Xbox One Announcement

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
£600 for a console itself, bitches may aswell purchase pee cees.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
  • You do not own the games you buy. You license them.
  • Discs are only used to install and then license games and do not imply ownership.
  • People can play games installed on your console whether you're logged in or not.
  • 10 people can be authorised to play these games on a different Xbox One via the cloud, but not at the same time, similar to iTunes authorised devices.
  • Publishers decide whether you can trade in your games and may charge for this.
  • Publishers decide whether you can give a game you own to someone for free, and this only works if they have been on your friends list for 30 days.
  • Your account allows you to play the games you license on any console.
  • Your Xbox One must connect to the internet every 24 hours to keep playing games.
  • When playing on another Xbox One with your account, this is reduced to one hour.
  • Live TV, Blu-ray and DVD movies are exempt from these internet requirements.
  • Loaning and renting games will not be possible at launch, but Microsoft is "exploring the possibilities".
  • Microsoft may change these policies or discontinue them at any point.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-07-microsoft-kills-game-ownership-and-expects-us-to-smile

Fucking LOL. This is going to crash and burn, hard.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Hopefully, but a lot of people are putting their faith in the PS4 not doing something similar, which is naive imho, even if Sony don't do all of this shit a launch, they'll do it eventually, probably on a game by game basis.

This is the way media consumption is going (not just games), you licence not buy, rent not own, and price competition is only between rival ecosystems, not rival retailers. Competition is removed and there's a nice cozy carve-up between content creator and platform owner at the expense of the end user (look at Agency Pricing in ebooks).

Everyone scoffs and says the idea will crash and burn, but if every media owner is doing it, how are you going to opt out of the system if you want to play games, listen to music, read a book? Sure you can stick to old formats for now, but I'm sat in the centre of a capital city and we're down to two decent bookstores in the centre of town, no music and DVD stores worth the name (and nowhere at all to rent within a half hour drive), and a couple of shitty GameStops that sell chart console games. All of these shops are in trouble, and I give the lot of them maybe two years (one of the bookstores maybe a bit longer because of student business).

Microsoft are doing this now because they reckon the time is right for them to get away with it, and the pessimist in me says they've got a good chance of pulling it off.

Gwadien

So this Christmas either the planet will come out of recession or two of the biggest gaming companies will finally realize they can't take the piss too much and burn.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It really isn't that new, it was just harder to enforce in the past on consoles but we tend to be selective in our criticism.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I can see myself moving away from video games all together with news like this, much prefer chilling out on the sofa/bed to play games as opposed to hunched over a desk.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
PS4 is going to take the Xbox One to the fucking cleaners providing Sony don't do any of the above shit.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Curious how they can enforce the whole "Not allowed to resell games without permission" thing because in Europe there is still a law in place that basically says "Fuck you, I can resell software and there isn't fuck all you can do about it legally" so unless they plan on putting up with fines there really isn't much they can do.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...f_used_software_licenses_is_legal_even_online

pretty sure that law is still in effect in the EU unless Sony/Microsoft plan to challenge it.

"Europe's highest court ruled on Tuesday that the trading of "used" software licenses is legal and that the author of such software cannot oppose any resale."

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I can see myself moving away from video games all together with news like this, much prefer chilling out on the sofa/bed to play games as opposed to hunched over a desk.

Are wireless peripherals not available in the north or something? I know many people who use a PC as a console, plugged into the TV in their living room.

Also http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Curious how they can enforce the whole "Not allowed to resell games without permission" thing because in Europe there is still a law in place that basically says "Fuck you, I can resell software and there isn't fuck all you can do about it legally" so unless they plan on putting up with fines there really isn't much they can do.

Steam doesn't seem to give a fuck, that's probably how they will deal with it...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Steam is American. You only pay in GBP or Euros or whatever.

Edit, also Steam market is in beta atm for in game tat, they may well add games later on.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/game/3423715/valve-sued-in-germany-over-game-ownership/

Steam did give a fuck it seems but still managed to get around said law but a fresh suit is in progress, seems they're determined not to let Steam get away with it in an effort to curb any future companies thinking the same thing.

One of the key points brought into question was the prices on Steam, they asked "If I don't own the Steam title why do I have to pay that of a full price game for it?"

Curious about the outcome tbh, prob not change but I can see them being rather persistent at pursuing Steam over it regardless of the outcomes.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ps4-will-debut-below-400-says-analyst-6409442

Not official but sounding good.

"The PlayStation 4 will debut later this year below $400, Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia said in a note to investors today ahead of next week's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

He said Sony was negatively impacted from launching the PlayStation 3 at an "extremely high" $600 and that the company will not repeat this pricing.
"Given that experience, we believe Sony will aim to keep the price point for PlayStation 4 below $400," Bhatia said.
He added that because Sony's PlayStation Network is free, the company is missing out on an opportunity to subsidize the next-generation system through a subscription model.
Still, he believes Sony will stick with a sub-$400 price point, even if it means losing money on the console itself.
Concerning Nintendo's showing at E3 next week, Bhatia said though the company is in a "tough spot" and expectations are low, it is unwise to bet against the Mario maker.
"Never write-off Nintendo," he said, noting the company has the potential to surprise gamers."

Gwadien

Tbh, at this rate, the Steam Box is gonna eat up all competition.

Won't be a bad thing mind.

Gabe > Every other cunt.

Aada

Part of the furniture
it'll be cheaper than that, they'll fall into the ps3 trap again if they try and flog them at £400

Doubt it will be cheaper than £399, I think £399 is probably what it's going to go for.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Tbh, at this rate, the Steam Box is gonna eat up all competition.

Won't be a bad thing mind.

Gabe > Every other cunt.

As I stated earlier and you've proven we are selective in our criticism depending on the company.

As for the price of both, I suspect £300-349.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
ibcj6IIHES2ffw.gif

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Jesus there is more speculation and gossip in here than most women's magazine's.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Well that's me convinced. Will keep my current gen consoles until they die... then give up gaming..ish

Aada

Part of the furniture
I said £399 minimum. Anyone thinking below £399 is very wishful.

£429.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom