2H Paladins

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tepes

I search on web and I found a lot of things pro and contra.

Here is a post wich I am totaly agree, I cant write it better ...

"Greetings!

I salute my fellow Pally below from Igraine. I, am also a Paladin, lvl 50, from Igraine.

I agree with most of what he says below except for the fact that he should point out that he is a “Defensive” Paladin. Defensive Pallys are great, my first Pally was a defensive one, but I only went 30 (Rez) in chants so I could have the points necessary to max Slash (ammy/ Diamond slash combo at 50 is arguably the best all around style in the game), get 42 Shield for the awesome Slam, stun and get a reasonable amount of Parry at 25. This worked pretty well for general leveling and PvE. Sword and Board Pallies are good for this, solo or group support. With the arrival of the Endurance chant, we were the most popular melee class.

Once at 50 things change. You are not 50 long before you realize something is missing. Up until this point you win most mob battles like you win most duels; attrition. You do, comparatively, pretty lame melee damage compared to other classes, while wearing the enemy down with your superior defense and almost inexhaustible endurance. This takes time. Time is exactly what you haven’t got in RvR.

If you go into RvR at 50 thinkin you are going to go toe to toe with other tanks and slug it out – your mistaken. While this might happen, rarely, most battles are over before you can twist 2 or 3 times. Contrary to most lower level belief we do not target opposing Tanks, we target opposing Casters. Any chance your group has of winning is based upon how fast you can kill the Casters. It is quite common to run right past and through opposing tanks in our mutual effort to get to and neutralize the Casters.

Talking to higher level pallies for a moment; we know that RvR battles make a defensive setup almost useless. Unless you personally like being an S&S Pally, then go right ahead and make yourself happy, but the golden rule of RvR is damage! As fast as possible. It is over almost before it begins, how much damage can you do and quickly? Our Chant? Yes they are useful, but not as useful in RvR where lvl 50’s shower each other with far superior buffs way above our chant capability. Our Battle damage add is useful, but way less then a Wizzys damage buff, our Shield chant is useful but much less then a clerics, etc. Refreshment? No time. The finest of all RA abilities available to Pallies may be FH. Certainly everyone respects that, an instant group heal. Get it as fast as possible at 50.

So what do we do? We don’t need to level, and except for looting for badly needed cash and quests, we don’t care about leveling experiences within the Realm. Well first of all I looked around. Most pallies coming to 50 are Sword and Board it’s true. As I have said before and written elsewhere, have you ever noticed that every NPC Pally in the game is 2H? 2H is also available to Armsmen, but why would they when they have Polearm, the most damaging melee force in our Realm? No I think 2H is specifically for Paladins, the same 2H that all out trainers are sporting. While you could certainly argue for S&S for leveling in Realm, once your done with leveling and given the requirements of RvR – go 2H.

Look at the sense it makes; as a S&S Pally you are starved for points between all your abilities. As a 2H pally you can finally (if like me and many others you didn’t) raise your Chants to 46 (me) or even 48 should you choose so and still have enough left to be very effective. Everyone knows that with items and equipment you can easily raise almost any attribute beyond 50. Especially in these days of SC. You only train in the actual ability to get its styles, not its benefits which are obtained by being that lvl. (fighting stlyes, shield, parry etc.)
Remember, your lvl in base damage style (slash, Crush, Thrust) sets your minimum damage. Your lvl in your specialty style (2H, Pole, LB, Crit etc.) sets your % of chance to do maximum damage.

Damage? Ha! 2H does approx. 3 times the damage of 1H Pally. There are regular reports of 2H Pallys who, if their Style damage coupled with their weapon procc and crit damage all hit together get 500 damage with one stroke!

Don’t change yet, try this little experiment; We all have spare spec points when reaching 50. Use a couple only to get the first base 2H style (Half Moon at lvl 2). The run up to the Pennines , S of Berks and kill Ash, for Ash’s one time drop. This gives you a great 2H weapon to experiment with (you’ll keep it). Next go hit some Ylws, then some Blues, keep a small record of the damage using your normal weapon. Ok, so set up another Q bar for the 2H, weapon damage procc and chants etc (more room on bar too, 1 will do). Then hit those same mobs again? If, like many of us, you have obtained a range of 2H weapons in your travels from Dsoldiers, AC etc. you can have some fun comparing. I used the brigands in Dartmoor for this, nice easy camp for chain pulls.

Tell you what you’ll find out, without the use of some super SC weapon, you’ll find you do as much damage AND sometimes more with 2H are you are doing with your massively trained 1H. This is the most basic 2H style and its damage is CAPPED by Mythic as a starter style! Mythic has constantly stated that you only need ¾ training in an ability to get full use from it giving you even more spec points to use. My ideal 2H spec? 39Slash (52 with items) 39 2H (Doubler last very useful style, 50 with items) 46 Chants and 25 Parry (34 with items). Although a fiend of mine prefers 44Slash, 442H. Make the choice you prefer.

There’s a lot more, Pallys can be as complicated as you wish to make them and definatley the most complicated melee class along with Infils, but I’ve bored ya enough.

Then beyond FH, forget blocking and other slow defenses – get MOA, Master of Arms ya! Swing that geart high damage weapon like it’s a dagger and wipe your enemies. Beyond saving 3.5 plat for your Armor, 1plt for your weapon – your ready to go! Assist your group and be a real force for Albion.

GL all, I wish you well.

Graywandir, lvl 50
The Lion-Hearted
Albion, Igraine "

About that MOA, it is still bugged?

V

villageidiot

moarms gets fixed 1.64, that or 1.63 i read it in one of the patch notes anyway

P

parlain

Originally posted by tepes

There are regular reports of 2H Pallys who, if their Style damage coupled with their weapon procc and crit damage all hit together get 500 damage with one stroke!

Galaha regularily gets over 1000 damage if he crits as a 2 handed arms

Next argument?

A

AbPoon

Look 2h pallys are fucking crap ok, everyone thinks so even the people who say "spec what you like"

F

- Fedaykin -

Originally posted by AbPoon
Look 2h pallys are fucking crap ok, everyone thinks so even the people who say "spec what you like"

rofl

C

Cawr

Just let narrow minded saps like Poon think what they want and let this topic alone.

A

alithiel50

Originally posted by AbPoon
What Poon said...

Originally posted by Cawr
Just let narrow minded saps like Poon think what they want and let this topic alone.
But he's right... I know, I play a Paladin! :rolleyes:

K

Karnage

How you spec all depends on your RvR role.

If going offensive 2H paladins are great. Higher damage than 1H and able to give end chant to the people they are assisting.

1H is capable of offensive and defensive, but aren't very effective in offense other than getting slam in so the other tanks that actually do some damage can hit it more easily.

P

[PS]Venom

Good god let it die, narrow set-minded idiots won't see the point no matter how many times you try and tell them, no matter what you back it up with, or how you try and explain things.

A

alithiel50

Originally posted by [PS]Venom
Good god let it die, narrow set-minded idiots won't see the point no matter how many times you try and tell them, no matter what you back it up with, or how you try and explain things.
Yes, there will always be people who think that 2h Paladins are in some way useful... :uhoh:

E

Ekydus

2H is also available to Armsmen, but why would they when they have Polearm, the most damaging melee force in our Realm? No I think 2H is specifically for Paladins...

And in the same area of knowledge, where does S/S fit in? If Armsmen fit the Polearm area; the most damaging melee force, then surely S/S is meant for Paladins. :rolleyes:

C

crokro

Just the title takes me wont to rofl (2H pala)

Hehe

O

Oven

I just saw that when making a fighter, the description of the paladin is something like "Paladins dedicate their life to the churc of Albion, and receive combat-enhancing prayers to complement their plate armor and two-handed abilities" so didn't Mythic make them to use two-handed? To prove that further alot of NPC paladins use two-handed.

I

Ialkarn

As I have said before and written elsewhere, have you ever noticed that every NPC Pally in the game is 2H?

Graywandir, lvl 50
The Lion-Hearted
Albion, Igraine "

Yes and Goth's merc trainer it's avallonian,I guess it's the tank race of the future!

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by alithiel50
Yes, there will always be people who think that 2h Paladins are in some way useful... :uhoh:

Yes, and there will always be people who can't do anything other than narrow mindedly stick to the "normal" and can't see past that. :uhoh:

Ah forget it. It's like trying to preach to sheep, and I'm not welsh.

G

gwal

u can do whatever u want in this game, but dont expect others to listen when u try to tell them something should be done, something like a 2H paladin.

if some1 wants to make 1, by all means, do it, just dont expect others to understand why - u know urself that u dont make it cause its good, but cause it might be fun, others will think that something else is fun, and ant follow the fun u urself have in mind. ppl are different, so thats how it works.

what I dont understand tho is:
it´s said that the fights are about dmg output, so hence, pally should be 2H.
who´s gonna take care of ur support then? an armsman? doesnt make sense to me dude.

and how is paladins starved for spec points?? u get loads of em, starved is when u spec 2H, as u need to spec both 2H and slash or whatever, and still uphold chant + some parry for defence, hence, u are basically speccing 2H instead of shield + u gotta spec parry as u got no shield.
and how so, finally RAISE chant to 46?? if u cant go 46 chant as s/s, ur speccing seriously wrong.

all in all, to me it sounds like u´ve been trying and seeing the wrong s/s spec, and care nothing about ur support, sorry to say it, and sorry if I´m wrong.

is nice to see that some ppl like 2H paladins tho, adds to the fun :)

O

old.krane

US players = retards

2h paladins = utter huge gimps

period

Y

Yuanyuan

it's sounds like a FART :puke:

GO 2 hand pallys! kick the mids hibs! GO!

O

Ocond

Im sorry to say Tepes, but Paladins are NOT dmg dealers. No matter what spec you go for. Paladins HOLD aggro, we are defensive. Intentionally the 2h spec was designed to be an offensive route if a paladin wanted to do dmg, but...in Mythics eyes, with paladin’s chants and such, it was seen as being overpowered, and so was nerfed.

S/S is the way forward if you want to live for more that 10seconds soon as zerg meets zerg in RVR. Paladins HOLD aggro/offence while the real dmg dealers (merc/armsmen etc) can deal it and avoid head on conflict.

Indeed, it would be nice if 2h paladins were better, as its a fun spec, granted, but in its current/static state, its not going to be as useful or productive.

O

Ocond

Originally posted by ASq.Karnage
1H is capable of offensive and defensive, but aren't very effective in offense other than getting slam in so the other tanks that actually do some damage can hit it more easily.

Umm, engage?

O

old.krane

Originally posted by [PS]Venom

what points did u make so far exactly?
proof?
what did u back it up with?
to me it seems all u can do here is whine and offend ppl...

i dont c any proof of the ubah 2h pally..

K

K0nah

how about 44 2h, 39slash, 32chant, 29shield, 24parry ? :m00:

play what u enjoy i say.

but personally i would rather have a defence spec pally in my group because thats teh role i employ him for. other tanks, namely merc, arms and reaver do the whole dmg thing better than pallies, simple as that.

F

Flimgoblin

telling other people their spec is gimpy (in particular 2h paladins)

is the new "waah I got greyganked" or "ffs necro XYZ stole my camp spot"

A

AbPoon

Originally posted by K0nah
how about 44 2h, 39slash, 32chant, 29shield, 24parry ? :m00:

play what u enjoy i say.

but personally i would rather have a defence spec pally in my group because thats teh role i employ him for. other tanks, namely merc, arms and reaver do the whole dmg thing better than pallies, simple as that.

stfu K0nah you know thats stupidly gimped ;)

M

Moody

Ha look at you people. Some of you valiantly defending 1H pallies now didn't even want them in your groups not so long ago because they were "gimped armsmen". And any pally speccing chants higher than 36 or 38 was considered a gimp. Meanwhile some of us were happily grouping them and enjoying uber AF and aggrocontrol and loving them long before the oh so famous end chant.

Then suddenly some bright fella read a few american boards and people who yesterday were laughing at pallies were the biggest supporters of em and a friend of mine, who played a pally got tweegwoup invites when we were deep in feckin Dartmoor or Barfog and abused for not suiciding to join their leet groups who once ignored his LFG calls.

And people do it with any class. Reavers? "Don't gimp yourself by speccing soulrending higher than 38". Ice wizards? "Hello gimp", untill another bright light found the use of pbaoe and now fire is gimped :rolleyes:

Stop living in the boring world please. Only one viable spec per class and only 4 or 5 classes leet enough to play RvR. And you wonder where all the bah I'm bored posts come from? This goes for all realms btw.

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Cawr

Er, yeah! Except he's right on and it's not narrow-minded to be right.
2Hand pally = shite.
2Hand arms = good.

A non-shield pally just means that a good RvR group has to have one more defensive tank. Can be a shield arms ofc but you've replaced excellent defence + a real offensive tank with almost-as-good-defence + a crappy-ass parody of an offensive tank with as much weaponskill as my god-damn minstrel and a nice, slow weapon with which to whiff. Give me a break.

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
telling other people their spec is gimpy (in particular 2h paladins)

is the new "waah I got greyganked" or "ffs necro XYZ stole my camp spot"

Right is right, much as wrong is wrong.
You want to play for fun and not give a damn if your spec is inferior for grouping? Fine, do so, have fun, good on you. You want to sit around forums proclaiming that your crap spec is not merely fun but also actually good within the context of DAoC's endgame then I'm afraid you can bog off.

edit: when I say you, i don't mean you personally. Nowt wrong wi' some shield instead of some parry on a merc. ;p

L

lac_desariel

Didnt Read all the posts, But i did read RvR is about Damage fast.... Thats why i belive S+S pallys are what we need more...
Ok before the critics come in yes 2hand > 1 hand for damage, BUT example i know to be true...

Lac the ice wizard has agro from enemy tanks... im going to die soon or the cleric will run oop fast and i cant cast, then Gregorian swaps guard /face the bad guys an block like something i never seen i think record was something like 12 times against multiple tanks.. and while hes blocking im not getting disrupted so i can PBAE and my PBAE > pally 2hand and none died

Thats just one example take from it what you will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread