What time do you start work?

MrFright

Fledgling Freddie
I was at a decent sized house party the other day with a bunch of friends and their mutual friends and we started BSing about work. But then started talking about work balance and was surprised at the varying schedules. I assumed most had the typical 9-5 but they didn't...

I start at 9:30 at the moment, how about you?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
9:30 - 10 start usually leave about 4:30-4:45 but usually have calls in the evening with US HQ side.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
8:30 but usually in at 8, finish at 5 but flexible either way.

10 minute commute though so meh.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
In at 8am, leave at 4pm

Any extra and boss has to cough up some serious cash money bills

dysfunction

FH is my second home
My official hours are 9:30 to 5:30.
I'm usually in at 8:30 and leave around 5:45 or 6.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Start around 8 and should finish by 5 but sometimes it ends up 8 to 8 as some of the families work so cant be seen before 6pm. I do get to take the hours back tho if that happens. This does not count paperwork and emails tho which can sometimes take a few extra hours each day and you dont get those hours back.

Himse

FH is my second home
8-5/5:30 usually.

But the bosses are pretty relaxed about it & flexible.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
When I feel like it ☺

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Currently in a rotation of doing 0700-1500 one week, 0800-1600 the next.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I work as an English teacher at a private language school at the moment so my hours are mostly evenings and weekends because that's when people are free from other work/school commitments to be able to attend the lessons. At the moment I work from roughly 16:00 - 21:00 on week days.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Almost never start before 10am, almost never leave before 6:30pm.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Varies. Tomorrow will be about 9-1. Sunday about 1-6. Monday about 0430-0900.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
That's one good thing about mine, i dont have to work weekends

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Varies quite a bit with mine, supposed to be 9 - 5:30 but I work with the States a lot so usually ends up being 9:30 til around 6, with maybe a few emails etc in the evening. Weekends are usually free, only work related stuff I have to do then is travel, especially when trips to the States are involved.

This week has been an exception, got a big preso tomorrow so started about 9pm on Sunday evening, and laptop has been on from 10am until Midnight most days (obviously have breaks for dinner and other stuff), but then I am not working Friday (not booked it off, just not working) so it's a 5 day week in 4 days. Our company are pretty cool like that actually, for instance if we fly out on the Saturday nothing is expected from us on the Friday, and there is usually another quiet day at the end of the trip.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Up at 6.00 and in work between 7.00 - 7.30, rarely get home before 6.00pm, and if I have appointments then i'm not home until 8.00pm

My boss is a twat, i'd leave if he wasn't me :(

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Up at 5 am and I work from 7am till I want to go home. Sometimes I leave at 3pm sometimes at 5pm. However I am paid to do a job so continue from home and at weekends especially at monthend, quarterly forecasts, 5 year plan and budgets.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Are we including commute?

Officially 8am to 4pm: at my desk at 8am, leave my desk at 4pm. When I'm on call (1 week in 3) I cover 5pm to 8am and 24 hours on the weekend. I work from home at least 1 day per week.

I am flexible though, if someone puts a conference call in between 4:30pm and 5pm (and it's reasonably urgent), I will dial in from my Blackberry and have it on the drive home.

Anything more than "core hours" needs to be paid overtime and chargeable to a project, so I'm not supposed to do anything extra than 8am to 4pm.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Mine was not including travel time

old.user4556

I was once friends (we're not anymore, he was a cock) with a guy who worked in London who had very serious delusions of grandeur. He claimed that he worked "8am to 8pm" every day because it was the "London culture".

I didn't understand it, he worked at a retail bank. Can Londoners confirm or deny this?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's mostly bullshit, though in banking (not retail though) and other financial industries there are roles requiring more hours... this would normally be done by the ambitious folks wanting to get on rather than any contracted situation.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
8.30 start for me, although it's a ten minute walk from home so can't complain, finish anytime from 5-7 depending on what's going on and how keen I feel :)

Laddey

FH is my second home
7 til 4:30 but i have to travel and be on site for 8 however far i am

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I was once friends (we're not anymore, he was a cock) with a guy who worked in London who had very serious delusions of grandeur. He claimed that he worked "8am to 8pm" every day because it was the "London culture".

I didn't understand it, he worked at a retail bank. Can Londoners confirm or deny this?

It's called "presenteeism" and it's bullshit for insecure fucktards. And if your boss expects it, he's a fucktard too.

soze

I am a FH squatter
09.00 to 18.00 for me but because of traffic I tend to get to work at 08.20 - 08.40. I never have been one of the people who can get to work 1 minute before you start. We have some fuckers who show up 10 minutes late everyday and blame traffic (if your always late because of traffic you need to leave earlier fuck nugget) and still spend 20 minutes making coffee and talking about I'm a non entity get me out of here.

old.user4556

It's called "presenteeism" and it's bullshit for insecure fucktards. And if your boss expects it, he's a fucktard too.

Thought so. Insecure fucktard describes him well, he often used it to try to make himself look superior.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
A french colleague once explained that in the french corporate HQ it was often expected that you were at work at your desk when your boss arrived and you did not leave until he/she left

When a swede got put in a managerial position and started showing up at 8am and eating lunch at 11 it totally screwed up their working habits until he stopped them from practising that kind of nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom