Paladins

B

ballad

After a bit pondering I decided to make a paladin, the most played class in albion. As I always wanted to be a group friendly class, swing a big sword and stand out in a crowd at the same time I picked 2-handed for my spec.

The problems started when I informed my guild about this. I got told that 2-handed pally is a gimp, uneffective, weak and unwelcome in rvr groups.

I was still not convinced so I asked my friends about this. I got mostly same answers as from my guild: every self-respecting pally goes sword 'n board, 2-hand doesn't have it's place in rvr etc etc...

Personally I don't see the point in this. I can't guard with a 2-hander I know but I can still chant as well as S/S paladins, protect the healers and provide some good damage to a group. Should I keep my uniqueness or join the legion of FotM? Please share your options with me.

K

kirennia

first off play how you want to play. But be warned, you probably wouldnt get too many groups specced 2 hand.

One thing I would like to point out though is that the main part of defending the healers is to slam the enemy off of them. Well you can't do that with 2hander. And you wont do much damage either compared to a armsman,reaver,merc, friar,wet kipper, etc etc

R

rayzor_e_w

s+s pally >> 2-h pally imo.

that said, its your character, you pay the subs etc. so play how you want. :)

A

Aussie-

duel 10 s/s palies and make your conclusion

Y

ye-roon

well i the paladin TL said in a config report that he suggested removing the need to spec secondary style to up dmg whist speccing 2h (prolly pole 2) and he said that the reaction he got was quite positif :):):)

B

Bejeezus

Sadly, your guild aren't messing you about. The way things stand currently, a 2h Paladin is pretty gimped. Look at your class spec points per level and despair as you feel the need to double spec crashing down on your shoulders......

If you aren't the only pally in a group (note: I say pally because it's the only tank class likely to be shield specced) then it's not quite so bad. If you are, prepare to die fast. Which is bad, because you're not supposed to be doing damage, but surviving and providing the rest of the group with chants. Sad.... but true.

A

-ag-bometal

Spec what you want m8

2H paladins are great fun tbh

Being flamed for being one for more as 2 years yet, so be warned :p

E

ExTheRex

Legion of fotm?

didn´t know s/s pally is a fotm

anyways, can´t say that 2h is bad cause i don´t think mythic made it to be directly bad....but i can say that s/s is better.

B

ballad

first off play how you want to play. But be warned, you probably wouldnt get too many groups specced 2 hand
s+s pally >> 2-h pally imo.
duel 10 s/s palies and make your conclusion
Sadly, your guild aren't messing you about. The way things stand currently, a 2h Paladin is pretty gimped. Look at your class spec points per level and despair as you feel the need to double spec crashing down on your shoulders......
Ok I got the point :( Shield > 2-handed, sad but true. Still all the three 2-handed users I've met were really happy with their specs but were getting flamed for them constantly too. In PvE a 2-h paladin overperforms many other classes though: you can tank 'n slaughter those stupid mobs with very little or no downtime due to your chants and still ok defense. After reading your posts though I decided against the 2-h spec. I want to help my guild/group in RvR and clearly I can't do it without a board. By the way I want to thank you for your attitude Bometal if everyone was like that I'd be a 2-h paladin now and would never started this thread.

A

-ag-bometal

Originally posted by ballad
Ok I got the point :( Shield > 2-handed, sad but true. Still all the three 2-handed users I've met were really happy with their specs but were getting flamed for them constantly too. In PvE a 2-h paladin overperforms many other classes though: you can tank 'n slaughter those stupid mobs with very little or no downtime due to your chants and still ok defense. After reading your posts though I decided against the 2-h spec. I want to help my guild/group in RvR and clearly I can't do it without a board. By the way I want to thank you for your attitude Bometal if everyone was like that I'd be a 2-h paladin now and would never started this thread.

I hope you are all happy now flamers,

You made someone sad irl :/

And hi gunz btw, I was wondering what took you so long ;)

B

Bejeezus

Flaming someone because of how they've made their spec choices shouldn't be an issue, I started my first ever character as a 2h pally. I had heard bad things about it, but I went ahead and did it anyway, and was extremely pleased with it up till about level 18 or so. It was about then that I realised, sure I'm soloing yellows etc. etc. but a sword + shield paladin is doing it better.

Annoying, nobody would be happier than me if all specs in a game were equally viable (well, within reason :)).

That's just the way it is. :(

S

Silenzio

try 2h till 40 =)

then respec out if u dont like

groups will get u allways due to end regen...
:)

but atlest u've tested it by ur own... a bit

maybe in bg3 too

yess yess real rvr is differente but fek for 40 lvl u got what u liked...

and remeber 2h have an easy to land stun chain...
not long as slam... but still an advantage to let somene run

have fun

S

sendraks

Any player worth their salt and leading a group should give a free spot to anyone who asks, providing they're going to pull their weight and are not just around to PL. I think its pretty sad that their are players out there who won't group with you because you aren't playing what is recognised as the most effective spec.

Sis is a 2-h Pally and she was never short of a group in Bg3 or outside of it. Its the player and their attitude thats more important for a fun game than being the "uber 1337" spec.

Play what you wanna play and have fun. If you're 2-h Pally reaches the mid 30's quickly and its looking for a group gimme a shout, you'd be more than welcome.

P

pitspawn

First off, any class that only uses a 2h weapon will suffer for total utility on SC. It is far easier for S&S/DW peeps to cap stats. Not saying its impossible to get a v nice template done but straight off your at a disadvantage.

Now chuck in the fact that you have to spec chants do a decent level taking a big chunk of your total spec points away. Also take into account that you need to spec both 2h and base damage type to raise average dmg (2h AND slash/crush/thrust) This leaves you with below the best styles, bad chants, low min damage and probably bad parry.

Unless mythic ever remove the requirement for base speccing of 2h/pole weaponry 2h paladins will never be anywhere near as viable as S&S

K

Kagato.

Read through the thread so far, where are the flames? Don't think any of the posts so far could be considered a real flame, we arn't that bad.

Everyone is just stating the facts, if you want to be a 2 hand damage dealer you need to be an Armsman to get the real damage and benefits from that role.
If you want to be a group friendly tank with chants then you need to stay alive and help your spellcasters stay alive with shield and chants running.

Everything you can do as a 2hand paladin someone else can do better, An Armsman will always out damage you and a s/s Paladin will do a better job with the chants, as he wont be so easy to kill. All this and they can guard and slam.

But essentially, you pay the account so its up to you, if your can accept all of these facts and still want to go ahead with the spec by all means do it. Its your right, just don't get upset with people for not choosing you first for groups or accepting it as well.

S

sigh

With rear snare and stun change to 2handed, it might make abit of difference, a hybrid with a sort of pf, but you would have to autotrain for a decent spec, damage output is a nice bonus. Sadly tho, the Paladin is the only class in the group <i.e fotm group> that possess's a anytime stun, which is sort of handy for casters and healers that refuse to let you hit from behide.<moc also inclued ofc> and allows your ubah tanks to perform nice side chains.

But ofc, if the changes we read about in the up and coming TOA expanision are the same since I last read them, then the Master Ability most Paladin's will be going for, I imagine will be the Battle Master MA, which possess's the Body Guard Abilty, an abilty which does not allow your selected guarded target to be damaged by melee damage untill you are dead. So...48 chants might become viable again for the last af, unless your group has 2 BB's for af buff's, and Ofc high shield spec's, AP, FH, IP for ubah survival. On a side note this expanision might bring Albion alittle closer in line, making use of some of lesser effective/used defensive abilites i.e plate and sob to mention a few + ofc our more notiable abilites, not that the other realsm dont have advantage's from this abilty, but what do you expect <i.e higher wepskill and moose>. Anyways im probably being a noob as per norm so /ramble off.

A

Ala

:wall:

ffs

one word to sum it all up:

old.

Now to a more constructive reply.. <ehem> Your char, your choice, your the one playing it. As Silenz said u can always respec at 40.

back to useless taunting....

Everyone else who flames 2hd can just f**k off. If 2hd was NOT ALLOWED maybe people wouldn't spec it... but as you CAN spec it... just leave alone the people that do and get on with leveling your own chars. kthxbyetwats

S

Saevus

respeccing from s/s to 2h here!!

Doing it just for fun... and that's the key in the game --> have fun!

B

Brynn

I have an Avalonian Paladin - 2handed thrust afaik

Gimptothemax Fotm :D

P

Poseidon

ive been thinking of respeccing to 2h aswell, seems so damn fun, mostly cuz i want a big 2h:) but guildies have stoped me from it thisfar. imo do as u whish if u dont like just get a respecc stone.

T

Trubble

Paladin is the tank with the lowest damage output in Albion. So by speccing your paladin for damage you are attempting to up a real bad damage output to an average damage output.

The specialty of the paladin is his defence, and hence a defensive paladin is something of the most hard to kill in the game. The special paladin realm ability is a heal ability.

So its granted you will see many people making paladins for defence, and its rather rare to see people making it for damage. Those rare damage paladins are mostly people who wants to do it because no one else are doing it.

S

Saevus

Yep it's a little true about wanting to do something no one does :p

But what also is true... paladin are one of the last to be killed... so if i can do somewhat more damage, i might be able to kill some more peeps before i die :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom