Album of the year....so far?

T

throdgrain

Christ CDR how true is that. People are so over the top sometimes.
As you some of you may know. I work in a motorbike shop. I have people come in and look at a bike, then look at the one next to it and say "what wanker would buy that ?" Im like, its a bike, get over it. I like vindaloo, it doesnt mean they do , or that Im wrong and they're right or anything. Its just personal taste.
Music is one of the worst things for this. Particularly when you're young. When I was a teenager for example, I thought people who liked say, The Lambrettas were the scum of the earth, and would be more than happy to fight such people . They equally thought my choice of likeing Motorhead was just as shit.
At the end of the day, looking back, who gives a fuck ?
You like something, I like something else. It really doesnt matter :)

M

maxi--

Originally posted by Cdr
What is good, is a thread about what YOU consider to be the best album of the year (which is of course always down to personal opinion) has turned into a slagging match.

If someone likes an album, and you dont, whats the point in telling them that it's shit? Just because I dont like sprouts, I dont stand up in the middle of a restaurant and shout at the person sat next to me who happens to be eating them. But then, I suppose you can hide behind your PC and not have to suffer any repercussions.

Another thread spoilt by trolling.

If you'd actually READ what I said, then you might see that I wasn't trolling at all, the discussion was on the wrong thread maybe. That is all.

You really can't of read whats been said the last two pages.

Ths kind of reply is typical too. It just seems as though you missed the point entirely, gotten offended because you can't see the point, added your tuppence..and it's your tuppence that's dragged the thread down.

J

Jonaldo

Maxi--, I think perhaps you hold yourself in much too high esteem, perhaps we have all READ what you said, and perhaps we do all UNDERSTAND what you have said. Yet just about every single person here DISAGREES with what you say.

CDR hit the nail on the head, and I did try to explain it to you earlier which you clearly didn't read or understand. You may have different tastes in music, you may not like what others do, and this may be a discussion forum. However, coming out and always saying "xxx is complete shit, how the fuck can you listen to that? if I ever met them I would kill them" isn't discussion, at all, in any way whatsoever, as there is no possible reply. In order to spark a discussion you have to acknowledge other peoples opinions and tastes, open your mind and be willing to accept that maybe the act you think are utter shit maybe aren't in fact utter shit, maybe.. they just aren't to your taste. You may take this personally, but as I don't know you I can't comment on you personally, but the way you put your views across on this forum is just plain annoying, verging on insulting sometimes.

If I said I was a fan of 'Bob Smith and the Pencils" and you come out and say "Bob Smith and the Pencils are shit, they should die!", I don't see an intelligent discussion stemming from this, you see?

Please don't tell me to go back and read your posts again, I have and can't see anything of note that I already don't know. Don't say I don't understand your posts as I really do, quite well and with no difficulty whatsoever. What I would ask of you is that you maybe don't put yourself on such a perch where you're opinion is clearly the only correct one, your taste of music is clearly the cutting edge, defining what we should all listen to and that our opinions and our taste of music isn't quite up to your level if they vary from yours.

I myself am a very opinionated person, although I enjoy discussions and anyone who can offer me new perspectives on any topic I always repect and enjoy listening to what they have to say. Unfortunately in this forum I can't say the same about you unless you lighten up and become a bit more easy going listening to others. I'm not sure how to explain it in more words. I'm sure it's not you that I don't like, just your agressive manner on this forum whenever you don't like someones taste in music or your snap assumption that we don't understand what you are saying when all we are doing is simply disagreeing with your statements that you have clearly set in stone and are unwilling to budge.

Hopefully we can all get along after this post, I hope it's not too patronising, I read through and realise it is a little but I wanted to get my point across as clear as possible, and as it's all pretty serious and I mean it all there wasn't even any need for smileys or bad language ;) (fuck!)

M

maxi--

Sorry, you have entirely missed the point, whilst patronising me, we're back at square 1.

If you look at what you said two pages ago, read my reply to that, it applies here.

Let's end it now eh? I've nothing to say that hasn't already been said, and neither have you, clearly.

I could break your reply down, and show the patronising, sanctimonius. hypocritical and contractictory way in which you have expressed your opinions, but frankly im pretty fucking bored of explaining myself.

Simply put, this isnt about someone being better than someone else, thats your misguided judgement.

S

Sar

Jonaldo and CDR are completely right.

You're a trolling little miscreant, who is incapable of holding an adult discussion about subjective...well subjects.

You listen to The Velvet Underground. So what? You don't hear anyone else here spout off with pearls of wisdom like:

Oh good god, you are kidding me?

or

Christ, I don't even consider what X does as music, let alone good.

jeez louise, this disturbs me.

See?

When you're actually capable of realising that people other than yourself are entitled to their own taste in music, without being denigrated by someone as full of themselves as you patently are, then please feel free to post your opinions.

Until that momentous day arrives, then don't bother.

S

Sar

Originally posted by maxi--

I could break your reply down, and show the patronising, sanctimonius. hypocritical and contractictory way in which you have expressed your opinions, but frankly im pretty fucking bored of explaining myself.

How ironic you of all people should post that.

M

maxi--

Ok, this is clearly not going to work, until you stop treating me like a troll.
Yes i can understand why you do so.

anyone like The Housemartins?

L

leggy

I would like to shoot the housemartins. I hear the drummer is in jail for GBH. nice.

I really don't see why you all find maxi-- so offensive. Although it is quite comical to see you all react with such vile hatred.

I'll personally listen to everyone's opinions on music even if they do hold their music taste in an over elevated regard. There are some bands talked about in these here threads that I now listen to alot. (Xtro and maxi-- to name a couple). AN example being killing joke.

In the end how about you all listen to what each of us has to say, sample their music and stfu. If you don't like it then say so. If you do like it then thank them.

I'm off to repair the roof on my ginger bread house now and speak to the care bears about their party i'm attending tonight.

C

Cdr

If you'd actually READ what I said, then you might see that I wasn't trolling at all, the discussion was on the wrong thread maybe. That is all.

You really can't of read whats been said the last two pages.

Ths kind of reply is typical too. It just seems as though you missed the point entirely, gotten offended because you can't see the point, added your tuppence..and it's your tuppence that's dragged the thread down.

Ummm I suggest you READ my post. I never once mentioned your name, nor did I mention who was trolling.

If you have some sort of guilty conscience - that isn't my problem.

J

Jonaldo

*points at thread title*

Have we figured out the album of the year yet?

M

maxi--

Broken Social Scene, Hidden Cameras, The Unicorns and M83

J

jehu

You people need to learn the Internet definition of troll properly before you throw that description around. maxi is no troll, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of you are just a bunch of tasteless, clueless fucking morons.

That said, here's my votes for this year (and no bullshit like "well I only just discovered blah blah this year", that makes it too easy):

Transistor Transisor: Self Titled
Trans Am: Liberation
Rachel's: Systems / Layers
31knots: It Was High Time to Escape
Mogwai: Happy Songs for Happy People
Lungfish: Love is Love
Three Second Kiss: Music Out of Music
I Pinata: Submit Mollusc

Some amazing releases this year. And don't get me wrong on the maxi thing - while he mentioned some amazing bands (Hot Snakes, Giddy Motors - none of whom released any albums this year), he listens to some fucking lame shit too - Belle and Sebastian being one such example.

E

Embattle

Although maxi-- seems to of found a friend!!

Any way....I can't actually say that I bought any truely new albums this year or at least none worth remembering, mainly back catalogue, and out of those it would have to be Peter Gabriel 1.

T

throdgrain

I bought a new album last week. Well I didnt have it, therefore it was new to me.
It was Dark Side of the Moon though :(

C

Cdr

Can we count greatest hits?

Because I like REM's Greatest Hits :D

E

Embattle

My old man got that, although I.. erm..have it too and it is very good.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by jehu

Some amazing releases this year. And don't get me wrong on the maxi thing - while he mentioned some amazing bands (Hot Snakes, Giddy Motors - none of whom released any albums this year), he listens to some fucking lame shit too - Belle and Sebastian being one such example.

Screw you, Mogwai noodle rock loving yankee ponce!

and, yeah, according to Pitchfork, and other sites, Giddy Motors was this year, so was Hot Snakes...I remember you showing me the review!

Also, i gotta say, the lastest B&S album is boring me now, i think im going off them.

;)

R

Rekin

Originally posted by Sar
You're only agreeing with him cos you're the star of the idiotic quote in my sig.

Gr8 m8.

:great:

No. Daniel Bedingfield really is shit.

J

jehu

and, yeah, according to Pitchfork, and other sites, Giddy Motors was this year, so was Hot Snakes...I remember you showing me the review!
(63%) Hot Snakes: Suicide Invoice
[Swami; 2002] Rating: 8.8 - Review by: Eric Carr

(63%) Giddy Motors: Make It Pop
[Fat Cat; 2002] Rating: 8.3 - Review by: Eric Carr

But yeah, Bitchfork can be kinda slow and the latter wasn't reviewed until 2003.

R

Rekin

Album of the year is one of

Muse - Absolution
The Thrills - So Much for the City
The White Stripes - Elephant

My vote is for Muse in all honesty, mainly cos the Thrills album lost most of its brilliance when summer finished.

Oh and single of the year is Graffitti - What is the Problem.

M

~Mobius~

Lord of the Rings, Return of the King - Official Soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread