What time do you start work?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
A french colleague once explained that in the french corporate HQ it was often expected that you were at work at your desk when your boss arrived and you did not leave until he/she left

When a swede got put in a managerial position and started showing up at 8am and eating lunch at 11 it totally screwed up their working habits until he stopped them from practising that kind of nonsense

That's pretty interesting from the French.. :p

SilverHood

FH is my second home
It's mostly bullshit, though in banking (not retail though) and other financial industries there are roles requiring more hours... this would normally be done by the ambitious folks wanting to get on rather than any contracted situation.

My team needs to be there from 7 to 7, later if required by the business. Until recently, we had 6 people which to do this, so our shifts were:
Early shift 7 to 5
Late shift 9 to 7

We now have 10 people, so trying to get it down by an hour. On some days, it's not uncommon for me to come in at 7AM, leave at 7PM and the people that arrived before me are still there. They are usually on the trading side, or quantitative developers who are trying to hit deadlines or get some work done without being interrupted every 5 minutes. That said, if our stuff is broken, there is not an option of just leaving it until the next day. We'll stay all night if we have to.

As for the worst I've experienced, I did 2 months of working 12-18 hours a day including Saturdays and Sundays. My team was reduced from 3 people to 2, and my remaining colleague was on his honeymoon for 4 weeks and then had some visa renewal issues and was stuck in London for another month. Sadly, no overtime, but I did get time off in lieu.... 54 vacation days that year.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
My team needs to be there from 7 to 7, later if required by the business. Until recently, we had 6 people which to do this, so our shifts were:
Early shift 7 to 5
Late shift 9 to 7

We now have 10 people, so trying to get it down by an hour. On some days, it's not uncommon for me to come in at 7AM, leave at 7PM and the people that arrived before me are still there. They are usually on the trading side, or quantitative developers who are trying to hit deadlines or get some work done without being interrupted every 5 minutes. That said, if our stuff is broken, there is not an option of just leaving it until the next day. We'll stay all night if we have to.

As for the worst I've experienced, I did 2 months of working 12-18 hours a day including Saturdays and Sundays. My team was reduced from 3 people to 2, and my remaining colleague was on his honeymoon for 4 weeks and then had some visa renewal issues and was stuck in London for another month. Sadly, no overtime, but I did get time off in lieu.... 54 vacation days that year.

Fuck, I suppose when one of your colleagues leaves like that, it makes so many more toilets to clean!

soze

I am a FH squatter
My friend has the best working practice I know of. They have to log 152 hours a month. And you can do it however you want including weekends. So he could work 12 12 hour days and one 8 hour day and then take the rest of the month off. Or what they normally do is take the 152 hours over 3 weeks and then take 1 off. But I don't think they get any holiday pay so you must need to play your hours to get time off.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I work to live. At home as much as possible. Maybe one or two days a week in the office. 9-5:30 but i seem to be able to excced expectations on less than that.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I once arrived at a customer site with a team of 3 on a Monday morning at 7 am and did not get to a hotel for sleep until Wednesday afternoon. People were catching quick naps during flight tests and down time when no power was available but only for a couple of hours at best. When I did finally crawl into a bed it was for over 12 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom