Football World Cup 2010.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
once you start demanding replays from goals its only going to spread to other areas ie fouls throw ins corners etc replays is not the way forward

goal line tech would make the game more clinical and fair but who in there heart of hearts would have complained yesterday if the result had been in favour of england? if the germans had had that goal disallowed we would all have bowed our heads and said well thats just the way it is in football.

the issue is the officials im sorry but 3 officials "among the best in the world apparently due to them reffing the world cup" all happened to miss a perfectly clear goal the entire stadium saw it yet these 3 didnt doesnt that strike anyone as odd? something needs to happen across the reffing world to stop such travesties from happening better training or at least unbiased officials.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Whilst I agree with your view of Blatter, I still don't want goal line tec.

Human game, human mistakes. I'm happy with that.

I think you'll find that most are not, I also suspect the refs are feeling the same.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure about 442 with no really natural widemen. I just hope that this is the last game in an England shirt for Terry.

BBC are too funny. The whole "Gerrard will play in the hole" episode before the Slovenia game was one thing but the "which German players would you swap" yesterday saw them enter an entirely new realm of delusion.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think you'll find that most are not, I also suspect the refs are feeling the same.

I actually know a premier league ref. He doesn't want it.

The reason Blatter doesn't want it is because controversy's good for the game. It gets everyone talking and arguing about it - and if they're doing that they're not talking about cricket, handegg etc. etc.

I don't think going 2-2 would have made a difference yesterday anyway tbfh. I thought England were woeful all over the pitch...

Embattle

FH is my second home
I actually know a premier league ref. He doesn't want it.

The reason Blatter doesn't want it is because controversy's good for the game. It gets everyone talking and arguing about it - and if they're doing that they're not talking about cricket, handegg etc. etc.

I don't think going 2-2 would have made a difference yesterday anyway tbfh. I thought England were woeful all over the pitch...

Even if you could find more refs it doesn't change the simple fact most people want at the very least something done, the refs are showing just how crap they can be with two utterly horrible mistakes yesterday. Also if blatter does some how believe that then that is about as valid as nearly all the other reasons/excuses that get used against technology.

Not that I think it mattered that much.

PS - Makes interesting read - http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/ed...to-sepp-blatter-there-can-be-no-more-setbacks

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
once you start demanding replays from goals its only going to spread to other areas ie fouls throw ins corners etc replays is not the way forward

To be honest, Rugby copes just fine with video technology and nobody complains about the game being clinical or too technological.

In fact, you can even buy a special radio at 6 Nations games so you can listen to the radio link that the ref team have.

It's a great enhancement and it really adds to the game and helps prevent contentious issues from happening.

I can't say I would have a problem introducing a video referee into football.

goal line tech would make the game more clinical and fair but who in there heart of hearts would have complained yesterday if the result had been in favour of england?

I hear Geoff Hurst knows a thing or two about goals that never were. Perhaps the FA should offer him a consultancy role? ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I disagree with the article and the sentiments therein:

Sanctioning the use of technology for one purpose does not have to mean the beginning of involving technology for all contentious match decisions

Yes it does. It's the beginning of a slippery slope. As support for my point I don't have to look very far - it's in their own article:

Reluctance to use technology to determine absolutes has already proven to encourage more and more unfair play and deception within the game

Goal-line tech won't have an effect on unfair play or deception. However in their article they use the unfair play and deception argument because that's what supporters of technology want the technology for.

And once goal-line tec comes in then the argument for technological expansion becomes orders of magnitude easier.

I also disagree with this:

most people want at the very least something done

I think that most people are happy with football the way it is, but there's a very vocal minority that want it changing.

Bringing in technology means that never again would I feel the smug happiness that I feel when a goal is awarded that shouldn't have been. Never again would I feel outraged by a goal that wasn't given that should have been and had the corresponding drunken outrage with my mates down the pub in commiseration.

Yes, football may be "fairer" - but it'd be all the less fun because of it. Possibly even boring...

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well considering the tripe you posted about Liverpool FC last season and your general ability to take totally oppersite views to the bulk of people I kind of predicted what you would post in a reply to mine, happy to see what I guessed wasn't far out.

The idea that it is some sort of vocal minority who support doing something (extra linesmen, goal line tech, etc) to stop such silly decisions is almost laughable, the reality is you sit in the vocal minority so if it is your view then fine but don't try to paint it as any thing else.

You'll be no doubt happy to know I consider you a true Liverpool FC supporter.

PS I'm predicting the reply I'll get so let me say right now I've no intention of sitting here melting at the same time as trawling through all your previous posts to prove my point.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I don't want goal line/video replay technology at all, because then you get every decision being analysed. Ever freekick/throw in can potentially unfold into a goal scoring opportunity.

Mistakes happen and it's unfortunate but it does give people somethign to talk about.

Simple fact of the matter is even with the goal, Englands performance was absolute dire and the back four would still not have been capable of defending.

Fabio took players who were not playing regularly for their club team, he took players who were not in form, he took plaeyrs who were not fit and then he plays a handful of them out of position.

He went back on everything he said when he got the job in the first place!!!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The idea that it is some sort of vocal minority who support doing something (extra linesmen, goal line tech, etc) to stop such silly decisions is almost laughable, the reality is you sit in the vocal minority so if it is your view then fine but don't try to paint it as any thing else.

Poll tbfh.

I think it's a vocal minority. A few of my mates want it but most of them agree that it'd be to the detriment of the game...

Edit: And I fail to see what me being a Liverpool supporter's got to do with goal line tec old bean :p

:)

rynnor

Rockhound
I would like to see more technology used in football - not just as a result of yesterdays goal but from the premier league as well.

I find that bad reffing mistakes can really spoil the enjoyment of watching a game and surely that has to be one of FIFA's aims to make games enjoyable?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Looks like I'm getting spanked in the poll, Emb! You win! :)

I'm changing my view in light of new evidence:

Thought I'd never say this: thank god for Blatter! :eek:

I think video tec'll change footie in the same subtle sort of way that adding scores and achievements to online FPS's has changed FPS's. Everyone thought it was a good idea, but it wasn't.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
In other news: David Blaine's lawyers are presently checking if his record of doing nothing in a box for 44 days has been inadvertently broken by Wayne Rooney ;)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Referees will still hve to interpret what they see on video replays, so th controversy will still always be there.

It just seems ridiculous that such things can happen in a multi billion pound industry. Especially when you consider that one wrong decision by a referee (not necessarily their fault) can be the difference between a club winning a title, or being relegated and spiralling into financial difficulty that will ultimately leave people out of work.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That was shocking. Too many players picked just because they play for the right clubs. To be fair Lampard came to life in this game, but was hopeless in the rest of our games.

Lampard was told to sit in previous games, he was quite clearly supporting Barry more. Now in this game he was great when going forward with the ball, but he was awful at supporting Barry. We were massively exposed in the middle of midfield because of this.

I think video tec'll change footie in the same subtle sort of way that adding scores and achievements to online FPS's has changed FPS's. Everyone thought it was a good idea, but it wasn't.

As megadave said, even with a video replay the interpretation will still be down to the ref. Personally I think we only need goal line tech for now.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Anything other than goal line tech would slow down the game. Just look at tennis.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Get in you Dutchies! My Spain v. Holland final prediction is still on.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
You should be in Breda right now... its crazzzyyyyyyy here!!

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Lampard was told to sit in previous games, he was quite clearly supporting Barry more. Now in this game he was great when going forward with the ball, but he was awful at supporting Barry. We were massively exposed in the middle of midfield because of this.

It was clearly the tactics that the team were sent out to play with. Even Barry was coming forward into advanced positions and both wide players were moving infield a lot.

Horrid tactics, but the performance of so many England players was dire from the get-go.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Holland through \o/

Uruguay through \o/

Suarez = hero \o/

Suarez not able to play against the country he plays in :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
He cheated and got sent off for it.

It's not his fault Ghana then choked hard style. They had their chance.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
So I wanted Germany to get pumped and who better to do it than the Argies.. or so I thought. I switched on BBC HD to watch the football, but I must have switched onto channel LAWL WTF?!!

:(

Jesus mother fucker, what happened?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Get in ze Germans, great result. Best team by miles won that game. They deserve the cup on those last two games alone.

Germany V Spain (well, let's face it, Paraguay will need a miracle), will be a great game.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Is Messi still considered to be the greatest footballer to have ever drawn breath? Or do greatest ever footballers not play in teams that get smacked 4-0 and don't look like they know how to control a ball at times?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
True, but this type of gamesmanship is despicable.

Not really, heat of the moment on the line, any player would do that. And that player will be a hero in their country. All the pundits who are ex players have said they would have done it.

It's not despicable at all, it would have been had it not been spotted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom