Zerg LDs

O

old.Ramas

During the AMG battles yesterday, a number of people observed that during large charges of one force into another - 30% or so of the players on either side would simultaeneously go LD.

Following that - I Rightnowed GOA and asked if this was the server kicking people to prevent a server crash, and if there was an intended limit to the number of people sustainable in one battle. I got this reply....

Originally posted by GOA
No the server is not trying to protect itself from a crash.

Link dead are due to the computer (CPU, graphic cards, ram...).

So there you have it - the mass LDs are not due to server kicks, they are the result of 30% of the customer base's PCs simultaeneously reaching their limit and giving up.

;)

Make of that what you will.

N

noaim

I didnt LD once, and got a fairly good computer. The ld´s could be people who forgot /effects self and then someone fired a VP or something.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by noaim
I didnt LD once, and got a fairly good computer. The ld´s could be people who forgot /effects self and then someone fired a VP or something.

I've had that happen - VP or the fire wizard aoe or the lag hammers of doom (courtesy of your local thane) on 40-50 people at once _will_ cripple your computer, enough to make it stop responding.

F

-fwapp-

Fo.... my lds happened where suddenly the lag bars went red while the fps one remained green, and i had t wait around for about 20 seconds with a fine framerate until the game told me id gone ld

K

Kindar

Makes no sense at all, sometimes i just go LD when walking around in xp zone without lag or anything. Nothing that choke my comp, and not my connection dying either :-/

K

Khalen

Even with my monster and effects none I LDed a coupe of time without even being in the fight... And my connection was fine.

I

ilienwyn

Well, i went ld quite a lot. I got a pretty good PC but connections here are not as good as we would like them :(

P

Pin

People saying "my connection was fine".. what are you meaning?
Your machine->your ISP?
your ISP->EU backbone?
all the hops down the backbone?
the backbone->GOA?

Just because you can still use IRC, IE, and whatever doesn't mean that it's GOAs fault ;)

A

Aussie-

i enjoyed killing those popping mids at amg tbh

N

NoBrains

This is ultershit...

I have a pretty good pc and I never ld'd for GFX / RAM / CPU till today (and I have been updating my pc continusly)

My ADSL is quite stable...
And I wouldn't specialy LD on effects none lol... To my eyes they don't wanna admit they're servers crash...
As I can't belive that at some point _EVERYONE_ ld'd like it happens once or twice because everyone runs shity pc's apart from goa

roflol aye VP on 50 guys with effects all is crazy but with effects none i can walk in HUGE relic zergs without any lag... Goa bullshits 4 tehwin

E

Ekydus

Well my connection on DAoC has been really bad whenever I go on DAoC, I just go LD and my connection completely drops after about 10-20 minutes on average. It's frustrating, considering my connection won't re-connect until my PC has been reset about 3 times. It is fine on anything else. GOA causing it? I don't know, but I'd really like to know what the hell is going on. This started up about 2-3 days before all of you lot started complaining about LDs and such. So I think that's around 2 weeks ago.

L

lac_desariel

I got Great Conection and a Nice PC spec also but I did Lage Die and LD with i hit the VP button, Was a wicked spam of some 2-3 pages of names, I streached it out and got only 1 page before i crashed, But normal RvR in the zergs i was LD too, and tbh I Never LD normaly in the zerg like RR etc

T

telaron

~100-150 albs ld'd simultaniously while doing nothing but moving to hlid.

The LD's always happend simoltaniously. Forget to turn off effects you only do once. I ld'd total of 4-5 times yesterday. Everytime shitloads of others did it at the same time. I turned off effects and changed everything else to minimize lag long before first ld.

T

telaron

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GOA
No the server is not trying to protect itself from a crash.

Link dead are due to the computer (CPU, graphic cards, ram...).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This just got so muc more funny. I so think the downtime is worth it!
Everyone point and laugh!

N

NoBrains

Well by the time i'm typing this post another big fighting in odin's caused both odin's and emain to crash

When they got up it was authentication server turn to go down...

Ironicaly we should advise goa to buy more RAM and CPU and a Better GFX to they're servers as reply?

Fucking idiots in front of this game on europe:sleeping: :sleeping: :m00:

F

-fwapp-

While we're on the subject tho, does anyone find that they're sometimes instantly cut out of the game without an LD screen or any lag from CPU or net connection, but u just get returned to desktop for no reason? happens to me completely at random, sometimes several times an hour, sometimes not once in 5

A

Aloca

Originally posted by -fwapp-
While we're on the subject tho, does anyone find that they're sometimes instantly cut out of the game without an LD screen or any lag from CPU or net connection, but u just get returned to desktop for no reason? happens to me completely at random, sometimes several times an hour, sometimes not once in 5

That is probably your computer setup, like bad drivers or similar..

F

Flimgoblin

Fo.... my lds happened where suddenly the lag bars went red while the fps one remained green, and i had t wait around for about 20 seconds with a fine framerate until the game told me id gone ld

that was opentransit...

when people LD when there's two opposing forces charging at each other - it's probably the computer giving up ;)

reading some other replies:

THREE DIFFERENT THINGS HERE

1. opentransit being shite. That's the linkdeads that everyone had - both ping and packetloss indicators go red.

2. authentication server being shite - that's when the game crashed and booted _everyone_ (almost)

3. people's machines not being upto it when there's 100 people doing AoE - that's what this post was about - read the first paragraph about _some_ (not all) people going LD as they hit amg.

O

old.Ramas

To be fair, I actually think the LD at amg problem is more likely opentransit than player's machines.

30% is too many people to all have forgotten to turn off spell effects.

The key point is from GOA's note is that the server has no ability to kick people as a defence mechanism - which is something various people were speculating about.

It's quite possible GOA's ISP is kicking people to protect their systems of course - and that I suspect is where the "opentransit problem" is coming from. (Though they probably refer to it as dumping packets when they get overloaded or something)

D

Dogsbody

PC performance is certainly a possibility, but i run 3 computers with an account running on each. 2 of my PC's are Pentium 4 3GHz with over 512mb DDR and ATi 9800XT and ATi 9700pro graphics cards, the 3rd PC a Pentium 4 1.8 with 512mb and 9000 graphics card running a cleric bot so obviously not affected by the goings on from intense battle etc, yet when i do occasionally go LD all 3 PC's will do so simultaneously. If only 2 PC's LD'd at the same time then their story would hold some water, but when there is very little happening on the 3rd PC and it still LD's along with the other 2 then PC performance is not the issue, but rather lack of network packets from the server I think.

K

Khalen

Originally posted by Pin
People saying "my connection was fine".. what are you meaning?
Your machine->your ISP?
your ISP->EU backbone?
all the hops down the backbone?
the backbone->GOA?

Just because you can still use IRC, IE, and whatever doesn't mean that it's GOAs fault ;)

I never mentioned it was GOA's fault. And yes I checked my hops to GOA and they are fine, there's one point that's a peak and that's the Chello Main Server in NY which gives a high peak of about 280 ping and then drops down again when it reaches France. Considering my ping from NL to France is around 180-200 at the end so still quite playable. And don't ask me why Chello routes like that it's they find it necessary to have all the traffic go to one place (probably to check it) and then send it to their destinations. No packetloss, no Errors, so imo my connection is fine (in the meaning of I can get to GOA's servers without errors or loss of info). And if it was a connection problem you would go slowly LD (red lamps going on for 10-15 secs and if it ain't fixed it will kick yah saying you went linkdead). The thing here is we get kicked instantly without any traffic interrupt by the providers (both goa and your own isp).

Furthermore I don't think it's a problem with GOA or their server I think it's rather a game flaw that generates too much traffic. But I'm not behind the server I wouldn't know what's going wrong. Only thing we know it's a weird error and it keeps a lot of people from enjoying some nice battles. Weird thing is that Prydwen had some large scale keepraids not long ago and it all went fine. I just guess that there are a lot of factors they gotta check what's going wrong atm.

K

Khalen

Something I've encountered also a few times. And I've also encountered a weird bug that somehow let's my chars stay ingame while being LD on the actual screen. So for example I was PLing a bot and I'm still PLing it but on my other screen I see that my bot is no longer ingame and with a linkdead screen. But on the other screen I still see his char in the group and I believe it still received xp (not sure though, not had chance to test it properly because I can't generate the error because I don't know how it even starts) but it ain't showing ingame (so no visual char standing ingame). Might be good idea to check that as well I think. Probably some false info receiving from server I guess.

I wish GOA good luck in finding the nasty error(s) and I bet they certainly ask Mythic to check it as well.

T

Thorgood

Hmm sounds like an excuse from GOA!

My setup is this:

P4 2.400
512mb DDR ram
ATI Radeon 9700pro with 128mb RAM
and a stable ADSL 2.500/768 line

I still go LD??? I have never had this problem in the past (before server upgrade or whatever it was) I could handle the big battles with some lag ofcourse but not enough to make me go LD.

I say it's either GOA line or it's the server that can't hold the amounts of people in one place. So instead of GOA to place the fault on us they should go back to the server and have a look at the logs and see what it says. After the upgrade we have gotten a bad server that crashed for nothing and people goes LD even if they have a good system to play on.

They have about 400 to 600 players in the same place and that takes alot from the server to handle. But that is what the game is designed for and therefor should be able to handle, and i think the game software is good enough as you don't see the same problems on other servers. We only have it on Excalibur atm. and that must be a server problem imo.

C

chronictank

My spec:
AMD Barton - Running at 3.11Ghz
1Gb Ram
2 x 120Gb HDD
Radeon 9800 pro (8x)

My game has never ld'd since i got broadband, even on the massive battle at amg i only felt slight lag.

It ld for the first time yesterday, so it cant be my hardware as i far surpass the spec fro SI. Usually i would have a second account running on the same PC, but i had only 1 account going with effects off.

BS excuse imo

G

Garbannoch Nox

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
3. people's machines not being upto it when there's 100 people doing AoE - that's what this post was about - read the first paragraph about _some_ (not all) people going LD as they hit amg.

i am not so sure if this is only a client side issue; you have to keep in mind that apart from clipping everything is calculated server side (ie damage etc) so when 100+ people get aoed by let's say 10+ damage dealers it will put quite some extra load on the servers - so numbers is only one thing but it could be the extra resources needed to calculate damage and other effects that finally bring the server down.
First of all this should not happen at all with decent hardware and software (noone apart from Mythic and GOA can really say whether it is a hardware or software error). Secondly GoA has no recovery strategy - when the servers go down they will be up again next morning if we are lucky enough that it's not a Sunday or another work-free day. If they are not able to keep the systems stable they could at least implement automated recovery.

K

Keogh

I've got

3ghz P4 800mhz FSB CPU
1gb PC3200 DDR400 RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX5900 Ultra GFX Card
160gb SATA HDD (2x80g in raid 0)
1mbit NTL broadband

I had all setting set to near and spell effects to off.

GOA can fuck off with that bullshit excuse.

M

Maghica

Tuesday, when the first server crash happened, I logged on Camlann till after a while Excalibur was up again. Not wanting to log on my shammie, who LD on amg, I logged on my crafter and kept in touch over /gu with the fighting forces in Uppland/Odin's.
Till....all of a sudden they ALL went ofline:(
My friendslist was completely empty!

I did /who Uppland:1shammy
/who Aegirs: 0players
/who Odin's: 0players

Then on /as (White Rose Alliance) I called out and found 2 others (crafters also) online...all lvl20+

After about 5 minutes: all silence

I was all alone in this world?

Logged my shammie at amg and took a walk to: hmg, back to amg, to apk....not 1 soul in sight ! !

:merlin:ME rules in Excalibur !!!!:merlin:

F

Flimgoblin

tis quite possible there's a
4:
amount of network traffic does something bad somewhere :)

just don't see it being a server thing if _only 30%_ drop out - router thing? client side thing? quite possibly.

Reason I mentioned 3 above is that I've seen it happen :) sounded most like that from the above post, but I'm open to the suggestion it's something different.

(although I guess it still could be the server getting so busy it can only serve 2/3 of the requests in time for them to keep alive?)

Users who are viewing this thread