World of Warcraft

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Cataclysm release in less than 1h is the answer :p

Punishment

Resident Freddy
That's not just casual players, even the most hardcore person will find it annoying returning to their corpse for the 4th time only to be killed again.

My partner absolutely hated every second on the pvp server we started on she stuck it out and had multiple level 80s but i could usually hear her screaming because some fucking arsehole corpse camped her, she likes the BGS though just doesn't like it when she is trying to PVE and someone who is 30-50 levels above her is bored and decides to make peoples lives hell.

While i like the idea of open world PVP and Blizzard putting more effort into it i remember what annoyed me about it in the first place.

I never corpse camped myself but many did and imo i guess you hit the nail on the head.

I once corpse camped a level 80 trio for 2h who corpsecamped my baby hunter , was a rogue/mage and warrior , terrific fun :p

Syri

FH is my second home
corpse camping sounds truly lame

It is, one of the main reasons I avoid the pvp servers. I used to play on one, only because some friends were on there, but the guild fell apart in the end, and some stopped playing, so I switched to a normal (pve) server, found some great friends on there, and never looked back.
If I want to pvp, there's still some options to me. If I just want to get on with quests or crafting, I can do so without being bothered.

Gray

FH is my second home
Wooo servers have been caked already, and its only been out <10 minutes!

Didn't see anything like this happen with the StarCraft release, but awesome.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
cant even get any news on whats wrong because blizzard have taken down all their sites... a fuck up of the highest order this

Gray

FH is my second home
Taking bets on the US servers being a smooth transition though.

How could they have not prepared for this (GoGo Illidan, i can see this coming back to bite them)

A flick of the switch they said...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Thats pretty much it for the endgame. You can also take part in the lolworthy 'PvP' which is probably the shittest single clusterfuck in any game I've played.

tbh, the pvp in WoW isn't much different then what the rvr is in daoc nowadays.

which says alot about how horrible daoc have gotten.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
What does the new expansion actually add that you can't do/get otherwise? two new races and some high level zones/Dungeons?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
New zones, level cap increased from 80 to 85, new profession, 2 new races, new story.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The whines you hear most likely aren't true, the hype you hear most likely isn't as good.

That's wow for ya, that's MMOs for ya.

Not serious in style, but the best fantasy mmo out there, flaws and not.

About cata release: Anyone who thinks a patch/add-on/change in game will go smoothly these days, needs to go back to playing consoles ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
What does the new expansion actually add that you can't do/get otherwise? two new races and some high level zones/Dungeons?

adds new zones, dungeons, races and re-works the old zones with the story types and improvements they made for the expansion (so they feel a little less 2 dimensional) also creates new class combos (Tauren Paladin hehehe)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
I got, in what seems to be an age ago, an UD female warrior (who used to kick ass in her shinny Vindicator set with a 2H axe) and a gnome mage (which Im enjoyed playin with Jergiot and his swedish guild, think we were top dogs back in the days when they 1st launched warsong bg)
Now I'm an old man, filled with regret, waiting to....
....ehrm no, excuse me, I meant: temp me to try WoW again pls :p

Any friendly organised guilds around?

Im thinking 'bout one of those wolfies rogue or a goblin warlock... :)

Syri

FH is my second home

New features that everyone gets, Cataclysm or not:
Completely re-worked 1-60 levelling experience, most zones and almost all quests completely re-done.
Level 1-60 instances revamped.
Fancy new water graphics.
Reforging available from an npc, to allow you to shift certain stats around on gear.

New features you need Cataclysm for:
Level cap raised to 85.
New zones and instance dungeons for level 80 to 85.
Some new battlegrounds.
Ability to use flying mounts in the old world, once you reach level 60.
New secondary profession (in other words, anyone can have it, doesn't count as one of the 2 main professions), archaeology.

pikeh

Resident Freddy

You get to roleplay with 12 year old Twilight fans!

Syri

FH is my second home
New features that everyone gets, Cataclysm or not:
New class/race combinations, such as Troll Druid, Night Elf Mage and more.
Completely re-worked 1-60 levelling experience, most zones and almost all quests completely re-done.
Level 1-60 instances revamped.
Fancy new water graphics.
Reforging available from an npc, to allow you to shift certain stats around on gear.

New features you need Cataclysm for:
Ability to play as Worgen for Alliance, and Goblin for Horde.
Level cap raised to 85.
New zones and instance dungeons for level 80 to 85.
Some new battlegrounds.
Ability to use flying mounts in the old world, once you reach level 60.
New secondary profession (in other words, anyone can have it, doesn't count as one of the 2 main professions), archaeology.

Completely forgot to add the new races and the new class/race combinations...

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Well, finally got to play WOW (yes, yes, 9 years late for the party I know)

Well....first impressions....I think its a very different game to DAOC

WOW is a much better PVE experience, DAOC is the game you play for PVP. PVE'ing in DAOC is just a means to get to 50 after which you pretty much have to go RVR otherwise what else is there to do? DF becomes boring after the umpteenth time of killing Inquisitors, the dragon can be killed easily with a Cabby & Buff Bot, ToA is unbelievably boring, etc OK Getting to 50 might be fun at first, but after X years of levelling toons in DAOC, its not much fun

DAOC is very detailed - eg templaces, resists, caps, etc, whereas WOW seems tobe dumbed down and they've gone for quick accessible playablity. With DAOC, to get anywhere in PVP, you've got to have a good template, know your character inside out, and every other character.

Visually: DAOC is more detailed, and although WOW character rendering is blocky & cartoony, you get used to them.

They're very different games IMO. I think they're geared to slightly different people. WOW is for pretty much anyone; DAOC for the much more serious technically-minded competitive RVR'er

In short: If you're a PVE'er, play WOW; if you're a serious RVR'er, play DAOC

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
can hear it's been a while since you've played daoc Lamp :)

imo pve in daoc has become a lot better

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Haven't been playing WOW long enough yet, but which game is bigger - zone wise.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Yep, at least up until level 56 (that's how far I've played). Just press 'M', and you realize how small the zones are.

xomer

Can't get enough of FH

WOW is a much better PVE experience, DAOC is the game you play for PVP. PVE'ing in DAOC is just a means to get to 50 after which you pretty much have to go RVR otherwise what else is there to do? DF becomes boring after the umpteenth time of killing Inquisitors, the dragon can be killed easily with a Cabby & Buff Bot, ToA is unbelievably boring, etc OK Getting to 50 might be fun at first, but after X years of levelling toons in DAOC, its not much fun

DAOC is very detailed - eg templaces, resists, caps, etc, whereas WOW seems tobe dumbed down and they've gone for quick accessible playablity. With DAOC, to get anywhere in PVP, you've got to have a good template, know your character inside out, and every other character.

Visually: DAOC is more detailed, and although WOW character rendering is blocky & cartoony, you get used to them.

They're very different games IMO. I think they're geared to slightly different people. WOW is for pretty much anyone; DAOC for the much more serious technically-minded competitive RVR'er

As Corn said, i think m8 that Daoc Pve is not as bad as so many people think.

I really believe that Toa is a wonderfull place with so many named mobs, different zones etc. :)

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Haven't been playing WOW long enough yet, but which game is bigger - zone wise.

How many zones a game has == how good the PvE is? no.

WoW is fun if you play the Private Servers with 20-50x XP so you can reach max level in a day or two but its still a massive boring quest grind :(

As Corn said, i think m8 that Daoc Pve is not as bad as so many people think.

I really believe that Toa is a wonderfull place with so many named mobs, different zones etc. :)

I agree, ToA and the Dragon zones are pretty fun :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
WoW is fun if you play the Private Servers with 20-50x XP so you can reach max level in a day or two but its still a massive boring quest grind :(

I always find this annoying. Why would you want to rush to 80?

Part of the fun is to learn your character, learn the skills, etc. Not to mention it hardly takes a week to 80 anyway :p

What Lamp said about "to be competant" is partly true, anyone at 80 can be part of the group, which is a really good thing - but to actually know what yoiu're doing is a different matter. It takes(as much as it can in an MMO :p) time to learn what works, what doesn't what to use and how to use your role in a group to true potential.

Lamp; I'm not sure which game is larger, but i can say that wow has one big advantage and that's that areas actually have a level of individuality ;)

Zede

Part of the furniture

Join the Warsong Gulch Battleground queue when your Xp'ing :) Dumbed down yes - and this is very recent. Prior to last month, WoW too had all the "resists, caps etc" you mention, but yer they just threw most of it out. So do quests & every 5 to 10 mins a pvp battleground will pop up :clap:

Everz

FH is my second home
ToA WAS a wonderful place, now it's just dumbed down beyond belief, it was a challenge before, who remembers highfiving strangers down the street when mad tales 3/3 droped eh? And the PvP is pretty similiar to WoW, alot of more 'insta i win' classes these days.

WoW PvE to lvl 80 is amazing fun, but once you get to the endgame it throughly disappointing, and as been said, you just end up in Dalaran jumping about and griefing some kids for laughs.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I always find this annoying. Why would you want to rush to 80?

Part of the fun is to learn your character, learn the skills, etc. Not to mention it hardly takes a week to 80 anyway :p

To see if the end game is any good? in WoW' case it is not at the moment though :( .

Seriously? hardly takes a week to get 80? so they have also dumbed down WoW now :( is there any game which is a challenge anymore?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ToA was not fun, hanging around for hours on end waiting for spawns, desperately trying to organise enough time to spend hour after hour completing master levels or farming scrolls, for someone like me with maybe 2-3 hours of game time max per night its not ideal :p

i liked the boats though, they were kinda cool

getting to max level isnt a race, enjoy the character, enjoy the random things you find, jump off cliffs, bridges (or whatever is left of them in Cata i havent explored too much yet) and see what you find at the bottom!

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I didn't have any problems with the character I played on the Instant 70 BG servers a few years back really, pretty easymode game :p

Everz

FH is my second home
ToA was not fun, hanging around for hours on end waiting for spawns, desperately trying to organise enough time to spend hour after hour completing master levels or farming scrolls, for someone like me with maybe 2-3 hours of game time max per night its not ideal :p

i liked the boats though, they were kinda cool

getting to max level isnt a race, enjoy the character, enjoy the random things you find, jump off cliffs, bridges (or whatever is left of them in Cata i havent explored too much yet) and see what you find at the bottom!

I enjoyed ToA OF tbh, NF was the clincher for me. Running around as the old watermonster morph as the don. Plus having the perfect farming team within guild, and the perfect person to show how (Calif, legend), ToA at that time was pretty enjoyable, and we got kited out with some ease tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom