Warlocks

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Equendil said:
Probably not, maybe people drop dead to the smell, but the more you brag about it, the less I feel impressed already :eek:

Tbh, you know full well what you could do with 6 instas and an anytime 100% MoC+lifetap that hits harder than your spec DD and casts much faster as well.
I never said I doubted that wizards in anyway were worse than my RM nor saying they are not overpowered, on the contuary I said they were freekishly overpowered. However what I did say and still stand for is that movie didn't show any of the overpoweredness of the warlock. It was a good situation with a few bad playing enemies. It could have been done with a RM and other casters faster and better than he did on the movie.

And fyi I was not trying to brag nor is it in my interest to make you impressed. My server mates who mentioned me in the "The best of 2004"-thread is enough for me :>

Equendil

Fledgling Freddie
Zebolt said:
I never said I doubted that wizards Equendil: Warlock in anyway were worse than my RM nor saying they are not overpowered, on the contuary I said they were freekishly overpowered. However what I did say and still stand for is that movie didn't show any of the overpoweredness of the warlock. It was a good situation with a few bad playing enemies. It could have been done with a RM and other casters faster and better than he did on the movie.

Well, you can see two things in that movie, the first is that at no point did the warlock do anything but stand still and 'cast' stuff through interrupts (caused by insta dot, insta lifetap from reaver and then arrows from scout), no RAs/MLs involved, and the second is the speed of that lifetap that killed the scout. There's a third thing you don't see in that movie that the warlock in question commented on and that's the only reason he died to the minstrel was that a bug prevented him from casting more lifetaps (he got interrupted while loading a chambers then the engine was stuck in chamber loading mode and he couldn't get off any spell). I can't see him using his third chamber either so I guess he only had two out of three loaded at the beginning of the movie.

That said, no, the movie is not especially impressive if your idea of impressive is a caster killing a shitload of stuff as fast as possible. I do think it gives a good idea of what it is a warlock actually does in a totally casual way however.

Fact remains *any* other caster but BDs would have had to deal with interrupts in a way or another, that didn't so much as disturb that warlock.

Illtar

Fledgling Freddie
i dont really think you can get a delve 225 lifetap, if you want to get any decent chambers and primers, might be wrong, they could have changed it. also the cursing spells will have huge variance.

But tbh hibs can just QC stun like they use to, and win.

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
OR, we could wait and see for ourselves instead of letting yankee chickens run around screaming

Cracked

Fledgling Freddie
Ofc it will be nerfed, we are talking about a Mid class here.

And ofc Alb's don't need a phat nerf, no sire, not at all. No class in Albion is overpowered what so ever.

Marath

Fledgling Freddie
Lol from start of casting it took 10sec for the reaver to die. Thinking that it takes 3-5nukes from casters to kill 2k hp tank now without resist buffs thats really slow. Also having different damagetype on warlocks prolly helps a lot as most people have under 10% matter resists atm.

Been that same caster a chanter you would have seen stun debuff nuke nuke nuke nuke. Archers eaten qc stun debuff and nukes. Or a sorc/sm lifetapping em to pieces. Really dont see whats so op about warlocks... atleast from that movie.

Equendil

Fledgling Freddie
Marath said:
Lol from start of casting it took 10sec for the reaver to die. Thinking that it takes 3-5nukes from casters to kill 2k hp tank now without resist buffs thats really slow. Also having different damagetype on warlocks prolly helps a lot as most people have under 10% matter resists atm.

Try 5s and reaver was lucky to resist one spell and land slam before a second uninterruptable lifetap hit him, not that it saved him.

Been that same caster a chanter you would have seen stun debuff nuke nuke nuke nuke. Archers eaten qc stun debuff and nukes. Or a sorc/sm lifetapping em to pieces. Really dont see whats so op about warlocks... atleast from that movie.

Or more like, stun or QC stun due to first reaver insta, reaver purges, chanter interrupted again by second reaver insta, then whatever with a high chance your average chanter would have died in the process once the scout popped ... Regular casters *do* have to deal with interrupts, stun is nice and all til it's purged, MoC lifetap is overpowered and all only a sorc/SM with same rank as that warlock most likely wouldn't have had MoC3, and MoC3 is on a timer, and MoC3+lifetap would have half the dps of the warlock lifetapping, etc.

Yes, that reaver could have died to another caster in multiple ways, reavers are by no means invincible, however trying to portray this warlock as equivalent to yet another caster is very shortshighted. Sheesh, that warlock could have just as well hit uninterruptable lifetaps and killed that reaver in under 3s like he did with the scout, only reason he didn't I expect being that he'd rather use insta chambers then reload them than blowing half a power bar away.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
on pendragon the best way to deal with a warlock was to get a scout... and attack from outside bolt range (that way they have to use a long range cast to nearsight you - not gonna happen if they're interrupted - can't quickcast an extended range primer)

I imagine the cast time on their uninterruptable might well get changed if they prove too powerful.

Cyfr

Banned
Theres no way on gods earth that the uninteruptable could ever be powerfull. The amount of power it uses is crazy :D
I'm in thid and can usualy only get 1 uninteruptable off, as im not always on 100% power in fights ;)

The weakness of warlocks is undoubtably the slow casting time. The amount of times people have simply run behind objects so i've not got my spells off, I can't count :p

I've had people just run away from me, I'd still be in range to nuke, stun, root as a normal caster, but as a Warlock I simply can't cast as by the time the spell is off they have long since escaped :p. (Providing I dont have a snare chamber up, but at level 22 I only have 1 chamber and need it for main damage really..)

iziz

Loyal Freddie
Cyfr said:
Theres no way on gods earth that the uninteruptable could ever be powerfull. The amount of power it uses is crazy :D
I'm in thid and can usualy only get 1 uninteruptable off, as im not always on 100% power in fights ;)

The weakness of warlocks is undoubtably the slow casting time. The amount of times people have simply run behind objects so i've not got my spells off, I can't count :p

I've had people just run away from me, I'd still be in range to nuke, stun, root as a normal caster, but as a Warlock I simply can't cast as by the time the spell is off they have long since escaped :p. (Providing I dont have a snare chamber up, but at level 22 I only have 1 chamber and need it for main damage really..)

You're running around ... you see a guy with a floating ball over his head. He's a caster, he'll be easy, and he only has 1 chamber up. Why not! You start to run ... sprint ... with speed ... BAM! You're hit by a DD for 120ish. Not a problem. No ... wait ... what's that? The caster laughs at you, turns around and sprints off. Why? That 80-100 tick a dot that lasts for 32 seconds. Even more so if wild power hits too. So that's 760-920+ damage from a single 2 second uninterruptable cast.

Did I mention that can come from a level 22 caster in thid? Unless you're the right class you will die, simple as that.

The sheer amount by which warlocks can front load their damage, and then continue to dish it out, albeit at a slower cast time (at that level) is just silly. I can't speak for the high levels yet, as I haven't gotten anywhere near them yet, but if it continues along the same lines, which it looks like it does, I can see where the whines come from.

As for the other classes (at thid level):

Heretic: looks extremely good fun from what I've seen of them. Between their healing, DD, DD focus snare and decent survivability with the ability to do a bit of damage in melee, they seem a very group friendly utility class. The focus snare rocks.

Valk: haven't seen too many of them about... everyone in mid seems to want the 'pwnage' dot warlock instead. From what I have seen they seem to be solid enough. I would best describe them as a skald without speed song. Their cone dd can be evil against a group as it does some pretty hefty damage. I don't know if it will scale well with level or not though.

Vampiir: lots of fun if you don't have a buffbot. Killer against unbuffed people, but it seems pretty even against those that are buffed. Their 'magic' spec lines seem uber at first, however there's a big problem with that... you need power. You can only gain power from melee and when you're not in melee your power drains. This leaves no incentive to hold back on a fight, and it means your entire fight is dependent on your ability to hit and your cast time. They have no natural defensive abilities (evade, parry etc) which is going to be a big penalty higher up when you have to get a few hits in before you can cast evade / parry etc. Even then, most are only going to have the defense of a light tank, and even full spec, your shield tank will still have more defense. Any buffed person with slam or similar stun looks like it will be a real vamp killer. They get safe fall which can be great for ambushing people by jumping off bridges, and wall climb which may or may not be useful at keeps (coz they don't get stealth). It remains to be seen.

Bainshee: haven't made up my mind about this one. They look fantastic but their abilities are somewhat limited. One line gives cone damage on a very short range, One line gives them ae damage at normal range and one line gives them pbaoe. They have no single target spec damage. They also can't effectively split spec at low levels due to the massive level differences between spells. They're incredibly easy to pick out (even more so than the warlock). It may just be in comparison to the warlock, it may be because they don't have a spec single target dd, or it may be because their spec lines seem to be that much further apart than other classes, but their damage output seems lacking. As said before they can do cone damage on one line but I wouldn't want to get that close to an enemy as a bainshee. They do get their ae bolt in another line which sounds op in theory, but take the same problems that you get with single bolt (people running, people blocking etc) and it's not as bad as you might think.

Cyfr

Banned
Yes I agree the dot is good. The amount of people i've killed because if managed to bolt them and add a dot to it :p.

But dot is no use if you are being attacked in meele, yeah ok you can get it off using uninteruptable, but you are most likely still gonna die, even if the other person does too.. :p

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
cyfr - at level 50 and toaed up a 43 hex 30 wc warlock will get about 4-5 uninterruptables off - on a 225 delve lifetap ;) casting at under 1s potentially, that's nasty.

Cyfr

Banned
so he can cast 4 spells.. then thats all mana gone (using uninteruptable) otherwise its 4sec casting

I mean yeah, hes gona rip a solo'er to peices.. but in full scale rvr hes gonna have no power left if he uses uninteruptables

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
4 uninterruptables whilst firing off a chamber every 2s ;)

it's going to murder one target anyway - and then he's using powerless cast (which is a bit slower casting 4.3s - but it's modified by dex so not so bad - can get that down to around 2s)

that's the trade off - they fire all their toys then they're used up - question is are they doing too much with the alpha strike? (considering that in a tower defence they can easily get somewhere safe to recharge whilst casting powerless spreadheals ;))

still too early to tell though.

iziz

Loyal Freddie
Cyfr said:
Yes I agree the dot is good. The amount of people i've killed because if managed to bolt them and add a dot to it :p.

But dot is no use if you are being attacked in meele, yeah ok you can get it off using uninteruptable, but you are most likely still gonna die, even if the other person does too.. :p

ie you're in the same position as every other caster out there. The point isn't that a warlock's gets much higher damage in return for slower cast times, it's that there is no chance to defend against a warlock frontloading all their spells at once.

So what if you're out of power after 4 casts. You can cast powerless if you choose to, but why do that when you're virtually guaranteed a kill with your 2s uninterruptable casting for insane damage.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
To be honest, DAOC has bigger problems than the introduction of a caster that might be powerful. Overal number of players on the US servers has dropped a staggering number of players, and many servers are near death, including the ones that were considered 'overpopulated' a few months ago.

I'd pay more attention to what Mythic is doing to serverclustering than the addition of this class. Warlocks aren't going to change RvR. Assuming there is any RvR left by the time these arrive. ;)

semanon

Fledgling Freddie
Agreed Tesla. I get the impression that Mythic are doing the proverbial head in the sand trick. The catacombe chars wont make the RvR change. It all the other misguided tinkering Mythic have made. I have noticed that European players seem to be totally discounting what is happening on the US servers. Watch and learn.

Illtar

Fledgling Freddie
just went through some number crushing, looking at delve DPS the warlock is so insane is cruel. Accounting slighty for the variance on the baseline nukes, a 43 hex 30 WC 12 curse warlock is going to have a delve DPS of ~2250 over the first 4 sec, :eek7: unloading chambers and using UNINT lifetaps. This is uninteruptable damage, and on ppl without resist buffs, it will likely do 6000ish damage.

A sorc has a delve DPS of 179*4=716

meaning that the warlock should do 3 times the damage of a sorc over the first 4 sec.

If the Warlock cast powerless cast LTs after depleting his power with the 5 UNINT casts.

It will still take another 31 sec before the sorc catches up casting the Baseline LT. (and after 35 LTs the sorc will long ago be OOP without using RP or Tart etc, meaing that it potentially will take even longer since the warlock could throw in some UNINT casts).

so the sorc will first have better DPS after 35 secs of chain nuking, which is maybe even hindrede by the sorc going oop.

35 sec of casting is about 17000 damage on a target without resist buffs. :puke:

Edaemos

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Divine Intervention will stop the initial damage

You would think so wouldn't you :)

Same guy from the video.

sshot2861lp.jpg

Aklaim

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Thats so true, back in the good ol days, sorry to keep saying this, but an fg vs fg fight could last anything like 5 minutes in Emain, now its reduced to 3 seconds to wipe 1fg. Thats draining the fun out of RvR in a big way.

Haha when Assassin's used to have IP, and when you could use FA... with for it.. IN COMBAT!... well not combat but with 3secs delay ;)

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
anyone arguing for warlocks and even comparing them to BD's are just clueless. I have never ever encountered anything like warlocks in DAoC before, the DPS they have with full chambers up is just scary, dont think theres anything they cant kill within a few seconds if they dont get demored asap. (which isnt the easiest thing to do always).

Another funny thing is that if they have chambers up, and you kill them asap, and they get rezzed, they keep the chambers and just instakill something anyway. Our sorc nearly deleted due to this since there's like, nothing we can do to actually keep the poor sod alive vs warlocks.

Total utter BS is what warlocks are and nothing else. Prenerf savage, zerker, whatever, nothing is like warlocks. On merlin they run 3 warlocks in some groups now. Its just laughable.

Gamah

Banned
Jesus, I dunno whats worse..shrike telling us how it will be or the fact theres no sign of a nerf in 1.74

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
Jesus, I dunno whats worse..shrike telling us how it will be or the fact theres no sign of a nerf in 1.74

im pretty sure there will be a nerf inc at some point, but im guessing it will take a couple months to keep the cash flowing.. and also to keep mids happy for once. (mids whine alot in US for some reason and claim they are underpowered).

Septina

Part of the furniture
Shike said:
im pretty sure there will be a nerf inc at some point, but im guessing it will take a couple months to keep the cash flowing.. and also to keep mids happy for once. (mids whine alot in US for some reason and claim they are underpowered).

Poor liddul hardmode middies, needed a good caster to be able to compete in rvr... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom