Album of the year....so far?

M

maxi--

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Well it's not like I don't know all about the Byrds and Beach Boys. I'll look into The Shins then if they're so good :)

yeah, well they shit on The Thrills.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by maxi--
yeah, well they shit on The Thrills.
I'll just have to take your word for it, downloaded New Slang and thought it was dull :mad: possibly just not for me. Maybe their other stuff is better but I'm not sure they shit on The Thrills.

I'll try a few others to see if they're better.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by old.Kez
No they're not, they're dire. Dire like bees.

Well, musically, lyrically, in every way possible, they're less talented than the Shins...and oh yes i agree, they're bad, but whenever i express my distaste for a band, i get a shit load of abuse for it, gotta lay low for a while!!

W

Weeping Willow

I would say a swedish album named Söndermarken by a artist named Lars Winnerbäck.

But since not many are swedish speaking here I guess I have to say Muse Absolution :)

J

Jonaldo

Well, musically, lyrically, in every way possible, they're less talented than the Shins...and oh yes i agree, they're bad, but whenever i express my distaste for a band, i get a shit load of abuse for it, gotta lay low for a while!!
Well the Shins songs you told me to download were crap (in my opinion) :rolleyes: hope you gave me the worst possible examples so I would be pleasantly suprised should I wish to persevere with them (which I didn't).

O

old.Kez

[...] whenever i express my distaste for a band, i get a shit load of abuse for it, gotta lay low for a while!!
OH GNOS!!!!!!!!1111111111(oneonetwo)

Originally posted by whoever it was, k!
Well the Shins songs you told me to download were crap (in my opinion)
Cuh. Lamer.

(Caring is creepy is better :x)

M

maxi--

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Well the Shins songs you told me to download were crap (in my opinion) :rolleyes: hope you gave me the worst possible examples so I would be pleasantly suprised should I wish to persevere with them (which I didn't).

I think you're lying.

L

leggy

Can I just say that the new perfect circle album is really kind of boring and crap in all honesty.

I tried to like it but my ears kept bleeding.

C

~Clarky~

i change my vote to 'You come before You' by Poison the Well

:x

M

Meatballs

Nobody for Hail to the Thief? Personally I think its great.

I also like very much previously mentioned albums:

KOL - Youth and young manhood
APC - Thirteenth step
Darkness - Permission to land
Belle and Sebastion - Dear Catastrophe Waitress (altho not really had a chance to listen to it too much)
Muse - Absolution

The REM greatest hits album is very good too, dont know if it counts as the right type of album tho :)

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by Meatballs

Belle and Sebastion - Dear Catastrophe Waitress (altho not really had a chance to listen to it too much)

Is belle on that record?

M

Meatballs

dunno, if you mean the track dear catastrophe waitress, i think its just the bloke singing, pretty sure she's on the rest of the album though. Maxi would know. :)

Another album people have missed, is Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Take them on your own. tis Really good.

D

doh_boy

Aye I've heard she's left see. Wasn't sure if it was before or after the album. As for BRMC only heard one song which sucked so didn't bother after that.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by doh_boy
Is belle on that record?

Isobel Cambell left before the release of their 5th Studio album (Storytelling) so she isn't on this newie. Nope.

She has a new album out called 'Amorino' though, I've avoided it so far, because it has to be said that I've hated most of her solo stuff (Gentle Waves etc). Mind you, i bought the Belle & Sebastian DVD last week, and i was reminded of how utterly gorgeous and sweet the lady is. She is not matched in that respect.

The currenlt B&S lady singer is Sarah Martin, she's a big girl, with a nice voice for harmonies and stuff, but she just doesn't cut it when singing on her own, i don't think.

As for the album, It is rather 70's soft rock isn't it? I'm suprised so many people like it, I'm even more suprised that I like it.

'I'm a Cuckoo' is fucking fantastic, and so is 'If She wants me', level with the best work they have done, most of the others are very good too, 'Wrapped Up in Books' and 'If You Find yourself caught in Love'

'Asleep on a Sunbeam' is the most dissapointing, not because it's the worst on the album (hello Roy Walker) but because the Peel Session version of the song flaws me everytime i listen to it. The production(of that song in particular) doesn't work, it was much much better as a lo fi, untouched affair.

if you're looking for more old style B&S stuff, or at least, wanting to hear something like that, you MUST get the new Camera Obscura album called 'Underachivers Please Try Harder' it's a super album, lyrically comparable to the sweeter, more childlike songs of B&S (like everything Isobel wrote) but musically a lot like Sixties girl group pop. it's lovely.

Shame on me for mentioning them after B&S, because as a band they are worthy of so much credit, thye aren't the B&S copyists people make them out to be.

S

Swift^

King Diamond - The Puppet Master just arrived in the post today... damn postmen striking.

Well worth waiting 2 weeks after release to get the special digipak/dvd edition... this is definitely the best album of the year so far that I've heard...

Not that any of you have a clue who I refer to. :D

S

Sar

Metal innit?

Old 80's metal guy IIRC.....mayhaps.

S

Shocko

Scandanavian Leather by Turbonegro was pretty decent. I wouldn't say the best album of the year, but better than some of the shit that's been suggested.

S

Swift^

Machine Head - Through The Ashes of Empires is really great too. Picked it up at the weekend, and was pleasently surprised to hear a return to form and an older sounding style - much more reminiscent of Burn My Eyes than their last couple of albums... a very good thing.

C

CptDoom

Originally posted by echo
Seen them live? It's the fucking don :D Going to see them again at the end of the month, houpla!

Yep northampton Roadmender... They do get INTO their music dont they :p

Really only me and echo that love this album? If you havent heard it and like a pretty intense jangly rock music, go get it.

M

maxi--

I have the album, It's grown on me since i bought it, and of all the NME lovvies, they're probably one of the best.

It's good, not the best this year though, by a long shot.

C

CptDoom

Its the best I heard all year... Apart from Chain Gangs Of Love - The Raveonettes and also a grower () - Sigor Ros.

Mind you i havent listened to much new music this year, its all a bit stale, too many 'The ______' bands about.

and of all the NME lovvies, they're probably one of the best.

Cant remeber the last time i bought NME or actually read any music magazine/website

W

What The

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comotorium by about a mile.

A

alexsermon

i quite like the black eyed peas song, it's quite catchy.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by CptDoom
Its the best I heard all year... Apart from Chain Gangs Of Love - The Raveonettes and also a grower () - Sigor Ros.

Mind you i havent listened to much new music this year, its all a bit stale, too many 'The ______' bands about.

Cant remeber the last time i bought NME or actually read any music magazine/website

That's odd. It's being an amazinh year for music., and the only place you ge 'The ___' bands shoved in your face are in Magazines such as NME or Q. Outside of that, it really has been a good year...great albums from:

Saturday Looks Good To Me
The Hidden Cameras
The Unicorns
m83
The Shins
Belle & Sebastian
Camera Obscura
British Sea Power
Broken Social Scene
The Strokes
Maher Shalal Hash Baz
Cat Power
Radiohead
Devendra banhart
Yo La Tengo
My Morning Jacket
The Postal Service
Giddy Motors

and probablya few records I havent't heard this year, are supposed to be as good as any in that list inc

Manitoba
Four Tet
Iron & Wine
Mew
Super Furry Animals
Hot Snakes
Transistor Transistor

and loads more that i've forgotten.

indiependant music is far from stale, you;re just not looking hard enough.

E

echo

I agree with Maxwell here - and GET THE FOUR TET ALBUM.

C

CptDoom

Wehn i said i havent heard much music i meant decent, im having to go back in time for exciting music, i have those bands mentioned before rammed down my throat by my university friends in london. Not saying its all bad, just nothing spectacular.

The Make Up however are :).

Im quite clearly not up to date with whats new and good, but nothing strikes me as amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom