Books Whats everyone reading atm?

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Just finished this

cover_uk.jpg

I recently tore through this and the sequel in about a month. I really enjoyed both.

You should give the Locke Lamora books a try.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Just finished all the Discworld books about the city watch.

<3 Detritus.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Book 11 of the WoT series. Since I now have all of them, when I finish this one I will be reading a WoT book I have not read yet for the first time in years. Woot :D

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Call me a nerd but I just read On the Origin of Species.
I've read most of Dawkins' books, even recommended The Selfish Gene on this thread a while back, but it's a revelation going back to the original source. Darwin's intellect reaches through time from 150 years ago and just relentlessly hammers you. It's amazing how modern the language is also.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Currently not reading anything because i lost my book on a plane :(
As soon as i get the book again (on Friday) i will start to reread The Painted man, Desert spear and then finally The daylight war. (Peter V. Brett).

Also, if any of you haven't read them yet. The Locke Lamora series are freeking awesome. Looking forward to The republic of thieves.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Currently reading:

127455.jpg

It's very good but not as much as the hype machine would suggest.

Edit: didn't read all the other recommendations for this book until I had already posted :)

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I really enjoyed this but the sequel was a mostly a repeat of the first followed by him losing his virginity. It was still fairly enjoyable though.
I thought they were both decent. The character of Kvothe can be a bit infuriating though. Somehow he seems to oscillate between annoyingly superior and hopelessly stupid.

I really loved The Lies of Locke Lamora though, and thought the second in the series (Red seas under red skies) was great as well. The third (which took a bloody log time to come out after the author had to deal with a bad bout of depression) was good, but took a very weird turn at the end that I still haven't decided how I feel about.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I'm currently about 60-70 pages into The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

Decent so far, but I'll have to get further in before making a judgement.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
I'm about to re-read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and Fitz and the Fool Trilogy in anticipation of her release of a new book continuing the story which is due out in the next couple of months.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Best fantasy I've read in years. Reminds me of K.J.Parker with it's very dark humour, brutal precision and the completely amoral but logical voice of its main character.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Was that the free one for world book night from Amazon? I picked Berlin Game, not started it yet because I'm still reading Lexicon, which is excellent.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it's hard though. if you stuffed GRRM with crack, injected caffeine directly in to his eyeballs, and electrified his fave writing chair I'd still read about a billion times faster than he produces (not judging, just saying)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Listening to an audiobook of:
9780312863555.jpg
And just read:
1408167.jpg

Both of which are ace. Robert A Heinlein and Alfred Bester. Golden Age Sci-Fi. For. The. Win :)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Best fantasy I've read in years. Reminds me of K.J.Parker with it's very dark humour, brutal precision and the completely amoral but logical voice of its main character.

Enjoyed the Prince of Thorns, starting on the King of Thorns next. Very much like K.J.Parker.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Need some ideas. For the first time in years I have nothing in my Amazon wish list. No fantasy please. I do read some, but I'm pretty picky about it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Need some ideas.

Other than the two above, how about:

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A Heinlein. (You'll love it when you get it)
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut (You'll read it in chunks laughing, then get to a bit and go "aaaand that's enough for today")
Battlefield Earth - L Ron Hubbard (Shit film. Good book that gets better as it goes on. Worth it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom