United States Corrupt Twattery

Embattle

FH is my second home
Eli5 what's going on here? Simple as a small rebel faction of Trumpers won't vote for the GOP candidate?

In essence 20 or so are holding up the support of 201, in the past it wasn't a problem as the high bar for being voted as speaker never caused an issue, much like the expected decency of a president publishing his tax returns.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Eli5 what's going on here? Simple as a small rebel faction of Trumpers won't vote for the GOP candidate?
Yeah, he's not right wing enough for them and has also pissed off a lot of people in his own party. Since the Republican majority is currently so tiny a small group can block him forever, or until they die from old age.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Dying of old age might be the quickest way out of this, he's lost the 8th vote with what looks like the exact same numbers voting for others or Present (21) as the previous 4 rounds. Meanwhile, the Democrats have unanimously backed the same guy in every single round so far. If a couple more of the "never Kevins" vote Present it'll lower the threshold and Jeffries will become Speaker but that's probably one of the less likely ways out of this.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
So they finally have a speaker, is it public what hes agreed to give up to the fascists?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So they finally have a speaker, is it public what hes agreed to give up to the fascists?
They all have to agree to the rules (which is where the concessions are documented) which is going to be another stumbling block (apparently some Republicans have already said they're not going to agree)

The obvious big one is that only 1 member (down from 5) is needed to launch a Motion to Vacate (vote of no confidence). I wonder how long it'll be before that comes back to bite him.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
They all have to agree to the rules (which is where the concessions are documented) which is going to be another stumbling block (apparently some Republicans have already said they're not going to agree)

The obvious big one is that only 1 member (down from 5) is needed to launch a Motion to Vacate (vote of no confidence). I wonder how long it'll be before that comes back to bite him.

Any member? Couldn't they just pull that out anytime something is proposed the 20 (or 212 dems) dont like?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Any member? Couldn't they just pull that out anytime something is proposed the 20 (or 212 dems) dont like?
I think it's only the majority party but still, there are still 6 who begrudgingly voted Present (abstained) rather than for him (lowering the threshold needed for him to win) so it only takes one of those loons to trigger it. Biggs, Boebert, Gaetz, Rosendale, etc... they're not called "Never Kevins" for nothing, they don't want him there.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
All people of religious belief are like that tbh.
He used to say he didn’t believe but found that it fits better with the people he grifts to finally find god.

Tosser.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I believe they were within other documents and date back to Obama.

Still...not a good look.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No implication that they were intentionally hidden though and it was an office, not his private residence. Full compliance once discovered, no lawyers instructed to lie.
The office thing is weak. What is an office other than a room you use to do shit?

My office is my private residence ...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The office thing is weak. What is an office other than a room you use to do shit?

My office is my private residence ...
If that's where they were actually being used then it's very different to removing them to somewhere else for the purposes of keeping them when you shouldn't. A difference between misfiling and theft.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If that's where they were actually being used then it's very different to removing them to somewhere else for the purposes of keeping them when you shouldn't. A difference between misfiling and theft.
Is that what Trump was doing then. Not holding meetings at mar a lago?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Trump took a load of classified material as souvenirs and they needed a warrant and an FBI raid to get them back. Biden's team had a couple of classified documents in a locked closet in an actual office and, as soon as they were found when clearing out the office, they went straight to the National Archives to report it. It's not ideal but the situation is totally incomparable to Trump.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

It's all getting a little bit pot-kettle isn't it.

All that's left to argue about is the amount of classified documents in presidents homes.

Maybe they should be searching obama and bush.
Not really. There's no implication that this was done deliberately and they are cooperating rather than lying and ignoring subpoenas.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not really. There's no implication that this was done deliberately and they are cooperating rather than lying and ignoring subpoenas.

It doesn't really matter. If you make a huge song and dance about something, then do it yourself (repeatedly, it seems) it makes you look like an idiot. The level of the crime itself is pretty meaningless in context.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Yes they are different but it still isn't good, it just feeds in to the narrative about Joe being doddery. It also adds another thing for the Republicans to attack and weaken Joe at the next election.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, that's getting thinner:
The latest disclosure is in addition to the discovery of documents found in December in Biden’s garage and in November at his former offices at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, from his time as vice-president.
and:
Sauber’s statement did not explain why the White House waited two days to provide an updated accounting of the number of classified documents. The White House is already facing scrutiny for waiting more than two months to acknowledge the discovery of the initial group of documents at the Biden office.

Shits going down with Trump and the Dems wait more than two months?

Some of this stuff predates Trump - and none of it would be known about if they weren't already rubber-gloving his orange ass.

You seem to be confused about what the "crime" is too @Wij - if two guys are guilty of burglary, one fesses up and the other doesn't that's optics - but they're both guilty of the same crime.

Frankly. It's clearly normal practice for senior public officials to carry classified documents. (And further - it's only blown out of proportion because: Trump).

At least they didn't leave them on a fucking train.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Seems more important to note that the US appears to have a problem with the control of classified documents. That's what needs fixing. Perhaps they should only be accessible at a secure location.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Perhaps they should only be accessible at a secure location.
On the surface that's sensible but one of the benefits of information is that it's portable - you need it where you're working - wherever that is.

But the rest I agree with.

What is interesting is that there's not the outrage around Biden as there is around Trump's transgressions. And, for me, that's absolutely not limited to documents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom