SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

I call bullshit.

Leicester recently sold off most of their council-ran golf courses within the city for housing.

Now instead of a nice green golf course in the city, you've just got another huge block of housing.

and the opposite has happened to what that tweet suggests; golf courses in the county are doing much better, but only relatively wealthy people can afford to use those, whilst poorer people in the city don't have any options.

There's plenty of land that can be used for housing, we just need to force house builders to use it rather than just going for the most profitable options.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They should be turned into parks and "re-wilded" meadows, woodland etc, with cycling, walking and whatnot. During the lockdown the golf course near me were kind enough to allow people free access to the course.

We need accessible green spaces as much as we need yet more housing. Half the problem with housing is all the parasites buying to let, along with holiday homes.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
They should be turned into parks and "re-wilded" meadows, woodland etc, with cycling, walking and whatnot. During the lockdown the golf course near me were kind enough to allow people free access to the course.

We need accessible green spaces as much as we need yet more housing. Half the problem with housing is all the parasites buying to let, along with holiday homes.

I'm surrounded by golf courses where I live (seriously, as the crow flies I've got a golf course within a couple of miles max in every direction) and not a one of them allows public rights of way or access ("right to roam" is not a thing in Ireland). I've walked past them, empty and unused during the pandemic and it completely boils my piss.

Having said that, @Gwadien is right that using them for housing is a rotten idea.

Gwadien

I'm surrounded by golf courses where I live (seriously, as the crow flies I've got a golf course within a couple of miles max in every direction) and not a one of them allows public rights of way or access ("right to roam" is not a thing in Ireland). I've walked past them, empty and unused during the pandemic and it completely boils my piss.

Having said that, @Gwadien is right that using them for housing is a rotten idea.

Exactly, you'd rather walk past a golf course than a bunch of houses, as for not having public of rights of way, *puts high viz on* health and safety field day here boys.

I just find picking on golf courses weird. All the post WW2 council estates around here are having their 'green patch' in the middle of the estates built on. Most kids don't have a open green space in walking distance, which I find a bit mental, whereas when I were at school many kids were into golf, and it was relatively cheap at the council ran golf club, using the collective clubs.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Our local posh one is a bit of a running joke. It was designed by some big wheel at the PGA factory and even had a full-blown PGA tournament once, on Sky and everything. They fucked it by hiding the fact that the course was shit, they used vegetable dye to colour the greens, which were in a right state. It costs £600 a year plus £30 per round. They seem to be in a constant state of bewilderment as to why they are constantly on the verge of going out of business. They have sold most of the out of the way bits for posh houses where rich folk can whine about golf balls all the time.

The council one up the road does a good trade, I even go up there with a friend now and again and play on the pitch and putt (9 hole mini-ish golf) nice walk and if you don't take it too seriously it can be good fun. A full round and club rental is about £30, pitch and putt was £5 last time I went.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Exactly, you'd rather walk past a golf course than a bunch of houses, as for not having public of rights of way, *puts high viz on* health and safety field day here boys.

I just find picking on golf courses weird. All the post WW2 council estates around here are having their 'green patch' in the middle of the estates built on. Most kids don't have a open green space in walking distance, which I find a bit mental, whereas when I were at school many kids were into golf, and it was relatively cheap at the council ran golf club, using the collective clubs.
I agree a lot of it would be better being re wilded and accessible rather than built on. But as it is at the moment they are pretty sterile environments for wildlife

Gwadien

I agree a lot of it would be better being re wilded and accessible rather than built on. But as it is at the moment they are pretty sterile environments for wildlife

Why would you suggest to take golf courses away because it's too exclusive and replace it with something that even less humans can use? Because you can't 'rewild' somewhere and let masses of humans use it.

If you're gonna do it, just turn them into green spaces, or better yet golf courses, which is open to the public, but you sign your life away if you get hit by a ball :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why would you suggest to take golf courses away because it's too exclusive and replace it with something that even less humans can use? Because you can't 'rewild' somewhere and let masses of humans use it.

If you're gonna do it, just turn them into green spaces, or better yet golf courses, which is open to the public, but you sign your life away if you get hit by a ball :)
No suggesting that they are devoid of flora and fauna because they are so managed and to let them grow with many different plants and trees would be better for the birds and bees.

DaGaffer

There's a lot of middle ground between sterile golf course and wild area off limits to humans.

DaGaffer

Golf courses are hardly sterile tbh, they probably encourage more wildlife than city parks do.

Apparently not. Some golf courses are making an effort to improve things but most have as much biodiversity as the Moon.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Theres masses of very short grass that is watered to keep it green. Thats fairly sterile

I had 9 holes of golf earlier after work. On my way round I saw shit loads of rabbits, a grouse/pheasant, a few geese, a couple of very lost cats, shedloads of birds, more trees of different types than I have any hope of identifying, and a very annoying bug when I was trying to putt out on the 7th.

Our local courses also tend to have more wildlife milling around them than the big fuck off AONB we have on our doorstep - although that may be all the dickheads on MTBs keep scaring the wildlife away from them.

OTOH I've just walked through a housing estate to the pub and seen fuck all. So why would that be better again?

Oh yes, because rich people play golf. Even though I played that 9 holes with someone who works for the local council and a gas fitter.

There are plenty of places in cities we could build more houses without fucking up people's hobbies. Yes golf does take a bit of space, but we aren't exactly short of it as @DaGaffer keeps pointing out.

// Edit the only part of golf courses that tend to get watered in the UK are the greens. Maybe the tees if the course are flashing the cash, but the rest of it is left.

Gwadien

Apparently not. Some golf courses are making an effort to improve things but most have as much biodiversity as the Moon.

I dunno, golf courses make an effort to be attractive which means diversity. I'd imagine the elite courses aren't the same but there's very wild parts of the golf courses around here.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I had 9 holes of golf earlier after work. On my way round I saw shit loads of rabbits, a grouse/pheasant, a few geese, a couple of very lost cats, shedloads of birds, more trees of different types than I have any hope of identifying, and a very annoying bug when I was trying to putt out on the 7th.

Our local courses also tend to have more wildlife milling around them than the big fuck off AONB we have on our doorstep - although that may be all the dickheads on MTBs keep scaring the wildlife away from them.

OTOH I've just walked through a housing estate to the pub and seen fuck all. So why would that be better again?

Oh yes, because rich people play golf. Even though I played that 9 holes with someone who works for the local council and a gas fitter.

There are plenty of places in cities we could build more houses without fucking up people's hobbies. Yes golf does take a bit of space, but we aren't exactly short of it as @DaGaffer keeps pointing out.

// Edit the only part of golf courses that tend to get watered in the UK are the greens. Maybe the tees if the course are flashing the cash, but the rest of it is left.
Dont get me wrong i liked playing golf back when i could. But there are an excessive number of courses tbh.

DaGaffer

The main problem with British (and Irish) golf courses is they use a fuckton of pesticides. The Golf Links nearest to me (400m as the crow flies) literally has tankers of the stuff in a vehicle park hidden away from the hotel guests. The nearest club in the opposite direction (about a mile) has actually done a good job of putting a deep tree border right around the club, deep enough to walk through most of it like a little forest, but its only to keep the proles from looking over the fence.

Bodhi

The main problem with British (and Irish) golf courses is they use a fuckton of pesticides. The Golf Links nearest to me (400m as the crow flies) literally has tankers of the stuff in a vehicle park hidden away from the hotel guests. The nearest club in the opposite direction (about a mile) has actually done a good job of putting a deep tree border right around the club, deep enough to walk through most of it like a little forest, but its only to keep the proles from looking over the fence.

No. They do not. Most of the pesticides you refer to are illegal in the UK now, hence most of the local courses struggling with leather jacket infestations, which the local crows happily dig into the greens to eat, leaving irritating holes all over them.

And even when they did use them, again, they were only used on the greens, which is an incredibly small area of the course itself.

The course you mention could have planted lots of trees around the borders to "keep the proles from looking in" as you say, however from my time actually being involved in running a golf club, you'll probably find it's more to stop errant golf balls from leaving the course and hitting people outside of it, as those insurance claims tend to get expensive.

Bodhi

Dont get me wrong i liked playing golf back when i could. But there are an excessive number of courses tbh.

If there are too many courses for the number of golfers in the area to play on, then the excess / rubbish courses will close due to lack of play and get effectively rewilded as a couple round here have.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
The market will sort it out /s

I have a wildish area nearby and its amazing, filled freezer with wild berries.

In danger of being cleared out because demand for housing here is outstripping rate people moving to city :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
People see farmland and think it's wild/countryside, when they can be one of the lowest biodiverse areas around. UK farmers are trying to set aside land for wild insects/plants because they are learning of the benefits of having insects, but it's not really enough. Encouraging wildlife, especially song birds and small mammals, can actually save farms money on pesticides and time/effort.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The local municipal golf course near me was abandoned by the council a few years back. It's now a very nice meadow. It's a good job really, the Conservative council proposed to open this space up to housing development. They were booted out of power in the local election because of this proposal, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom