Windows 10 again

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't know :)

I'd uninstall the relevant update, reboot and reinstall. Maybe it'll work after the initial glut of upgraders. If it's a common occurance there'll be a patch...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Is the Win10 update supposed to appear on Win7 as well as Win8?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
It's come up on my two win7s and my 8.1 laptop.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Is the Win10 update supposed to appear on Win7 as well as Win8?
I've had it for weeks on my Win 7 Pro boxes. The genuine one and a slightly naughtier one as well.
Certain window 7's, the expensive one's.

All of them apart from Enterprise I think. They have a FAQ here which says that Win 7 Starter and Home Basic/Premium go up to Win 10 Home and Win 7 Pro and Ultimate go up to Win 10 Pro.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah had it a while on my win7 pro PC. Wife has had it on her Win 8 laptop for a week or so (no idea what version of win8 it is, using the piece of shit brings me out in hives)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Hmm, got it on my win8 lappy, but not on either of the win7 desktops. Curious

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Do I want Win 10?
I hate being early adopter of new operating systems. It could be a clusterfuck for drivers etc.

Syri

FH is my second home
Do I want Win 10?
I hate being early adopter of new operating systems. It could be a clusterfuck for drivers etc.
I think if you're using windows 8, without a touch screen, the answer is YES!. Windows 7, maybe wait a bit, or pop down to your local PC shop after launch day and try it out on some PCs, see if you like it.
As for stability, it's been available for public testing for quite a while, so there's been a lot of chances for people to make things work with it. It's also built from windows 8.1's core parts, so in theory, most things made for windows 8 should work fine with it, though I'm sure the big tech companies will have new drivers ready to go on launch day anyway, which they'll have been testing and working on for a while with the preview releases.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I'm on Win7 pro. I actually like change if it's for the better. Enjoy finding out how new stuff works and poking around under the bonnet a bit. I'll not be using touch screen, or a Windows phone though.
It's just the driver issue and maybe some software compatibility issues that I would rather be somebody else's problem :)

Think like you say I'll hang on a month or so. The nag screen has been pissing me off though :mad:. Finally reserved in the hope it will go away. No doubt will get another "install it now" nag screen soon.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'll do the upgrade then a fresh install, once I've backed up what I need to.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I heard it stream lines dx 11 or something so you should get a few more fps out of your games. Donno how true that is

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I didn't know updates would be mandatory. I guess it's good to keep everybody on the same page but you literally can't not install updates (unless you use Enterprise).

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The MS Website says this if you don't get the notification thing:

You can reserve your upgrade at any time on any compatible PC by clicking on the Get Windows 10 app or the Windows Update control panel.

No idea if that works as all the PC's i know have got the notification

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I just hope the process of keeping your Windows valid if you change the underlying hardware is good to go from the start. I'm planning to change motherboard/cpu/ram about 2 days after upgrading to WIn10. The way I see it I can either upgrade the hardware then reinstall Windows 7 and then go up to 10 or upgrade to 10 on the existing hardware and then hope the phone call verification thing goes according to plan.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I reckon there'll be an iso released after launch sometime so you can do an upgrade that way. It's in Microsoft's interests to cover all bases after all.

Two days to go. I'll prolly upgrade my main PC on day 1 just for shits and giggles :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Going to do mine at the weekend I think. Also a little worried about the authentication thing, I had to phone up last time to get win7 sorted out. It would be nice if they reset it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom