem is still there.Tonight on Azgal there where 353 queing on destro and 203 on order..why not just up the server cap by 200?? ques shortened and not affecting balance.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
When there are que's for both realms does that mean the server cap has been reached?surely the servers can't be full? half the PQ's are very quiet and there's not even a decent zerg going in rvr:)as far as i can see all cloning is going to do is give us 2 servers that are half full and if more of 1 realm moves than the other the problem is still there.Tonight on Azgal there where 353 queing on destro and 203 on order..why not just up the server cap by 200?? ques shortened and not affecting balance.

Server instability. Do you want more crashes?

Vepo

Fledgling Freddie
All this hassle over mythic’s shoddy programming and GOAs below average networks, the servers can't be that full to warrant 300 player ques and server cloning? For instance if you were to want to play a scenario in high Elf land it takes like 30-40mins unless it’s bang on 9/10pm. I go to PQs in tier 2 and there are barely people there to do it, unless you find a decent nice WB at another and convince them to move.

The bugs in this client are hideous; I’ve crashed and lagged more then any other game. I and everyone else reported all the CTDs back in like early 07 beta on us servers. None of the satiability has been fixed, for a late 08 game it’s shockingly below average in performance and stability and even graphics.

Just look at AoC beta, it had more players on one server and there were no crash’s or lag. So I dread to think what will happen if a load of players leave, I can’t be arsed trying to play in a semi ghost town game. On a daoc player sever with no daoc players.

Oh and "in before the whine thread", I’m the last person to moan about ques, I just spent 40 mins in a que to instant CTD and I’m not too fussed.

Funny to read these kind of posts!

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
Server instability. Do you want more crashes?

Get better servers?? what's the point of playing a mmo if you take away the massive multiplayer??i get about 1 crash every now and then so stability is not an issue for me.

WaveZtream

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah cloning a server is just a cheap way for solving a temporary solution. How will this be a MMO? what is the cap now like 500?.

GOA should really learn from CCP. Follow Eve online 1 server 1 big world. I don't see why it is so hard. I want a MMORPG nothing else.:twak:

rynnor

Rockhound
Get better servers?? what's the point of playing a mmo if you take away the massive multiplayer??i get about 1 crash every now and then so stability is not an issue for me.

Any limit can be reached - this one has been - theres thousands on the server - feels pretty massive to me - as i write this theres an enourmous battle for Mandreds Hold with literally hundreds of players there!

rynnor

Rockhound
GOA should really learn from CCP. Follow Eve online 1 server 1 big world. I don't see why it is so hard. I want a MMORPG nothing else.:twak:

Eve doesnt cope though - big battles are slideshows and people are dead before the zone loads - not exactly desirable :p

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Any limit can be reached - this one has been - theres thousands on the server - feels pretty massive to me - as i write this theres an enourmous battle for Mandreds Hold with literally hundreds of players there!

I personally don't think there are as many people on the server as they would have us believe, most of the time running around most tier2+ are empty, and in scenarios I seem to fight the same people over and over again.

Even if it is thousands, I doubt there is enough overflow to fill a whole new server which I guess is why it failed on the US servers.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i personlly never understand modern mmos, AOC did it where it just says low med high. Why cant we see actual numbers instead.

I do feel that cloning is one step that is much easier and probbly safer than just moving chars around at least with cloning it gives you the facility of another server and currently most of the EN ones are pretty full anyways so its a win win situation. If folks dont move across you cant say you havnt tried to accomodate them. and if noone does move at least you got another server for people to play on.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie

how do you know there's 1000's have you seen numbers official or otherwise ??massive as in there's lots of big open empty spaces??i've not seen 100's batteling anywhere a slight misscount or exageration i think ;)

sloand

Fledgling Freddie
did someone say AoC never crashed and wasn't laggy?......Are you serious?? aoc was almost bin worthy it was so broken.

Back to WAR. i have the odd random crash, not often enough to complain about. I do sometimes find that it feels quiet for 3000 people online.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
I think its a clever idea - will see if it works in practice but still worth a shot.
Um, no, its a stupid idea, because players are sheep.

Peoples reaction to this will be the same here as it was in the US: "oh good, now some other folks can move: I/we are staying right where we are".

Soazak

Part of the furniture

Peoples reaction to this will be the same here as it was in the US: "oh good, now some other folks can move: I/we are staying right where we are".

Mythic have done this before though, Population problems so open more servers (Classic). It's not the greatest idea, a bandaid fix that doesn't solve the problem just shifts it.

On the US servers they already have nearly half their servers low/low or med/low, so opening more rather than transfering to the ones they already have was a bad idea.

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
Not for me i have np with Eve and big battles.

You can't ever moved a blob into a other blob. 20 min loading time, and when you finally arrive you cant see anyone even though they are there.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
All Just look at AoC beta, it had more players on one server and there were no crash’s or lag. So I dread to think what will happen if a load of players leave, I can’t be arsed trying to play in a semi ghost town game. On a daoc player sever with no daoc players.
I wonder what AoC beta and release i was in then. No crashed? Hmmm or no lag, ok. AoC had some serious issues on release like when you went to a zone you crashed, and some chars where stuck there for up to a week before Funcom did anything. Really severe memory leaks. You crashed got back party frame, guild frame gone. etc, etc, etc. AoC is the worse game i've played beta and release. So many problem i've encountered there, and the only game i've got bluescreen from, and not one time or two times, had it around 3-4 times a day until they patched the game and it went away. AoC was released about a year to early, but if they didnt release it Funcom would be no more.

Brilliance

Can't get enough of FH
Seems like a bad idea to me too ;X

From what I understand the server cap is not increased to it's max capacity yet; so why move on with "plan B" which is cloning?

I want to believe there's a reasonable explanation which I'm apparently missing :E

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Fafnir, if you got bluescreens, that it's clearly a more severe problem than just a broken game, e.g. broken drivers, corrupt memory...

Not sure what all the AoC and EVE talk is good for, also I don't get why people complain about empty zones, if you want them full make it happen, tell everbody that free cheeseburgers are handed out and I'm sure everybody will shop up.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Just look at AoC beta, it had more players on one server and there were no crash’s or lag.

did you play AoC?

whole damn game was instanced, so didnt really matter how many people there were on a server, as there could not be more then a certain number of people in a zone, and the damn zones crashed all the time, and the lag was horrible and pretty much everything was just horribly bad about it

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
Brilliance said:
From what I understand the server cap is not increased to it's max capacity yet; so why move on with "plan B" which is cloning?

understand like in, "i have some proves i can show you" or "atleast thats what i think" ?

Draylor said:

people might be sheeps, but there will still be people thats willing to move, maybe not to start with, but it could be that IF they none moves people will get fed up with the queuing and eventually start to move entire quilds over as its not just something you do without talking it over with the people you know ingame.

Veck

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like a bad idea to me too ;X

I want to believe there's a reasonable explanation which I'm apparently missing :E

Someone else already mentioned this on these boards, basically at this point you have loads of people whining on forums that the queues break their gameplay and what not. They demand that Goa take action. Well here it is, the overpopulated servers get cloned so there is a solution for people that have major issues with the queues.
So if you decide to stay on your server you will have to live with the queues and blaming Goa that they don't do anything about it won't be valid anymore.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
karak-hirn feels pretty empty even when the queue is over 500.

it doesnt matter which t2 zone im in i hardly ever see that many people and nearly all the pq's have noone there so i would love to know where everyone is.

they arent in the t3 zones either ive looked and whenever theres any open rvr going on theres only ever 30-40 people if that counting both sides.

compared to say wow the server seems very empty.

on release day and and the headstarts when the cap was aparently lower the server seemed to have much more people on even in the t2 zones.

created a clone of the server isnt going to do anything imo if the real one feels empty the clone will just feel like your playing a single player game.

btw the us cloning didnt work noone uses them

dee777

Loyal Freddie
Not for me i have np with Eve and big battles.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of battle do you consider big? The standard 0.0 blob I usually meet consists out of ~80 ships per side in the north and east. That alone brings my game to its knees aka slideshow experience. If the defending party initiates the drone/fighter spam "tactic" the desyncs start even if you have a SS in grid to jump to before entering the battle.

I really thought it was the same for everybody and that that was the reason the new militia thing has so much success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom