World of Warcraft

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I'm almost instantly uninterested in a game that thinks characters with unfeasibly massive weapons is a good selling point.

whats wrong with just normal swords and shields ffs, i dont want to be fighting people with a 40 foot long barb wire wrapped lamp-post.

Games like this just attract the 14 year old griefer 111one111!!11! set

GReaper

Part of the furniture
WoW feels far more polished than DAoC ever was.

It just seems far friendlier to the end user in WoW, being able to go from zone to zone, levelling up with quests and battlegrounds. You can easily figure out what spec to go for inside the game. You'll get sufficient drops to equip your character from quests. It doesn't seem that difficult to level up, even with a healer class - just go for a damage dealing talent spec.

DAoC just never reached that level of quality. They've made some effort to try and make the game more friendly in places, but it just feels like they're bolting on bits onto a rather poor code base. It feels like an old school MMORPG, forced to group up and grind mobs for experience unless you've got a class which is designed to solo without too much hassle.

It's no surprise that WoW has so many subscribers.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Some of the ex-BarrysWorld peeps play on Trollbane Alliance including myself.

Zede

Part of the furniture
do we have anyone rich and friendly to pay for one massive off-topic char transfer to the same server ? /hides

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
In DAOC, every green mob you kill you get XP, so its possible to just kill green mobs and get 50. In WOW, you can get aggro off greys (kinda annoying if you've got a long journey trying to avoid annoying combat every 5 seconds). Still trying to work out how XP is awarded for killing mobs. Killed a mob same level as me, got a bit of XP, killed a few more, zero XP. Even on quests, you get XP for maybe the first 2 or 3 mobs, but none after that. So is XP completely random for killing mobs?

Also, got a quest to go to Undercity - which I think takes me into PVP territory (East/West Plaguelands). Kinda sucky, as at level 24, I'm gonna be one-hitted by the first Alliance toon I see. At least in DAOC, PVP was confined to NF / DF / POC - not PVE levelling areas.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You must be on a pvp ruleset server then, on these you get flagged on all neutral zones from level 25 (could be 20). On a normal PvE ruleset server the only zones where you will be flagged for PvP are enemy home cities and wintergrasp (a level 80 zone) Along with the battlegrounds ofc (which you port to)
To get flagged for PvP in a normal zone you either turn your pvp flag on, attach an enemy guard or attack an enemy player who is pvp flagged, the effect will last for 5 minutes and reset each time you carry out a pvp action.

You get exp for killing all mobs down to green con. Are you sure the mobs you are attacking are green con? If they are then I would open a ticket with Blizzard.

Edit: Undercity isn't in the plaguelands its in the level 10ish undead zone, just south of Brill. If you started in silvermoon city there is a portal in the palace (NW corner of the city) which will port you just outside the undercity.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I'd like to add to what Raven said, that some zones have PvP objectives. Most of the time this involves capturing towers, but you can only take part if you activate your PvP flag. In return that means that you'll always be safe, if you don't do that =)

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
OT guild on WoW anyone?

... I've been looking for a new server to play on, Turalyon Alliance looks great according to the statistics, anyone up for it?

Zede

Part of the furniture
In DAOC, every green mob you kill you get XP, so its possible to just kill green mobs and get 50. In WOW, you can get aggro off greys (kinda annoying if you've got a long journey trying to avoid annoying combat every 5 seconds). Still trying to work out how XP is awarded for killing mobs. Killed a mob same level as me, got a bit of XP, killed a few more, zero XP. Even on quests, you get XP for maybe the first 2 or 3 mobs, but none after that. So is XP completely random for killing mobs?

Also, got a quest to go to Undercity - which I think takes me into PVP territory (East/West Plaguelands). Kinda sucky, as at level 24, I'm gonna be one-hitted by the first Alliance toon I see. At least in DAOC, PVP was confined to NF / DF / POC - not PVE levelling areas.

very few people gank low level chars, daoc it is not. Compared to daoc, killing a player the same level as yourself yields minimal rewards - if it was the daoc system, equivalent of about 100rp.

Syri

FH is my second home
very few people gank low level chars, daoc it is not. Compared to daoc, killing a player the same level as yourself yields minimal rewards - if it was the daoc system, equivalent of about 100rp.

To be honest, I've experienced quite the opposite, on the occasion I chose to join some friends on a pvp server. There were times when it wasn't too bad, but a lot of the time, especially around Hillsbrad, you could end up forced to leave a character alone for hours until the sad git gave up.
A lot of them would do it to try and get people to log on to their main and give them a proper fight. Some would do it for fun, or their idea of it at least. They all had one thing in common though, they believed that if you didn't buy into their idea of pvp, you shouldn't be on that server. Even if all your friends are there, and not anywhere else.
Of course, there's many different servers, and it's quite possible another server would be very different. I'm not going to be in a hurry to test that though. I've found a great guild on a pve server, and made some great friends through it.

OT guild on WoW anyone?

... I've been looking for a new server to play on, Turalyon Alliance looks great according to the statistics, anyone up for it?

I'd be up for rolling an alt with people, as long as it's not on an open pvp server. To be honest, there's still just as much choice for "real" pvp on a normal server, as you can flag yourself at any time, attack enemy towns, and of course, take part in the arranged pvp like battlegrounds. Only difference is that on the normal server, you can get away from it if you want to.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd be up for rolling an alt with people, as long as it's not on an open pvp server. To be honest, there's still just as much choice for "real" pvp on a normal server, as you can flag yourself at any time, attack enemy towns, and of course, take part in the arranged pvp like battlegrounds. Only difference is that on the normal server, you can get away from it if you want to.

Aye hence i suggested Turalyon, it's got a slight lean towards Alliance and it's a PvE server. Open to suggestions though if people are interested.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
I've just activated the third expansion trial on my account - I'm not sure if I've got time to play it though :) I'll gladly team up with you guys if I do though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I very much doubt there are any decent private servers. It would defeat the object of the game really, which despite all the morons that play (Who really are a noisy minority) is still the social aspect.

Anyway, its only £8.99 a month.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Lamp spent all his money on coke back in the 80s though, he needs to budget these days!

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I very much doubt there are any decent private servers. It would defeat the object of the game really, which despite all the morons that play (Who really are a noisy minority) is still the social aspect.

There were some very good ones last time I played (about January..)

WoWScape had about 20-30k people on prime time (on one server..) but got sued for 9million dollars a few months back or something ...

There also was another fun one with about 50x xp called WoWGasm with a few thousand people on prime time.

Edit: http://www.xtremetop100.com/world-of-warcraft look there.

Anyway, its only £8.99 a month

Plus about £50-100 for all the expansions :\

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You buy from the wrong stores then.

Anyway, games piracy is for *****.

Everz

FH is my second home

Anyway, its only £8.99 a month.

WoWScape in its prime was pretty much exactly like live (hence why it got sued and closed down). Had a huge population in the 30k mark. If there was another shard similiar to it then i'd opt for that heh.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
All the games + x packs are on sale for £20 - £25 atm (not including cata)

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Lamp no offence, but if you enjoy the game how comes your not going to pay the small monthly fee to play? I can understand if your extremely hard up for cash though.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
...to whom £80k wasn't a years wage. Not going to be a massive strain on your finances eh, Lamp?

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
...to whom £80k wasn't a years wage. Not going to be a massive strain on your finances eh, Lamp?

haha, exactly what I was thinking. Don't come on here telling everyone how much you earn then ask for a decent private WoW server.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
lol, why not? I couldn't give a rats arse if you don't like me using freeshards lol

I'm not a serious gamer, and will only be playing for 4 weeks anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom