Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still butthurt about your mahoosive bills eh?

Shows you that capitalism is fucked - we're supposed to use our conscience in our buying habits, but it makes fuck all difference.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My bills are £130 a month atm. They were £65 before, mind.

But the point stands, renewables should be cheaper to the customer.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We've been saying we should do that since the 90's @Embattle - and in 2008 the head of the UN's environment agency said he could have 'solved' global warming for the price we paid to bail out the banks using exactly this sort of project.

Anyway - good read:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Said this ages ago @Embattle. It's an "open secret" that Drax is bent, that the Tories have been subsidising it, that wood (and biomass) isn't a "renewable" source and it should be reclassified as not.

We should shoot the people involved. From the involved politicians, the owners and senior management at the plant and the companies that ship the logs in full knowledge of what they're for.

We should have left it as a coal plant. (Or really, shut it down).

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The fact that they ship them from the other side of the world is fucked enough for me.

Maybe it's the intentional fall guy for 'green energy' so old Moggy boy can push his domestic fossil fuel agenda.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Two hundred and sixty billion to clean up our nuclear (although not a title change as I'd initially specified Sellafield. Got to stick to the rules!).

What I didn't know is that our existing, not decomissioned or being worked on Magnox fleet is unsafe.

Deterioration of one of the Magnox stations, Trawsfynydd, which shut down in 1991, is such that substantial work is needed to make it safe, according to the NDA. “Work that would then need to be undone to complete reactor dismantling
We've "abandoned" any decomissioning timetable and the buildings are sat there, getting more dangerous over time.

I agree (under protest because of this sort of thing) that we should build limited additional capacity - but we are properly fucked by this, and making our "we don't know what to do" situation worse with each one we build.

It's a special kind of madness we're afflicted with. These things are really, really dangerous.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I love the Good Law Project.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I love the Good Law Project.

I do indeed.

Unfortunately, they're not legally obliged to do fuck all about it. - they will just change the policy (they've done so - they've made it a lot worse) - and Good Law will have to go through the whole process again.

Violence is the answer here, unfortunately.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I hadn't heard of that, sounds like there might have been some juicy under the radar decisions being made there.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The world makes it to 8 billion people in 20 days 11 hours and 38 minutes from now :(

What's the solution though?

Eugenics is the only solution, if we financially disincentive it, dumb & poor people (not necessarily mutually exclusive) are still going to have lots of babies whilst more intelligent people are going to have less, which isn't going to be much use for humanity.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What's the solution though?
One child per family is a good start - the union of concerned scientists have been signposting overpopulation as a massive existential problem for three decades now.

Don't enforce it (when we try to do that it always ends horribly) - but tax the living fuck out of anyone who wants more than one.

Eugenics is the only solution
Nope.

Although, to be fair, there's a strong argument we should be artificially selecting for intelligence since we've outgrown natural evolution.

if we financially disincentive it, dumb & poor people (not necessarily mutually exclusive) are still going to have lots of babies whilst more intelligent people are going to have less, which isn't going to be much use for humanity.
Depends on what level of financial disincentive I suppose. Coupled with the right (and incessant) messaging you could make people social pariahs if they're selfish enough to have more than one.

But then - overpopulation is only one of many problems we have. We need pan-societal radical change if we're going to survive.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
One child per family is a good start - the union of concerned scientists have been signposting overpopulation as a massive existential problem for three decades now.

From pure climate perspective this could help, but then we end up in a world full of old people depending on an ever shrinking pool of young people to prop up society. Combine it with culling the old and you might save the planet but probably not a pleasant society to live in left behind

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
From pure climate perspective this could help, but then we end up in a world full of old people depending on an ever shrinking pool of young people to prop up society. Combine it with culling the old
People always reach for culling the old - but killing people at the end of their consumptive lives when they subsist on salmon paste butties and shortbread is going to do fuck all.

We need less people - and wholesale economic reform.

And we need to move away from the idea that in old age you're reliant on the young - you retain 90% of your muscle strength at 90 years old if you've done the right things your whole life. The vast majority of invalidity and disability is self-inflicted. If you're genuinely incapable of looking after yourself then you should be considering Terry Pratchett's desired solution (or heroin + a cliff). But if we don't run our economies the way we do we can build-in a long healthspan.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Plenty of space on earth, but we need get better at using the resources we have.

Passing the savings for renewables onto the consumer is not necessarily the best way to encourage more renewables. In the northwest of the USA, energy providers get paid at the most expensive production rate. So if 20% of the demand is met by hydro (cheapest), and 40% is nuclear (next cheapest) and you need gas to bridge the gap (40%), then the nuclear and hydro providers get paid at the cost for gas. Made up numbers here, but if it cost $2 per megawatt for hydro, $5 for nuclear and $20 for gas, then if cost was $20, then hydro generators made $17, nuclear made $15 and gas makers broke even. As demand spiked plants would be brought online, and it would be more profitable for those producing cheapest electricity. This incentivized energy producers to invest in low cost renewables, and to only use the expensive burner plants in emergencies. The transmission of power across the USA is a mess though, so you have these smaller energy hubs surrounded by large hubs, and Texas just sits on its own. Building solar plants in Arizona isn't going to help with the price of electricity in New York.

To encourage renewables, the transmission of power should be a priority, as should energy storage, so areas where you could feasibly have lots of renewables had the ability to get it where consumers are based. This is missing almost everywhere. Denmark and Netherlands do it well because they're so small geographically, but imagine if the tidal capacity in Scotland could be used to power London? Or if the huge windfarms in the Baltic and North Sea could power western Europe? It's slowly happening, but not at the scale we need it.

We also need the ability to allow independent operators to push spare power into the grid, and be paid for it. This obviously requires investment on the behalf of utilities, but they should be mandated by law to do this. Pick a region, set a date, and make it so. Once done, next region. After a number of years, all done. In the USA, they're lobbying politicians to make it illegal to do this, unfortunately. Wouldn't want to interfere with the monopoly on electricity and transmission the big utilities have.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Plenty of space on earth, but we need get better at using the resources we have.
It's not space. It's consumption.

Unless you're prepared to live like a poverty-stricken nomad (and you're not, you're really really not) then we need less people. Period.

The earth can sustain about 2.5-3bn people at a western level of consumption. Max.

And this isn't just about energy. It's about way more than that narrow tiny subject.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
So when is it going to get to the point where someone suggests nuking India? I mean the alternative is China but we probably couldn't live without them.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
It's not space. It's consumption.

Unless you're prepared to live like a poverty-stricken nomad (and you're not, you're really really not) then we need less people. Period.

The earth can sustain about 2.5-3bn people at a western level of consumption. Max.

And this isn't just about energy. It's about way more than that narrow tiny subject.

I heard North-Eastern (ish) Europe could be considered for demolishing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Except for a test run to make sure it was all working, not touched the heating yet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sizewell C might be scrapped. Too expensive.

Also - fuck the North. No railway for the Northern Powerhouse (i.e. no northern powerhouse).

Not massively surprised. Nuclear is hella expensive and has a 15 year lead time (and we could probably float a load of wind in multiple locations elsewhere on the planet and lay long cables for less - but we'll probably just burn coal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom