SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
That happened.

Well done captain obvious! I'm sure none of us would have realised had you not pointed out the obvious flaw in an obvious joke.... I don't even think there's a facepalm big enough in response to that.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well done captain obvious! I'm sure none of us would have realised had you not pointed out the obvious flaw in an obvious joke.... I don't even think there's a facepalm big enough in response to that.

or for your incredibly old joke....

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Reminds me of the elderly dad that wanted his garden dug up for planting but his son was in prison...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Should we stop drinking coffee?

see loads of carbon and environmental raging going around about different things. But hadn’t seen anything on coffee cause its fashionable maybe ? Or something people are not willing to give up?

Growing a single kilogram of Arabica coffee in either country and exporting it to the UK produces greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 15.33 kg of carbon dioxide on average. That’s raw, pre-roasted beans (otherwise known as “green coffee”) produced using conventional methods. But by using less fertiliser, managing water and energy use more efficiently during milling and exporting the beans by cargo ship rather than aeroplane, that figure falls to 3.51 kg of CO₂ equivalent per kg of coffee.

The average cup of coffee contains about 18g of green coffee, so 1 kg of it can make 56 espressos. Just one espresso has an average carbon footprint of about 0.28 kg, but it could be as little as 0.06 kg if grown sustainably.

But what if you like your coffee with milk? Lattes have a carbon footprint of about 0.55 kg, followed by cappuccinos on 0.41 kg and flat whites on 0.34 kg. But when the coffee is produced sustainably, these values fall to 0.33 kg, 0.2 kg and 0.13 kg respectively. Using non-dairy milk alternatives is one way to make white coffee more green.

There are plenty of other ways to shrink the carbon footprint of sustainable coffee even further, like replacing chemical fertilisers with organic waste and using renewable energy to power farm equipment. Roasting coffee beans in their country of origin makes them lighter during transport too, so vessels can burn less fuel transporting the same amount of coffee.

Of course, it’s not just carbon emissions that leave a bitter taste. The coffee industry is plagued by human right abuses and other environmental issues, such as water pollution and habitat destruction. Certification schemes exist to ensure coffee meets a minimum ethical standard during its journey from crop field to shop shelf. These schemes need constant improvement as the industry grows. One way to do that would be including our recommendations for growing more climate-friendly coffee, so that people can buy certified coffee with confidence that their daily luxury isn’t costing the Earth.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Is there any point in living without coffee?

I think the tree frogs and okapi would absolutely not want us to live in a world without it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

see loads of carbon and environmental raging going around about different things. But hadn’t seen anything on coffee cause its fashionable maybe ? Or something people are not willing to give up?

Growing a single kilogram of Arabica coffee in either country and exporting it to the UK produces greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 15.33 kg of carbon dioxide on average. That’s raw, pre-roasted beans (otherwise known as “green coffee”) produced using conventional methods. But by using less fertiliser, managing water and energy use more efficiently during milling and exporting the beans by cargo ship rather than aeroplane, that figure falls to 3.51 kg of CO₂ equivalent per kg of coffee.

The average cup of coffee contains about 18g of green coffee, so 1 kg of it can make 56 espressos. Just one espresso has an average carbon footprint of about 0.28 kg, but it could be as little as 0.06 kg if grown sustainably.

But what if you like your coffee with milk? Lattes have a carbon footprint of about 0.55 kg, followed by cappuccinos on 0.41 kg and flat whites on 0.34 kg. But when the coffee is produced sustainably, these values fall to 0.33 kg, 0.2 kg and 0.13 kg respectively. Using non-dairy milk alternatives is one way to make white coffee more green.

There are plenty of other ways to shrink the carbon footprint of sustainable coffee even further, like replacing chemical fertilisers with organic waste and using renewable energy to power farm equipment. Roasting coffee beans in their country of origin makes them lighter during transport too, so vessels can burn less fuel transporting the same amount of coffee.

Of course, it’s not just carbon emissions that leave a bitter taste. The coffee industry is plagued by human right abuses and other environmental issues, such as water pollution and habitat destruction. Certification schemes exist to ensure coffee meets a minimum ethical standard during its journey from crop field to shop shelf. These schemes need constant improvement as the industry grows. One way to do that would be including our recommendations for growing more climate-friendly coffee, so that people can buy certified coffee with confidence that their daily luxury isn’t costing the Earth.

Its alright, another few degrees of global temp rise and we'll be able to grow coffee in the Scottish Highlands. We'll all be dead or under water of course, but our drinks will be sustainable.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Is there any point in living without coffee?

I think the tree frogs and okapi would absolutely not want us to live in a world without it.
Coffee is generally pretty fucking god damn awful.

But to keep you werido addicts happy with it's continued existence we should absolutley legislate on the permissable carbon footprint of a cup of coffee and we should price in environmental tax to help with offsetting.

We really need to do that on an absolutely obsessive level with even the tiniest things we consume.

Gwadien

I'm fairly sure I made a similar argument about plastic straws being a easy option and that got shot down by you?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm fairly sure I made a similar argument about plastic straws being a easy option and that got shot down by you?
Coffee's not an easy option is it really.

Frankly, we should definitely do something with coffee. If people started seeing changes in their preferred morning drink then it'd hit home that we need to be doing shit.

Gwadien

Frankly, we should definitely do something with coffee. If people started seeing changes in their preferred morning drink then it'd hit home that we need to be doing shit.

That's my point, I raised it before as the removal of plastic straws is a token gesture that companies like the make a fuss about to pretend they care when they have the tiniest contribution to the destruction of the environment.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I guess its the same with tea as well. Or similar.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Did you? I dont remember.

not really saying stopping coffee is an easy option. Just that people dont understand the impact of regular things that they take for granted. Coffee shops on every street corner and people talk a lot about the receptacles they drink out of. But not the stuff inside them. As if theres a magic coffee fairy filling them.

i wonder how many extinction rebellion peeps wake up and have a coffee every morning.

Gwadien

Not drunk coffee or tea really. Never understood its appeal

So again you're picking on things that you take don't part in, why don't you look at the environmental impact of things you do like?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
i wonder how many extinction rebellion peeps wake up and have a coffee every morning.
People keep making this sort of argument and I really don't like it.

Humans don't need to live like ascetics to have their ideas and points listened to. In fact, it's impossible not to.

I bet 99.99% of XR people are living much less impactful lives than almost everyone else of the country they live in. And they're not only doing that but also campaigning in a meaningful fashion - not just greenwashing by making sure their recycling goes in the right bin before driving their gas guzzlers around.

"but they drink fucking coffee - the useless wankers - why would I listen to anything they say, the fucking crusty hypocrits. If they want to be listened to they should live in fucking mud huts and drink nothing but dirty water".

But hey ho.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have 1 single cup of coffee a day. I don't fly, I don't drive very far, I recycle to a fault my home is probably one of the most efficient around.

I'll keep my coffee, thanks :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Probably should do something about coffee... But like straws its a drop in the ocean (hah) compared to meat... Tax meat more to show real cost to environment. Though most of the meat alternatives are not as green as they make out to be. Better than meat but still not great.

All in all we should be consuming less of pretty much everything that isnt produced locally.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
coffee is my drug of choice to be honest : So much so this is our coffee machine and I love holidays away from home except for the fact we do not have our coffee machine with us so we have to have brewed... :(

E8 - JURA Sverige

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Probably should do something about coffee... But like straws its a drop in the ocean (hah) compared to meat... Tax meat more to show real cost to environment. Though most of the meat alternatives are not as green as they make out to be. Better than meat but still not great.

All in all we should be consuming less of pretty much everything that isnt produced locally.

Speaking of which, been to a bbq this afternoon and had some veggie stuff, really good, we are going to eat more of it. Still eating steak though, they will have to take it from my cold dead hands.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

The article i quoted said that 1kg of coffee could be up to half as my as beef in its carbon impact. So not like its out of the ball park

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So again you're picking on things that you take don't part in, why don't you look at the environmental impact of things you do like?
I dont tend to get single use plastic unless theres no alternative. Have hardly many miles on my car. Work from home even before the pandemic. Recycle my rubbish. get most of my meat from a local farmer. And veg and stuff on the farm shop thats about a mile from my house.

i am sure theres things that would impact me. I tend to drink caffine free diet coke and recycle the bottles. The liquid is made in the uk. Im sure theres Ingredients that could be impactful.

im not a saint, far from it. But since work stopped requiring me to travel my carbon foot print is pretty low for a western country.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
All of them need to be considered. Coffee, meat, straws, vegetables, sources, production styles, locations etc. etc.. Massive change to our consumption styles.

Which, of course, no government will do.

Gwadien

All of them need to be considered. Coffee, meat, straws, vegetables, sources, production styles, locations etc. etc.. Massive change to our consumption styles.

Which, of course, no government will do.

It's almost like consumption and capitalism go hand in hand :O

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's almost like consumption and capitalism go hand in hand :O
The continual search for growth. Its unsustainable. But the markets fall apart without it.

stock prices should increase for sustainability and global responsibility. Not just having more currency than last year.

and the amount of crap that marketed from china. Plastic this that or the other that solves problems you were never having.

just saw a facebook ad for a box to keep batteries in. Little cut outs for each shape of battery. Its rubbish and a waste of resources. You just need a drawer like many have used for decades.

should be a global law that nothing new can go to market unless its environmentally sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom