Science Time-lapse Milky Way

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
"Moves to Dakota"

It just illustrates how many stars are in the milky way, there are millions of galaxies like the milky way. Trillions upon trillions of stars.

Edit. Must spread rep etc etc.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The second one took my breath away in HD, just shows how much beauty we miss when living in cities with all the light pollution.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The second one took my breath away in HD, just shows how much beauty we miss when living in cities with all the light pollution.

You do know that the sky doesn't actually look like that there and you get the same sky by popping 5 miles outside any city :p

Freaking hippie.

Those videos are cool though.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Thot. While on a game reserve in South Africa I saw some stunning night skies, yes the colours were not that vivid and the human eye cannot focus clearly on that big a scene all at one, still it is something I really would like to see more often but won't happen while I live in the city.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I see you've found TSO Photography on Vimeo. :)

I've liked that Aurora video since I first saw it a couple of months ago. The music from Gladiator fits with it perfectly.

I don't have time right this second, but there's another timelapse photographer who did some of that Icelandic volcano that finishes with some shots of a wrecked aeroplane. The depth of field and use of focus is really impressive.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Laying on the lawn watching the night sky is quite soothing..

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You do know that the sky doesn't actually look like that there and you get the same sky by popping 5 miles outside any city :p

In your backwards arse country, perhaps. But our cities aren't tiny and massively affect light in the surrounding areas, much more so than in the land of nothing and moomins.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
lightpoluk.jpg

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
In your backwards arse country, perhaps. But our cities aren't tiny and massively affect light in the surrounding areas, much more so than in the land of nothing and moomins.

Moron, moomin are from sweden :p

And the point stands; make an effort to take a trip and you'll see plenty of stars.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

And the point stands; make an effort to take a trip and you'll see plenty of stars.

No you won't...

I've never seen the night sky with as many stars in the UK as I have in the night sky in South Africa...Even in the middle of nowhere in Devon where you need a torch to get to the car you don't get the same number of stars...

There is too much light pollution.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
No you won't...

I've never seen the night sky with as many stars in the UK as I have in the night sky in South Africa...Even in the middle of nowhere in Devon where you need a torch to get to the car you don't get the same number of stars...

Spot on, there are very few places in the U.K. where you get night skies unpolluted enough to see much worthwhile. Dumfries and Galloway has a park in the middle of nowhere that is exceptional iirc. Keep meaning to go and have a look.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
it's basically Wales/ remote Scotland if you want any chance of seeing anything decent like that in the UK

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well we dont breed like gob eating chavs and scousers.. Thats why we dont have far to go to see a bright stary night sky.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

The Moomins (Swedish: Mumintroll, Finnish: Muumi) are the central characters in a series of books and a comic strip by Swedish-Finn illustrator and writer Tove Jansson, originally published in Swedish by Schildts[2] in Finland. They are a family of trolls who are white and roundish, with large snouts that make them resemble hippopotamuses. The carefree and adventurous family live in their house in Moominvalley, in the forests of Finland

They live in Finland. Know your own country before stating baseless 'facts' about ours. The light photograph above shows pretty clearly you can't just go a few miles out of somewhere like London and see the sky.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Wisconsin was where I saw the best stars/milky way. Could see all the satellites whizzing around as well. Amazing.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
The best view of the stars I have seen was in egypt when I was diving from a livaboard.

Sitting on deck with all the lights off in the middle of the red sea gave a good view, but nothing like the videos posted.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
They live in Finland. Know your own country before stating baseless 'facts' about ours.

I was referring to the fact that moomin are from Sweden, i don't consider the fantasy land a reality like you.

And like said in previous, maybe not few miles, but a few miles certainly compared to a trip to anoter country.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
it's basically Wales/ remote Scotland if you want any chance of seeing anything decent like that in the UK

:)
If I want a quick look at a fairly dark sky, I just drive 2-3 miles up the road.

If I want to get to go somewhere with darker skies, I drive some more miles to here.
53.092172,-3.614727 - Google Maps
On a cold, clear winter night, it is magical.

dysfunction said:
No you won't...

I must disagree with you for two reasons.
1) There is much more of interest in southern skies than northern skies. The Milky Way is much brighter towards Sagittarius, there are the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, there's the Southern Cross and far more bright stars near the south celestial pole than the northern equivalent. The skies are basically brighter in the south.

2)I stayed at my folks place on Mull in Scotland for Christmas 2009.
On Christmas Day at about 2AM, I stepped outside and allowed my eyes to get completely night adjusted.
There was no light pollution. There was no glow from ground level. There were no lights that I could see in any direction and the quarter moon had set 90mins earlier. The ONLY source of light was the sky itself. The sky was a deep deep deep blue that was almost pure black, and I could not only see faint stars clearly, I could see the Milky Way so clearly that I could see individual stars and the dust lanes. Looking SW towards Orion, I saw the usual stars and nebulae, but I could also see the faint curve of Barnard's Loop. I challenge anyone to see that with their naked eyes with any light pollution.

Using the peripheral vision trick, I could actually count 8 stars in the Pleiades. I normally see 5 if I look straight at it, but if you focus just to one side and use your peripheral vision, you can see a couple more.

There were also a dozen or so meteors streaking away from the direction of Polaris and Ursa Minor, so I suppose those must have been part of the Ursid meteor shower.

I also saw a faint patch of light (not as bright at the Milky Way) extending up from the horizon at an angle and realised that it was in the plane of the ecliptic. It must have been the zodiacal light.

The best thing though was the realisation that I could see the silhouette of trees and the snow on the ground. I was able to see objects around me by starlight alone. :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh and i did forget to add that i don't mean 5 miles from the center of london, i mean 5 miles away from the lights of the city.

Thought that would be implied, but what the hey.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You just don't get it at all do you. The lights here are so dense and powerful that even 20 miles away from lights in a city the sky is blighted.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yep there are very few places where even 20 miles from the edge of habitation there isn't tons of light pollution from road and motorway lighting.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I can honestly think of only one occasion in the northern hemisphere when I've had clear skies and proper zero light pollution, and that was in the desert in Jordan. In the southern hemisphere I've witnessed it in a few places, Fraser Island in Australia was the most memorable, so much that I stayed out all night watching the sky.

I'm sure there are places in the UK where you could get a proper view, but I reckon they're pretty few and far between and I just don't think I've been to any of them at night.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You just don't get it at all do you. The lights here are so dense and powerful that even 20 miles away from lights in a city the sky is blighted.

Fine, you're blinded by the superlights of the city, then go 30 miles. Hell, 100 miles.

Or better yet, find a clearing in the woods ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I can honestly think of only one occasion in the northern hemisphere when I've had clear skies and proper zero light pollution, and that was in the desert in Jordan. In the southern hemisphere I've witnessed it in a few places, Fraser Island in Australia was the most memorable, so much that I stayed out all night watching the sky.

I'm sure there are places in the UK where you could get a proper view, but I reckon they're pretty few and far between and I just don't think I've been to any of them at night.

That park in D&G I mentioned...

Forestry Commission Scotland - Galloway Forest Park Dark Skies

One of the best places in Europe apparently.

What can I see?

With over 7000 visible stars to look at you are spoilt for choice. The Milky Way is clearly visible with the naked eye as are near objects. With observing instruments there is no limit other than the instrument itself.

BBC NEWS | UK | Forest park given Dark Sky honour

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom