Books Whats everyone reading atm?

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Proper science fiction, as in it has lots of bold ideas and follows them through. Though the conceit of a language where gender is irrelevant and everyone is call 'she' is very confusing.
Fab sci-fi. I've got the sequel but haven't started it yet, read some things suggesting it might be a bit boring, focusing on some obscure agricultural planet.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Why does E=[MC]2 (and why should we care)

- Prof Brian Cox.

Also just finished "a brief history of time" - Stephen hawking.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
The last year I've been working through the Samual Johnson prizewinners.
So far, without exception they have been fantastic, probably the best books I've ever read.

better angels.jpg

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Fab sci-fi. I've got the sequel but haven't started it yet, read some things suggesting it might be a bit boring, focusing on some obscure agricultural planet.

I've read the sequel and I can certainly understand that criticism. It's still very well written but certainly feels like a bit of a filler until a strongly hinted at follow-up. Unlike the first novel it's almost all politics and there's no real action until the very end, and even that is small scale.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Proper science fiction, as in it has lots of bold ideas and follows them through. Though the conceit of a language where gender is irrelevant and everyone is call 'she' is very confusing.

View attachment 23440

may have to read that. I just got the Wool trilogy in. I shall start that tonight! :)

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Reading Raising Steam, which seems somewhat appropriate as it's been the first "proper" book I've been able to pick up and read since I got out of hospital.

leggy

Probably Scottish
may have to read that. I just got the Wool trilogy in. I shall start that tonight! :)
Have you started it yet?

I have to admit that it slowed down quite dramatically after the first bombshell but it does pick up again and in good style.

TdC

I've started. I'm at the point where

Juliette has just spoken to Bernard from the other silo.

Currently liking things.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
9788466649179.jpg

Since it's a story about very old school gaming and MMO's it should appeal to pretty much everyone here.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nerdy, Shy and Socially Inappropriate, cynthia kim. Good book about aspergers
Reasons to stay alive, matt haig. Great book about depression
The Skin Collector, Jeffery Deaver. Love his Lincoln Ryme novels.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I can imagine that. Listened to an audiobook tho - was *really* good.
It's growing on me, had to put it down as I was slammed at work, once you get used to the fictional grammar and slang, it's pretty good. The story is awesome!

leggy

Probably Scottish
@TdC Have you finished the Wool trilogy yet?

I agree with your score of the first book but am struggling to stay interested with the second. The twist was fairly obvious and it's a nice perspective for the trilogy but I'm finding the plot a bit tedious. I really don't want to give up on another book! :)

TdC

Sorry chumlar, not had time to continue as yet :(

SilverHood

FH is my second home
So I just ordered Marko Kloos Frontline series on a whim. Should be interesting!

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Haven't had time to sit down and read a book since last summer.. And even then, with a six months old baby to look after, it was hard enough to find the time

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Flash and bones by kathy reichs

I like murder and crime with foresnics.

I also like greusome murder like karon slaughter writes.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Don't know if it's been mentioned previously in this thread and I cba looking.
However The Martian by Andy Weir is brilliant. After reading (listening to) it I knew that it had to become a movie, and it is, release date November 2015. Seriously, go and read it..

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Don't know if it's been mentioned previously in this thread and I cba looking.
However The Martian by Andy Weir is brilliant. After reading (listening to) it I knew that it had to become a movie, and it is, release date November 2015. Seriously, go and read it..
It's excellent isn't it. I read it last year just because somewhere was giving it away as a free ebook and I really enjoyed it and thought the central character was brilliant and really pulled you in to his travails. Definitely recommend it

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
It's excellent isn't it. I read it last year just because somewhere was giving it away as a free ebook and I really enjoyed it and thought the central character was brilliant and really pulled you in to his travails. Definitely recommend it

It was 2 years ago in fact how time flies!!

TdC

Mr Jack Vance's Tschai - Planet of Adventure

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The new Neal Stephenson, Seveneves. Got to be honest I'm not really getting into it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I try to love Neal Stephenson as I like the concepts in his books. I just never find myself bonding with his stories or characters and am left feeling a bit empty at the end of his books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom