Mythics answer to overpopulated servers - cloning!

Discussion in 'Warhammer' started by GReaper, Sep 18, 2008.

1. GReaper

GReaper Resident Freddy

From the WAR Herald:

This might be what's in store for our overpopulated Euro servers?

I'm assuming this is just a quick temporary solution whilst the characters on the servers aren't too high level. Maybe Mythic doesn't actually have a character transfer system sorted yet and they're doing this to try and solve the problem.

Hopefully this might sort out some of the population issues if GOA decides to take the same action for our overpopulated servers.

2. Draylor

Draylor Part of the furniture

Interesting idea, if it works.

I wouldnt hope for much, chances are one of each pair will be left like a ghost town.

3. pez

pez Can't get enough of FH

I guess they will monitor how many people want to switch so not too many leave, will be interesting to see if it works.

4. Ezeine

Ezeine Loyal Freddie

Maybe I'm just thickheaded but why would I want to have same char on another server (which I have to level aswell since nothing post-copy gets transferred)?

Edit: Mr. GR which server do you play btw? :)

5. Billargh

Billargh FH is my second home

Wonder how long before the Daoc crowd pops up screaming about how they didn't get this cloning treatment.

6. eksdee

eksdee FH is my second home

interesting, could work!

7. Sparda

Sparda Fledgling Freddie

This just copys the server files and puts them on another server. It doesnt mix 2 servers files together. So the DAoC server would be even more thinly spread out if they used this method.

8. Narzeja

Narzeja Loyal Freddie

The character is copied. Level/name/inventory/everything. Consider it a chance to get rid of all the queues without levelling to your current level again.

9. GReaper

GReaper Resident Freddy

Updated the sig just for you!

10. Ezeine

Ezeine Loyal Freddie

Eight Peaks, woot!

11. Ezeine

Ezeine Loyal Freddie

Yeah I was being thickheaded. I see this a good thing for guilds and friends that were forced to compromise due to the queues.

12. Cadelin

Cadelin Part of the furniture

Its a good idea. It will effectively half the population on the servers with the biggest problems with over crowding and it won't force anybody to re-level or split up if they don't want to.

I am sure they have a character transfer and server merge plan already in place for a bit later. Server cloning is something they can only do when opening a brand new server. In this case the other option is simply opening an empty server.

13. skunksmoka

skunksmoka Fledgling Freddie

am i being think , but if half the desrtuction move to the other server there will be no order or a severe lack of becuase why would the order change to the newer server

14. scorge

scorge Fledgling Freddie

Just because mythic are doing it does not mean goa will....

15. Wholdar

Wholdar One of Freddy's beloved

I think we wont have any problems with players on ANY server for a while, the game was just released.

/j

16. Soazak

Soazak Part of the furniture

17. Elendar

Elendar One of Freddy's beloved

I pray they don't do this to us. people just need to be less shortsighted and stop whining. The queues will die down soon, better to put up with it now and have a great server later than cry now and have 2 small pop servers later

18. longbow

longbow Fledgling Freddie

TBH I thnk that one of the biggest problems is the ratio of Chaos to Order. The Chaos characters are way more popular than the Order characters.
    I watched a group of Chaos folk running around yesterday conquering just about every Order outpost on the tier. There just wasnt enough of us playing Order to make even a half hearted attempt to stop them. While it may have been fun capturing everything it must have been a bit dull having no players responding to their attacks.
    So come on folk lets even the odds Let the Order ranks grow.

19. Poe

Poe Fledgling Freddie

Do you think they have set the server limits low to get people spread across all servers? When things settle down I expect that these limits will rise. We have some bad queues on our server however there doesnt seem to be loads of people running around?