Books Whats everyone reading atm?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Other than the two above, how about:

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A Heinlein. (You'll love it when you get it)
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut (You'll read it in chunks laughing, then get to a bit and go "aaaand that's enough for today")
Battlefield Earth - L Ron Hubbard (Shit film. Good book that gets better as it goes on. Worth it)

Read, Read and Read.

leggy

Probably Scottish
40992.jpg

Oh and @DaGaffer, that's a recommendation too. It's SF but different from what I've read in the past. If you loved The Stars my Destination, I'm sure you'll like it. Even though it shares absolutely nothing in common. Other than being astoundingly well written.

There are 4 books though and this compilation is the first 2. I believe the first book - 'Shadow of the Torturer' - is decent as a stand alone effort.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Read, Read and Read.

And the two above?

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is just about the perfect human story.
The Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson - starting with Red Mars.

I think you've read all the Iain M Banks stuff haven't you. I know it strays into fantasy but how about A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I quite enjoyed it and I'm not a massive fantasy fan :)

Edit: I'd be remiss if I didn't say Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury.

DaGaffer

40992.jpg

Oh and @DaGaffer, that's a recommendation too. It's SF but different from what I've read in the past. If you loved The Stars my Destination, I'm sure you'll like it. Even though it shares absolutely nothing in common. Other than being astoundingly well written.

There are 4 books though and this compilation is the first 2. I believe the first book - 'Shadow of the Torturer' - is decent as a stand alone effort.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

And the two above?

I've read everything Heinlein and Bester have ever written Tbh I've read most of the classic SF, but I increasingly don't have much of a frame of reference for new authors, and Amazon isn't really helping. I think the last "new" SF author I got into was probably Charles Stross or Alastair Reynolds, and that was ages ago.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is just about the perfect human story.
The Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson - starting with Red Mars.

I think you've read all the Iain M Banks stuff haven't you. I know it strays into fantasy but how about A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I quite enjoyed it and I'm not a massive fantasy fan :)
Edit: I'd be remiss if I didn't say Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Read, and...read (although I have to admit I fought my way through the Mars trilogy. I find Kim Stanley Robinson a bit dry). I read some Burroughs a long long time ago (and I think I'm one of the few people who enjoyed John Carter) so it might be worth a look. On the other hand I might just re-read Cryptonomicon as my standard fall-back novel, or go and check out the history shelves.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I find Kim Stanley Robinson a bit dry

Yeah...But it was still worth the effort.

I read some Burroughs a long long time ago (and I think I'm one of the few people who enjoyed John Carter)

It's why I read it. It's better than John Carter btw.

Farenheight 451 if you've not read that. Or get yourself a subscription to 2000AD ;)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Currently working my way through Portnoy's Complaint by Phillip Roth. It's *ok* I'm probably missing the shock factor around the masturbation and other such stuff but considering I've been told that it's a classic I'm not too impressed. His style isn't bad, so I'd be interested in read more from him but I'm expecting it to be better than this.

Chosen

Resident Freddy

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Reading Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson... been so long since I read complex stories, hard to keep track of who everyone is, but still very good.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Am finally reading Twilight. It is so much better than the film. Those people are painfully miscast.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Finishing of the Robert Langdon series of books by Dan Brown - which started off with the Da Vinci Code (film with Tom Hanks) now halfway through the latest book "Inferno".

DaGaffer

Currently reading
20821159.jpg

Its not holding my attention the way his stuff usually does.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Finished the Southern Reach series recently. It's like a cross between the environments of Stalker & Solaris relocated to an isolated American coastal region. I'm not sure I liked all of it, the later two books dragged on slightly too long and probably should have been compressed into one novel. However the series as a whole, especially the first book, certainly knew how to generate an incredibly creepy atmosphere with everyone lost in a strange world of paranoia and genuine weirdness.

southern-reach.jpg

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I started reading The Moon is Harsh Mistress, but finding it fairly tough going.

I bought some airport sci-fi at the end of last year when I had a lot of trips:
Nova War (The Shoal Sequence) by Gary Gibson. It's kind of weird, the writing could be better, but still OK sci-fi.
The Risen Empire (Succession) by Scott Westerfield. I particularly liked the explanations behind the science.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy again as I haven't read it for over ten years. and got all three for 99p each recently.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Reading Stephen King's The stand at the moment, the extended edition. It's good, it sucks you in but 'effin hell it's a long book. Clocks in at around 1100 pages.
Saw the TV series years and years ago and don't remember anything except that i really enjoyed it.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Napoleon the Great by Andrew Roberts. Enjoying it so far, very good look at his life and influence on Europe.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Proper science fiction, as in it has lots of bold ideas and follows them through. Though the conceit of a language where gender is irrelevant and everyone is call 'she' is very confusing.

aj_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom