Scenario Hotfix didn't fix what it's meant to fix!

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
TBH why do scenarios count towars locking a zone anyway? Personally I think it sould be based on keep and BO ownership only, that would encourage more ORVR.

Well I agree with that, was just pointing out the simple fix may break as much as it fixes without a wider overhaul of the rvr/vp system.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
One for nic to put forward then. Ever since it was explained to me I've thought it was a stupid idea. When our guild was still active on axe bite pass a few of us once joined forces with another wb and stormed the tier 2 empire/chaos zone. We captured everything, yet still fell short of locking the area by quite a large margin.

Whoever thought of that idea wants to be put in a room with whoever thought it would be a good idea to share inf between groups and thus making it quicker to solo grind the first stage of PQs instead of grouping together and completing them. Then they should fight to the death and the winner gets to work for Blizzard.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
TBH why do scenarios count towars locking a zone anyway? Personally I think it sould be based on keep and BO ownership only, that would encourage more ORVR.

that seems like a very nice idea tbh.

i`m trying to think about unforseen implications and stuff, but i can`t think of anything serious about that mechanic now. the idea certainly deserves some more thought.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
A very good point. Why should achievements in a non-persistent environment affect the progress of the persistant game world? Make victory points available ONLY from persistent world achievements?

okay the reason that scenarios count is very simple. If you are a player who doesn't have alot of time, then you can join a scenario, play for 15 minutes log and still contribute to the war effort. This whole mechanism supports those players. Strangely hunting around for abit of ORVR and booom there goes your 15 minutes.

Once mythic added scenarios to the game, then not to include them within the war effort mechanism would have be stupid. Since if you want to something that is used, then you need to bind them into the whole. Why do you think Blizzard made tokens for armour/weapons in their Scenarios come from all there BGs. Because they wanted them all used, even the dreaded Warsong Gulch, the bane of any sensible human being.

Scenario's are great, are well implemented bar their bugs and the strange queueing mechanism, which one day in the far distant future will be fixed. I peronally get to PVE, jump into a Scenario, PVE and still feel I am doing my little bit for my side ;) Blizzard are reputed to be looking at grabbing the whole concept of joining a BG from anywhere. Problem is with Blizzard, is they will do a very good job and people will forget it originated in Warhammer.

I do remember quite a few threads in DAOC days, where it would be mused that Scenarios would be great for 8 vs 8 groups to bugger off to, to go head to head and test there Skillzors (Hope thats correct).

The only problem with scenarios is there impact is greater than intended from a leveling perspective, and it just wasn't highlighted in BETA, since the intensive leveling via Scenarios just didnt happen.

dee777

Loyal Freddie
Of course ex-DAoCers prefer oRvR to decide about zone ownership. However ex-WoWers are likely to prefer scenarios. Why should one playstyle be prefered over the other? From a reasonable and from a marketing point of view?

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
I agree about people on a limited play time. So why can't something else be put into oRvR for them to do? Like loads of smaller BO's in the higher tiers? More contribution from locked zones in lower tiers? The problem with scenarios and how they affect victory points at the moment is that they are very open to manipulation in one way or another.

00dave

Once mythic added scenarios to the game, then not to include them within the war effort mechanism would have be stupid.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. People use scenarios as a way of gaining quick and easy RP and XP not to capture zones, I don't think anybody joins a scenario in the hopes that the outcome will determine the ownership of the zone they're in. That's why you see more than enough level x2 and x3 guys joining the battle even though the first x0 or x1 will flatten them without effort.

Perhaps the answer would be to limit the scenarios effect on zone control. or at least give some sort of gauge to tell us what effect a scenario played had on the zone control. Too much guess work in this game sometimes. The zone control gauge is pathetic in itself, it should have numbers on there at the very least in % form. I can imagine more than once guildies asking each other how much left until the zone is locked, and the reply being something like "about half an inch."

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sorry but I don't agree. People use scenarios as a way of gaining quick and easy RP and XP not to capture zones

This is rather a sweeping statement. However in part I am sure it is true, but you have included me in that statement and my motivations are certainly not that. Maybe if you quantify it with "Some people", it will a more representative statement.

You need to look outside of what you experience and see the bigger picture. Mythic recongise that peoples playstyles and times are vastly different. If you can sit down for 1,2,3+ hours at time, then you can absorb the cost of 15/20 mins to get into some ORVR. However those times are propabably not representative of alot of people.

I enjoy scenarios as a good way to break up the PVE. The mix up the whole experience of leveling. They allow me, to contribute to the effort with my infrequent play time.

If Warhammer had had no Scenarios it would have got a slating. Scenarios are in, for better or worse and I don't expect them to change. If I am wrong, you can happily point me at this last paragraph.

Think outside your own playstyles and think about the mass market.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah while I agree that it would be better if there was more orvr, I don't think scenarios should be nerfed because without them I doubt I would play this game as much because pve leveling is boring as hell: I need something to break that experience up with, such as scenarios.

J

Jenk

Perhaps the quests that say "Complete 'x' scenario" are the problem.. I'm always getting the same ones when I take those quests, so I join those quests and not join all.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Perhaps the quests that say "Complete 'x' scenario" are the problem.. I'm always getting the same ones when I take those quests, so I join those quests and not join all.

:iagree: It should be 'Complete a scenario'.

00dave

This is rather a sweeping statement. However in part I am sure it is true, but you have included me in that statement and my motivations are certainly not that. Maybe if you quantify it with "Some people", it will a more representative statement.

You need to look outside of what you experience and see the bigger picture. Mythic recongise that peoples playstyles and times are vastly different. If you can sit down for 1,2,3+ hours at time, then you can absorb the cost of 15/20 mins to get into some ORVR. However those times are propabably not representative of alot of people.

I enjoy scenarios as a good way to break up the PVE. The mix up the whole experience of leveling. They allow me, to contribute to the effort with my infrequent play time.

If Warhammer had had no Scenarios it would have got a slating. Scenarios are in, for better or worse and I don't expect them to change. If I am wrong, you can happily point me at this last paragraph.

Think outside your own playstyles and think about the mass market.

Ok then tell me you would still play scenarios if there was no personal gain from them, no RP no XP just an unknown contribution towards controlling an area. Because if you would then you'd be waiting a long time for a scenario. I do look out of my own play style and I see lots of people wanting to grind their way to the top, when I personally want to enjoy the game.

And at no point did I mention getting rid of scenarios, keep them by all means but either get rid of the contributions towards zone captures and use them as a way of gaining rp and xp for casual players or give us some way of recognising what we've done in reguards to capturing a zone, something like you have lost/gained xxx points out of xxxxxxx for capturing this zone.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Most folk do play scenarios fo rp and exp . I think to think otherwise is deluding oneself.

Removing the scenarios and leaving oRvR would result in the rediculous farce daoc became with set group meeting set group. Strictly Come oRvR Dancing anyone?
The casual gamer would get excluded from having fun which is what the games about.

If people dont like scenarios dont do them. If they like them thats fine do them. TBH theres so many of you moaning about them i dont understand why open rvr lakes aren swarming with you all fighting all the time while casual gamers etc are in the scenarios. Unless youre waiting for Mr and Mrs Casual to enter oRvR for some easy kills?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom