Windows 10 again

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Is the Win10 update supposed to appear on Win7 as well as Win8?

Yep. Mine's due to appear the 29th of July. Have Windows Ultimate 64bit or some such. Got a message a month or two back saying i were to enter my e-mail and some other details, now there's a small icon in the down right taskbar.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Will it get rid of that stupid fucking icon desktop thing and that charms crap? Can I have a proper start menu back (I have a 3rd party start menu but I'd prefer a Microsoft one)?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Will it get rid of that stupid fucking icon desktop thing and that charms crap? Can I have a proper start menu back (I have a 3rd party start menu but I'd prefer a Microsoft one)?
Yep :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You get the choice at installation, an AIDs version for tablets or a normal version.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Also if you wanna get your install on, but windows isnt giving you the option, start command prompt as admin and enter:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Should work if you're up to date. ( go to windows update after, you'll see it's downloading ).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Ah fair enough, didnt effect me either way as I use wired connections on my entire network, my routers wireless is disabled. Installing it now anyway, hopefully its not totally fucked and not needing a shit load of patches :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Also if you wanna get your install on, but windows isnt giving you the option, start command prompt as admin and enter:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Thanks. The icon has actually disappeared off my win7 laptop (though windows update still says reserved). I'll be taking the plunge on my main PC any minute now :)

As for the wifi thing - it shares *encrypted* passwords - so I don't really see a problem...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Will do it at the weekend I think.

Does it let you create an ISO or USB stick installation tool?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have the Enterprise ISO now. My work Laptop will be getting a taste of it at lunch time.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I have the Enterprise ISO now. My work Laptop will be getting a taste of it at lunch time.
My PC's don't seem to want to download and update it for whatever reason :(

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
you know its a soft roll out dont you scouse? so the servers dont get hammered not sure of the timescale of it tho

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
My PC's don't seem to want to download and update it for whatever reason :(
You can force it with this. I do wish they'd just give a direct link to an iso though. I've got a linux box sitting on a stupid fast connection that would take literally minutes to download it but no, I have to struggle along at 100KB/s at home.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You can force it with this. I do wish they'd just give a direct link to an iso though. I've got a linux box sitting on a stupid fast connection that would take literally minutes to download it but no, I have to struggle along at 100KB/s at home.
A mate on FB posted a screenie of his PC upgrading then his mate posted this -

11781614_10152899603670933_2276490573330869133_n.jpg

So can you just get the ISO or not? Or has he just bought it or something?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That looks shady to be honest. Official Windows ISO file names don't look like that at all.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
[QUOTE="Trem, post: 4059988, member: 77"So can you just get the ISO or not?[/QUOTE]
Run the tool @caLLous posted a link to - you can create installation media or run the upgrade directly. I'm running it now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Working on my main PC now. Resolution was weirdly set way too high at startup - which is a bit of a fail tbh.

Seems slightly more responsive. I'll just have to get used to it I guess. The real performace test will be my netbook as it's running like a dog.

soze

I am a FH squatter
That looks shady to be honest. Official Windows ISO file names don't look like that at all.
Yeah the one I have is SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_10_64BIT..... so I would expect the same with HOME or PRO.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Mine is en_windows_8_1_pro_vl_x64_dvd_2971948.iso

You need to run the upgrade process from windows to "upgrade" your serial key, you apparently cant just do a clean install and put your existing key in that.
ie, mount the iso on a usb drive, and run from inside windows, dont try and reboot and install by booting from the usb drive.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Anyone know if it resets the re-use quantity of your key?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!

The guy said this - "I have access to action pack and I'm on the insider program so you can download it from there."

soze

I am a FH squatter
So I was just watching a video on YouTube on my new Windows 10 Laptop when it froze. A nice little window popped up telling me Firefox had frozen and let me press end process. This is where it all ended. Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing. Windows Key nothing. Right Click on the Task Bar and Start Task Manager nothing. So I did the only thing I could a nice power button press. And now after a restart I have a lovely "Operating System not found" message. What a excellent start.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Update. My SSD is now brown bread. Tested in that laptop and my desktop so it looks like it might be bad timing and hardware failure.

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Possible boot record problem? Try fixing the MBR from recovery tools ( advanced options on any windows install media, you can google the rest ).
Happened to me once or twice on installs. ( not w10, earlier os versions ).

soze

I am a FH squatter
Possible boot record problem? Try fixing the MBR from recovery tools ( advanced options on any windows install media, you can google the rest ).
Happened to me once or twice on installs. ( not w10, earlier os versions ).
Unfortunately the SSD is totally gone. BIOS does not even see it in any of the machine I have access too. The laptop is only about 2 years old so I am surprised that it has died but it is not even showing up as being plugged in.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Unfortunately the SSD is totally gone. BIOS does not even see it in any of the machine I have access too. The laptop is only about 2 years old so I am surprised that it has died but it is not even showing up as being plugged in.
Hardware failure. Harsh.

That's the problem with SSD's. They just go. You don't ever get the ticking that some hdd's do before they're about to flop :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom