News Unemployment. here it comes!

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Unemployment actually dropped in the latest reports; growth is above estimates and so is trade; construction is improving a lot; house prices are dropping etc. All signs of a good recovery - especially the construction part.

Tories hope that the job cuts they enforce will coincide with another couple of quarters of strong growth on all fronts so effectively those becoming unemployed will simply hop aboard the investment boom that occurs during the later stages of recovery (when confidence is back in the economy) and ride the waves to lower unemployment and lower debt.

Whether it will work I am not sure. But the debt did need to be addressed and I think it has sent out a very good message to the country: Brown is a tit for believing boom and bust can be 'defeated' by an over-confident political party enjoying the good times. Don't be a tit like him.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We hope it cant be detected :ninja:, we stake a lot that it cant but the list of nasty shocks to those sort of statements that have been received is a long one:

- The Maginot Line is impregnable
- The bomber will always get through
- TnT will make warfare obselete
- The battleship is the warship
- Singapore is impregnable
- No bombers will attack Berlin
- Whats the worst that can happen if we bring that wooden horse in.

And we will be bit stuffed if we find out that Trident can be detected when our mightly fleet goes glug.

In evidence to the House of Commons Defence Select Committee on 23 January 2007, the US nuclear expert Richard Garwin said that the plans were "premature and wasteful", and that delaying the decision for 15 years following inexpensive engine repairs would save £5bn. He added that pressure to commission a new fleet of submarines was rooted in the shipbuilding industry's urge to land lucrative contracts.[27]

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
The British people caused the recession, we voted in idiots, then let them stay, complained a lot about it, but never did anything about it except get more credit cards and rip each other off by putting the prices of houses up so much so we could make a profit its stupid.

Gordon Brown just helped it along, while claiming a huge salary for making it worse, in private industry, he would have been sacked years ago for sending a company down the toilet, but instead we gave him a pay raise and he elected himself director or England. What did we as a people do, feck all.

As for this military bullshit, the only fights we need Trident and this sorta thing for, is to do Americas dirty work for them, and fight wars we dont belong in, dont understand and have no place being in.

Now the govt are going to make cuts, but instead of cutting the watse of space middle management from the public sector, it will be nurses, firemen, police and those at the local authorities who are there to help the public, once again shafting the little man while the top dogs get huge payouts.

As for growth in building and construction, yeah, great, but the only ones benefitting from that industry are the polish and latvians who are doing it. British brikkies cant find decent jobs cause some immigrant will do the same work for half the pay, which to us is also half the national average wage, and not a supportable sum. Then no one can get a decent mortgage to buy the houses they build, and instead some asshat buys them all and rents them privately to more immigrant or lazy unemployed dole bludgers who us tax payers pay the rent for.

We dont make anything anymore, we export East Enders and thats about it, we sold all the services like water, electricity and telephony and have nothing to show for it. We over priced ourselves in the global market because we all wanted to make too much profit out of each other through the 90s. Shops are being replaced with supermarkets that dont need checkouts any more because we want self service or home delivery, unless you want to buy a mobile phone or spend £1 per item in the poundland shops that are everywhere now.

Im as guilty as anyone wanting a lazy, easy life, automated everything to my door, but I know how guilty I am for letting the govts we have had in the last 20 years screw us for their share of the profits.

Sad fact is, that if 1 person were to stand up and try to say something about it, everyone else who before said they would support him, would suddenly vanish back into their 3 bed semi built by Vlad the pole, now owned by a guy in Delhi that we pay housing benefit for.

/endrant.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Your post has alot of merit, even for a rant. ;)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The British people caused the recession, we voted in idiots, then let them stay, complained a lot about it, but never did anything about it except get more credit cards and rip each other off by putting the prices of houses up so much so we could make a profit its stupid.

You can't put the blame for the credit crunch on one sub-group of the economy. If this were the case, automatic stabilizers and discretionary policy would have simply reacted. Indeed, the lack of discretionary policy (aka government inaction), the bankers' desire for profits via a rising stock market & so on all played a part.

The British people were enjoying a period of very good growth. Nothing was bad; the entire world was on an up & apart from the agreement amongst economics, the housing and stock market bubbles were thrown off as heresay. Behavioral economics states that people seek to maximise utility based on the present and future constraints. According to most of the world's politicans, the future offered no constraints - just more money to be earnt.

. said:
Now the govt are going to make cuts, but instead of cutting the watse of space middle management from the public sector, it will be nurses, firemen, police and those at the local authorities who are there to help the public, once again shafting the little man while the top dogs get huge payouts

As far I was aware, Tories are cutting administrative. I believe no nurses are being made redundant, the Police force may actually be improving, as they are thinking of ditching PCSOs' & as a result, turning some of them into fully fledged Officers. A fire station closed recently in our area, so I feel for the concern but unless you can show me some links of 'massive front-line cuts' to prove me wrong, this seems a bit scaremongering.

. said:
As for growth in building and construction, yeah, great, but the only ones benefitting from that industry are the polish and latvians who are doing it. British brikkies cant find decent jobs cause some immigrant will do the same work for half the pay, which to us is also half the national average wage, and not a supportable sum. Then no one can get a decent mortgage to buy the houses they build, and instead some asshat buys them all and rents them privately to more immigrant or lazy unemployed dole bludgers who us tax payers pay the rent for.

The group currently refitting our store are all English and most builders I've had the pleasure of having build for me or someone I know have been english. None the less you are entitled to your view. I completely agree re: the benefit/immigrant situation but by the sounds of it Cameron hates that shit too.

. said:
We dont make anything anymore, we export East Enders and thats about it, we sold all the services like water, electricity and telephony and have nothing to show for it. We over priced ourselves in the global market because we all wanted to make too much profit out of each other through the 90s. Shops are being replaced with supermarkets that dont need checkouts any more because we want self service or home delivery, unless you want to buy a mobile phone or spend £1 per item in the poundland shops that are everywhere now.

We lost our exporting prowess in the 1960's. Nothing new there. Services is a dodgy one. I think they should be re-formed into public utilities or they should play extensively by public rules but I don't know much about them.

The last bit I don't get. That's development. It occurs in every country and is usually directed by what the people want. Poundlands don't thrive because Gordon Brown sucked, they thrive because people desire them. The same applies to self-service & home delivery.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Bugz, the cuts won't be announced till November bud, until no one can be totally sure but I am praying they don't slash frontline services.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Freezing the winter fuel payments, made me laugh. :D

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Frontline services are the easiest to cut, and sadly, it will be the middle management that Whitehall ask to make the recomendations as to who should be cut, and they are hardly likely to cut themselves are they.

In my case, I maybe cut, being IT for the NHS and they want to remove all "non medical staffing" from the rostas, however what will probably happen (this happens a lot already), I will be re-employed by whoever takes over the IT for the NHS (which is a very essential service these days) like BT or Avaya, keep my benefits like pension and annual leave, but tax payers will be paying another 30% or more for me. Go figure.

As for the military, yes things like choppas and bullets will be cut, nothing too important.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Until we can pull our soldiers out then we do still need new and extra equipment for them, including helicopters and heavy duty vehicles. If we hadn't have got involved in the first place then we could wait a few years but due to the Labour party dragging us into one illegal war and one un-winnable war our armed forces have been over stretched and under equipped. You just can't make military cut backs when you are at war.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just been told by a mate who works at the Scottish Enviroment Protection Agency that they will be shedding 1 in 3 jobs (33% of total workforce or thereabouts), quite possibly my friend included. :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No offence to you or your friend Cho, but that's the kind of pointless institution we really don't need to be paying for with tax payers money.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
No offence to you or your friend Cho, but that's the kind of pointless institution we really don't need to be paying for with tax payers money.

What?? Do you have a fucking clue what they do? Oil spills on the coast? They do the cleanup, pollution in rivers? They prosecute the offenders and help clean up the effected areas.

How is that pointless?

Oh and now NHS Direct is scrapped too, I am sure that will be meaningless to you as well if it saves you 0.01p in the pound.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They're replacing NHS direct with the non emergency 999 number, 111.

And I read their website, they do a lot of good stuff, but a lot of fluff too. As long as the 1 in 3 jobs go from fluff, then I really don't care.

It's shitty for those in public sector jobs, but if we hadn't had soo many pointless roles created simply for the sake of it, and instead had incentives for growth of the private sector, then we wouldn't be in such a dodgy place.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
A service with alot less nurses so actually less useful but all for a tiny cost saving and an easier number to dial, what a fucking joke. Slowly dismantling anything decent that Labour actually managed, that service has saved lives because people got to speak to actual nurses and not call centre staff.

- English -

Resident Freddy
A service with alot less nurses so actually less useful but all for a tiny cost saving and an easier number to dial, what a fucking joke. Slowly dismantling anything decent that Labour actually managed, that service has saved lives because people got to speak to actual nurses and not call centre staff.

Welcome to the real world cHodAX .. things dont come for free. Any government could do what labour did, they spent spent spent and didnt care about our debt. They have done you no favours. The tories are cleaning up labours incompitent mess again and obviously looking bad for it. Get real cHodAX ;p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Do you ever report anything accurately from the links you post? Fucking hell leave the spin to the politicians. Really pointless.

That is one possible outcome, from the article you cherry picked from:

The cut to the police budget in England and Wales is generally expected to total 25% - in line with other government cutbacks - but the exact level will not be known until the spending review is announced in October.
Mr Fahy said GMP had been planning for the cuts for months and staff had been looking at areas where savings could be made.

"While every effort has been made to reduce our corporate costs and protect front-line services to the public, inevitably there will be fewer posts overall and that will have an impact on policing," he said.

"While the full extent of cuts will not become clear until later this year, we are working on a range of assumptions and making plans accordingly.

Honestly, if you are going to post things like this, then present the facts, and then your opinion as two separate things.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Maybe they can stop sitting around in vans pointing radar at cars then. Speaking to a detective inspector that drinks in the local and they were saying that there is a lot of wasted time in the police, lots of unnecessary overtime, lots of pointless courses (she described them as jollies) too many clerical staff.

Basically it has been run like anything else under labour, jobs created to keep labour voters in work. The public sector has needed a wake up call for a very long time, no private company could afford to waste so much money on crap they don't need so I don't see why the public sector should.

In saying that, the money saved from making job cuts won't be quite as much as people think, it costs to get rid of people because of their crazy contracts, then there is still the matter of the massive pension deficit. The best way would probably be through natural wastage but who the fucks going to leave a cushy public sector job voluntarily? Personally I don't think the jobs cull will be quite as bad as the media and the unions make out, it will be more in non staff spending.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Do you ever report anything accurately from the links you post? Fucking hell leave the spin to the politicians. Really pointless.

That is one possible outcome, from the article you cherry picked from:

The cut to the police budget in England and Wales is generally expected to total 25% - in line with other government cutbacks - but the exact level will not be known until the spending review is announced in October.
Mr Fahy said GMP had been planning for the cuts for months and staff had been looking at areas where savings could be made.

"While every effort has been made to reduce our corporate costs and protect front-line services to the public, inevitably there will be fewer posts overall and that will have an impact on policing," he said.

"While the full extent of cuts will not become clear until later this year, we are working on a range of assumptions and making plans accordingly.

Honestly, if you are going to post things like this, then present the facts, and then your opinion as two separate things.

GMP have planned for a 25% cut and jobs are ALREADY being shed, oh and I posted the fucking link so people could read it and judge for themselves.

I hope you are going to eat humble pie if those cuts of 25% are actually announced next month but regardless we now know that big cuts are coming to police numbers, it is undeniable.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Cho, when it comes to this topic you are a total tool.

It's one outcome, I did not deny that. If GMP are already cutting jobs, that is their decision. They government spending cuts won't be announced until October, so grandstanding by unions and media speculation is just that.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Cho, when it comes to this topic you are a total tool.

It's one outcome, I did not deny that. If GMP are already cutting jobs, that is their decision. They government spending cuts won't be announced until October, so grandstanding by unions and media speculation is just that.

Nice, personal insults now, sign of a losing argument.

Oh and as I said, what will you have to say when the cuts are announced if they are as bad as predicated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom