Xbox One Announcement

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Let them get on with it, they can go sit in the special corner and make their TV/console/pc hybrid... mean while console makers will continue making consoles.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
The fact that Xbox One isn't backward compatible with 360 games has put the nail in the coffin for me.

Aada

Part of the furniture
No you can't that's why many believe Sony bought that game streaming service last year.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The fact that Xbox One isn't backward compatible with 360 games has put the nail in the coffin for me.
Why would that be a dealbreaker? I wouldn't have expected it to.

Never actually checked but can you play PS3 games on the PS4?

No, and nobody expected it to given the break from Cell architecture back to sensibleness. That said, any games you have on PSN you will still have on PSN and will stream for you over Gaikai. ( or most should, as I read it - that doesn't include standard PS3 games etc, only eg PS1/PS2/indie games you bought on psn ).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Why would that be a dealbreaker? I wouldn't have expected it to.

No, and nobody expected it to given the break from Cell architecture back to sensibleness. That said, any games you have on PSN you will still have on PSN and will stream for you over Gaikai. ( or most should, as I read it - that doesn't include standard PS3 games etc, only eg PS1/PS2/indie games you bought on psn ).

Ahh ok

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It would either be the extra expense of a separate chip (at least!) or software emulation, which would also be a ballache/be expensive.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just have to wait 5-10 years for a working ps3 emulator then I guess :<

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
sillies-20130521-08b3c.gif

:D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Let them get on with it, they can go sit in the special corner and make their TV/console/pc hybrid... mean while console makers will continue making consoles.

You mean Nintendo? Because the PS4 may have a sooper-dooper spec but Sony are still aiming for the holy grail of ownership of the living room; they won't be flogging PS4 as "just a games machine" either.

I'm quite surprised about some of the comments on here; none of you seem to remember we went through all the same shit last time and it turns out than none of the fanboy wank about who had the best spec mattered at all; in the short-term the "weakest" console (Wii) wiped the fucking floor with the others for a good three years, and in the end the PS3 and XBox clawed their way back to near parity, mainly by broadening their appeal to families and encroaching on the Wii's territory, and because MS do a particularly good job with the XBox in America. Now, I don't expect Wii U to do the same this time around (because no-one seems to like it), but making calls about XBone v PS4 based on specs and presentations is a fool's errand; it'll come down to marketing and distribution, not who pushes the most polygons.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Worst thing about a new console is definitely for the developers. Publishers just want stuff for the new kit, the new kit demands a lot of research/"stuff" to do before it can run even the last gen stuff and that kills directly development time from the titles and then publishers still demand the same delivery schedule.

So in essence developers are forced to do games for a new console with less resources and then get sh*t for it since they are, ofcourse, inferior.

Expect "pretty graphics" to be the selling point for all games in the start.

DaGaffer

Hilarious. I can imagine the conversation now; Christmas Day, everyone's around the TV to Play XBox One Dance Groove Anthems 36 and the message comes up "number of user views exceeded, please purchase extended licence with your Live! account". Everybody looks to the corner of the room. "Gran, go and sit in the hall".

I very much doubt MS will want the negative 1984 PR about people being watched in their living rooms.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The good thing about this pending console doom(basing it on the internet rage etc) is -possibly- two fold; more PC content and -possibly- a new console from some cosmic arse that will harken to PS1/Xbox times.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The good thing about this pending console doom(basing it on the internet rage etc) is -possibly- two fold; more PC content and -possibly- a new console from some cosmic arse that will harken to PS1/Xbox times.

They need to go back to a more simple console style thats for sure

Playstation 1 sales: 102,490,000
Playstation 2 sales: 150,000,000
Playstation 3 sales: 57,000,000

Now you could argue that the first 2 have been out longer but the fact they're still respectfully almost double/triple the sales of the Playstation 3 just goes to show the others were clearly more popular and the reason? because it was a case of put cd in, press power on, play game - simple but clearly effective. - Playstation 2 just had the form

Xbox 1 sales: 24,000,000
Xbox 360 sales: 57,800,000

- - - - -

All that said I still think the PS4 is going to be ok providing they dont go "LOL SAME DRM AS THE XBOX" at the last minute.

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Misleading info; the PS1 didn't have much competition, the PS2 only got XBox 1 competition towards the end of its life and GameCube was relatively speaking, a sales failure. PS3 had direct competition from 360 and Wii right from the start. So if you compare the total last gen: (PS2, GC, Xbox = 155m+24m+22m = 201m), v. total current gen: (PS3, 360, Wii = 77m+77+100m = 254m). Your analysis fails as the market for current gen has grown by 25%. You can't look at an individual console in isolation, you have to look at the market. The only thing you can say about the console market is that gameplay and broad family appeal (edit: and price) are the real drivers of growth, not high end graphics.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
If there is one thing we learnt from the last round of consoles is that is it not about the hardware. It is about signing up those developers and bringing out exclusive content that will ultimately make the difference.

My issue with PS3 was that I did not want my Credit Card number on a game box, that proved to be a good decision. Do not intend to buy either of the consoles at release, will instead sit back and watch what content comes out, then make a decision. Still do not want to put my credit card details into a game box, so that may also affect the decision. :)

DaGaffer

If there is one thing we learnt from the last round of consoles is that is it not about the hardware. It is about signing up those developers and bringing out exclusive content that will ultimately make the difference.

My issue with PS3 was that I did not want my Credit Card number on a game box, that proved to be a good decision. Do not intend to buy either of the consoles at release, will instead sit back and watch what content comes out, then make a decision. Still do not want to put my credit card details into a game box, so that may also affect the decision. :)

Do what I do, I have a pre-pay visa card that I just use for digital content. All my Kindle, iTunes and games content gets paid on that (it also handily seems to have fewer issues with region blocking) and anything physical goes on my regular cc/db cards.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Do what I do, I have a pre-pay visa card that I just use for digital content. All my Kindle, iTunes and games content gets paid on that (it also handily seems to have fewer issues with region blocking) and anything physical goes on my regular cc/db cards.

No such thing in UAE as far as I am aware.

DaGaffer

No such thing in UAE as far as I am aware.

Took me 2 seconds to google "pre-pay credit card uae" and find a bunch of them. I would have thought pre-pay cards would be culturally very in line with arab views on lending.

Embattle

FH is my second home
They need to go back to a more simple console style thats for sure

Playstation 1 sales: 102,490,000
Playstation 2 sales: 150,000,000
Playstation 3 sales: 57,000,000

Now you could argue that the first 2 have been out longer but the fact they're still respectfully almost double/triple the sales of the Playstation 3 just goes to show the others were clearly more popular and the reason? because it was a case of put cd in, press power on, play game - simple but clearly effective. - Playstation 2 just had the form

Xbox 1 sales: 24,000,000
Xbox 360 sales: 57,800,000

- - - - -

All that said I still think the PS4 is going to be ok providing they dont go "LOL SAME DRM AS THE XBOX" at the last minute.

Yeah sadly you kind of utterly ignore market and competition factors which to me utterly invalidate the simple sells.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Embattle

FH is my second home
Doesn't make me wrong. And I'm not wrong in saying the PS4 is going to take the Xbox One to the cleaners unless Microsoft pull something out of the hat.

In other news

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/14952/article/sony-employees-respond-to-ps4-no-drm-campaign/

Atleast Sony are actually listening to fans.

Even if ignore other market factors and I use the latest figures that show sales of both PS3 and Xbox 360 at around 77million units each giving a total of 154million you can clearly see the trend, in essence Microsoft gained a much larger share of the market compared to the previous PS2 and Xbox but as you'll see below the market as a whole has been growing even with the consoles offering more functions:

5th Gen Consoles = 150 Million Units
6th Gen Consoles = 210 Million Units
7th Gen Consoles = 254 Million Units
(Excluding Handhelds)

I suspect the factors to decide which one to go for will be a mixture of price, exclusives, preference, etc and it isn't really going to be about the hardware so much because they will in reality be much the same. As for the second hand game market neither company has really said any thing so far and in the end both companies I suspect will probably end up with fairly similar policies and it probably won't be one that favours customers but more the bottom line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom