The official 'stop being a potato and enjoy your life' thread.

leggy

Probably Scottish
All this talk of murdering children and planet death has got me way too depressed. We all need to stop worrying for at least one day and expand our horizons just a little. So put down your ps2 and xbox controllers, leave the keyboard alone, stop smoking that last doobie and switch off that bloody awful TV.

What I'd like is for everyone to share the most enjoyable and exciting experience of their lives. It has to be an out of the house activity and it can't be 'beating the last boss on ninja gaiden on hard mode'.

Please submit a post even if you don't think you've done anything great. Just getting out of the house and meeting new people is what it's all about.

So please.. give us all an opportunity to try something a little different and make our lives that little bit less boring:

Your most exciting experience on a POST card:

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I was working on campsites in Italy a few years ago... me and the other guys planned our day off on the same day, and we went into Rome, hired scooters.... and scootered about Rome for the day... 70 km according to the guy who we rented from....

Saw pretty much all of Rome (on the outside), and we had a few races through the traffic... and down narrow alleyways (I can never be scared again)... we also raced a monster Yamahah motercycle through the traffic around the stadia olympico. It was easily the coolest day of my life, and we finished off with a few drinks served by (hot female) Irish bartenders at the Druids Rock Irish Pub.

All in all, the greatest day of my life :worthy:

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I stayed with my dad until he drew his last breathe. Maybe a morbid reason but something I am proud of myself for, it gives me peace when I feel shit. He was my dad and I would not let him die alone. If I wasn't there I would feel eternally shit.

A close second is the birth of my son which will no doubt overtake my dads death, but the dad thing gives me a weird sort of smug feeling.

Sorry its the best I can do.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
The day I went abroad training to be a holiday rep. Meeting 120 odd new people from all over the world with my best mate was a fucking hoot.

Females were amazing, lots of booze, laughs and everything else you could think of. greatest 11 days of my life all packed together. Met friends that I felt closer to than my supposed real friends back home.

It was also a great turning point in my life, I was always a confident out going person but this let me see shit from another perspective. It really changed me I became a better person from it. I am really competitive (I would race you to take a shit and wash your hands) and my group won all of the set tasks through out the period of the week, they made me collect the prizes and say a speech because I was gobby as hell. However It kinda made me realise that winning wasnt everything because I had such a laugh with the other teams while doing the stuff I did not care anymore about winning.

I came away after the 11 days very humbled and sad that I was leaving behind a life all of my friends bar one had experienced and I felt different.

I left for my resort 3 days after arriving home from the training and was so pleased because I knew 3/4's of my Island team from the course. We partied hard and worked even harder, all the while meeting 100's of people from different back grounds and it was just out of this world.

I also met my current wife back then while working together which makes it even better. I also discovered a side of me that I regret to a certain extent, some gobby bloke from Liverpool had 2 pints of watered down beer and started hurling abuse at my then team mate (now wife) I told him to back off and he ran at me and grabbed me by the throat (I had never been in a fight before) so I punched him till he fell to the floor a security guard then came and took the guy away.

So I had the best 11 days of my life followed by a very close 9
fanfuckingtastic months.

There is a great world out there no matter what shit is going on, go out and live alittle, get drunk, make some mistakes, sleep with some hotties and fucking love it.

Stephen

Ormorof

FH is my second home
one of the greatest experiences ive had (out of house :D ) was when me and cousin went canoing in southern france and ended up going down these rapids backwards, we read it was 17km but it turned out it was 17km as the crow flies... took us bloody ages to get back along this winding, fast moving river :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
In the last month:

• Skydiving
  • Bungy jumping
  • Swimming with wild dolphins

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Best day of my life: When I went skydiving with my Dad. It was september 25th, 2005, a year and a half ago, yet I still get all excited whenever I talk about it :) I could talk about that day forever, so this post might go on a bit!

Seeing as my parents are seperated, and my dad lives 100 odd miles away, I dont get to do much father/son stuff, but my dad said he was orginising a sponsored skydive and I knew I had to have a go :D

On the day we got to the airfield about 9am, there were 11 of us doing the jump, me and my dad were on one of the last "lift's" of the day, so we ended up having to wait 6-7 hours before we could jump.

The wait was agonising, but I never thought of backing out, I knew I had to do it :) They called out our lift number over the loudspeaker and I looked at my Dad, he looked at me, he said "'bout that time then" and we both shrugged and walked into the hanger to get ready.

I was shaking in the hangar - really nervous, again the thought of backing out never crossed my mind, but I was scared at that point.

The walk down the taxiway to the plane was something I'll never forget.

Strangely enough, once I was on the plane, suddenly the fear just left me. I wasnt nervous at all. I cant really describe the feeling except to say that I felt "ready". I just got on with making sure I was ready - knowing what to do/what not to do when we jumped out etc. The camera guy came up to me and asked how I was doing, I was properly psyched up ready for it at that point, I replied "Bloody good cheers!".

They opened the door at 12000ft, two other guys went first, then my Dad, then it was my go, I sat on the edge of the door, the guy behind me edging further and further outside, untill I was outside the plane, only the straps stopping me falling the 12000ft down.

I put my arms across my chest and folded my head and legs back like they said to do, The guy I was tandem jumping with rocked forwards "One!" rocked backwards "Two!" then rocked forwards again, I didnt hear "THREE!" because I was too busy shouting "Ohhh SHIIIIiiiiiiiiiiii" as I suddenly found myself facing the ground, two miles below me. It felt like the moment you go over the edge of a rollercoaster, multiplied by a thousand. I found myself entranced by the look of the ground untill the tandem guy tapped my left shoulder - meaning I needed to put my head up, then tapped my right shoulder, meaning I needed to put my arms out into the freefall position from the exiting position, this I did and then things got a little less extreme, the rollercoaster feeling left and from then on it felt like the natural thing in the world, I had a little trouble breathing, my goggles partially came off but I was fine, just looking around at the ground, it didnt really seem to be "rushing up" at me anymore, the freefall actually felt kinda relaxing almost, apart from the roaring noise and all that.

All too soon I saw the guy waving his hands, signalling that he was about to pull his chute, I just had time to put my arms back across my chest, a momentary feeling like someone was gently pulling me by the scruff of my neck and then I found myself sitting at roughly 4000ft, in total silence.

"so, you're a skydiver!" the voice behind me said, I cant really remember what i said back, was something between "yea, cool" and "holy shit!" I believe. we went over a wind farm, a fairly big road and what looked like a housing estate, all in almost complete silence, the guy telling me to have a go at steering the chute, then all too soon we ended up over the airfield, the ground suddenly seemed to rush up at us quickly, a slight bump, we unbalanced and fell, I felt myself being pulled up by several people asking if i was ok, all I could say was "Get me a drink!"

We got sorted, I walked over to where my dad had landed, we shook hands, laughing and I felt like I'd just 'won' RL. :D

Best.Day.Evar!

Interestingly enough I was mildly afriad of heights when I did this, dont seem to be anywhere near as bad now! Trying to do it again soon, sadly my mum hates me doing stuff like that so I'm having to arrange it on the quiet, dont tell her please!

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Getting married....

Apart from that, going ot the US when i was 21 with my best mates from school, went Vegas - LA - SF - Chicago - NYC. Spent a month out there, was fantastic.

The first time i managed to run 10k, especially as i had to push myself that time.

When someone admires one of my photographs. And seeing my photographs in magazines (although only a couple so far)

Getting my first academic paper published

Gray

FH is my second home
You know. You've made me think of this now and god dammit, i really cant think of any brilliant times ive experienced in a sense. Only yearly trips to Newquay which stopped about 8 years ago

And i cant think of anything else -.-, dammit

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah; similarly, I am actually almost as much of a loser as throdgrain's accused me of being, which is pretty neato. I probably shouldn't be in this thread at all. Oh well!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah mate, to be honest its obvious you are a loser, you should really sort yourself out , stop feeling sorry for yourself and go outside. You never know, it may work, you could end up getting a shag or something.

Me, Ive done loads of things, but recently one thing that lifted me up was riding my bike from crawley to plymouth to san sebastian to barcelona to toulouse to chateau briant then back to crawley. Did it in 6 days, 2700 miles, with 5 or 6 other people, nothing but a bike and a wallet. Utter, absolute freedom, ride all day and drink half the night. Riding from San Sebastian to Barcelona along the base of the Pyranees is something Ill never forget.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah I've already explained ages ago why I'm fucked. I seem to remember you even expressed pity back then - woah! And I kind of didn't really expect you to stoop quite so low as to patronise me that far, but okay. If we're having a go, I wish you could argue better, as you can't for shit. Your arguments consist of calling people names and explaining that you're "just right" which you can surely see doesn't come across as partiuclarly convincing. I don't really want to derail this thread, and I don't actually think you're really all that bad, I just think you get too hot-headed to be able to explain anything about your own reasoning. At all.

But of course, me being a complete contemptuous loser, my concession to this and attempt to calm down this particular episode probably won't mean anything.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
in an aside, I've met Louster, as he was the only person besides Will and myself to turn up at the Edinburgh Freddybeer, and Will and I didn't count because we were there anyway, and we'd even made it extra hard because Will broke his phone and couldn't be reached. Not that that means anything ofc, but it does take a certain measure of bravoure to go out into a city you don't know well and meet up with people off the interweb who you've never met (and may be weirdos). Takes all sorts you know.

anyway, my most exciting experience? well, I suppose that it was the bungee in New Zealand that DaGaffer's just been to. I did the high one, like him, and it's amazing. The experience certainly changed me, and I felt extremely alive that day. What made it even more amazing was that my mate Erwin went with me, to see me off the gondola, and he's very very afraid of heights and stood in a clear-bottomed gondola 200 meters over a gorge to watch his mate, me, do a 134 meter bungee jump.

Second most exciting experience was also with my mate Erwin, where he got a flying lesson for his birthday and he asked me to come along. The instructor took us up, and then Erwin got to fly a circuit around the airport after which the pilot took us down again. Though the weather was fine, it was windy, and we were in a very small plane. In the back seat I was quite aware of the wind and the difference between the angle of the wings and the horizon, and the great surety that in an emergency there prolly wouldn't be enough of me left to butter a toastie with. Very exciting indeed.

An exciting thing that's coming up in the near future is sharing a home with my gf. That's scary and exciting and makes me feel very good inside.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Leggy admiration for the post first btw.

I truely hope the intanet is a beautiful place from now on.

It wont be but ill try to add goodness.

shit club. really shitty local club and maybe kryten knows of the place. Anyway, after a few hours of kossaking (yes i can) decided that the ugly sluts that liked my dancing werent really marriage material so i went home with my madame. She just told me she loved me again. And i like it today, because my lady is the only person on the planet that would tell me when being a cock and acknowledge it and appreciate the humour at 1.59 am. sHES NOW IN BED NOT WAITING FOR ME. (EXCUSE CASPL OCK). I love this girl massively , seven years together and no mention of kids, marriage or well stuff. She loves me, and thats that.

How utterly fucking gay i am.

gn xx

Decided to go home with my madame lmost comes across like i ahad a choice. Glad i dont. :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
can i stretch a day to 2 weeks?

the best time of my life is when i went to mexico. i had no say in the matter! i got phoned by friends asking if i want to book with them, they did ofcourse book it already and were just being polite. cue the next day where i was applying for loans.
i did ofcourse get the loan, and paid the 850 quid off for 2 weeks of what i didnt realise would be the greatest days of my life. i then quested to save 800~ spending money.later that year i was right there in cancun, in the 45 degree heat, sweating like i didnt know was possible. a place i never thought i could go.

what followed can only be described as the biggest bonding session known to man. people i went with, i didnt know. people i met, i didnt realise would be my greatest friends. times i had? you get the picture, i didnt know such things were possible and inside the realms of what we know as "fun". there is more, but i feel its outside the scope of this thread.

2 years later, these people i didnt know have become my closest friends. sadly one of them moved to blackburn, but while he was here i couldnt of asked for a better person. another one of them, i see all the time and amazingly only lives 10 minutes round the corner. one of the people i met, i eventually fell in love with but it never worked out. the other one became the partner of one of the lads i didnt know beforehand (but eventually split up). all sounds gay, but these are lads i truley love, and would do what ever possible for them if they asked it of me.

i learned so much and gained a hell of a lot more.

this whole thing then lead to visits to these ladies. which lead to meeting more people and sharing very personal moments. they traveled here, we traveled there. bonds were made that could not be broken no matter what.

im not entirely sure where im going with this, or if its even relevant to what leggy is asking of us.

id like to think you could take some kind of moral from this. possibly to live for the moment (to coin a much used phrase). do things you wouldnt normally do, dont care about fiscal things like money, in the end what you gain is worth an infinite amount more (maybe :))

i have also beaten MGS and got the bandana AND the cloaking suit. and ive beat it for other people as they couldnt do it :D

throd: maybe you could of kept the personal bashing out of this? it is meant to be a 'happy' thread afterall :\

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Tris, if you read this thread Im sure you'll find that the first reference is from Louster to me. Ive actually tried quite hard to ignore wanky comments from him in the past, in the interest of web site harmony, however it is quite difficult. Now he pushes it futher regularly, he cant help but get a reply. I dont know if you noticed, but I dont take such stuff very well ;)

Louster, I actually did mean that in a odd kind of way, perhaps if you went out and got a life you might be able to formulate some opinions of your own
instead of reguritating shit you've read on web sites. Having the ability to paste from other web sites doesnt make you right does it? Regardless of how well you can or cant argue it.

Dukat (pikey) your post is the best so far I think mate, nice one, sounds great :) (But you wont get me doing it, scares the crap out of me :) )

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Dukat (pikey) your post is the best so far I think mate, nice one, sounds great :) (But you wont get me doing it, scares the crap out of me :) )

:cheers:

I thought I was going to get "forum bashed" for it as I just read the last bit in leggy's post:

Your most exciting experience on a POST card:

bloody big post cards where I come from you see! :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
:cheers:

I thought I was going to get "forum bashed" for it as I just read the last bit in leggy's post:

"Your most exciting experience on a POST card:"

bloody big post cards where I come from you see! :D

Heh no, I emphasised post because it was a forum post you would reply with. You see what cleverness I did to you all??? Ok it was rubbish :(

Please stop arguing!!! I want to feel some love!

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
On holiday in Japan on my own. Getting the bus from the airport to my hotel in Tokyo thinking "wtf... i'm in Japan.... on my own. THIS IS FUCKING GREAT".

The 2nd day - getting utterly fucking lost for hours, and talking to so many random people.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How can i type on this thread if i don't use the keyboard? :eek7:

Anyhoop, i went to the shop and bought cheese, that was nice.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
On holiday in Japan on my own. Getting the bus from the airport to my hotel in Tokyo thinking "wtf... i'm in Japan.... on my own. THIS IS FUCKING GREAT".

The 2nd day - getting utterly fucking lost for hours, and talking to so many random people.

That sounds fucking awesome actually. How long were you there for, what sort of stuff did you do. Is it an expensive place to stay?

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
I was only there two weeks. I plan to go back there for a month spring next year. It was quite expensive to stay there when I went, but then I stayed in Shinjuku. I will be able to do it a lot cheaper next time.

On my second week there I met up with a friend I have been emailing for years which was really cool. However most of the time I just spent walking around random places after I'd seen the main attractions. In the morning I'd decide what station to go to and then walk randomly from there until I was knackered. The transport is so good that wherever I finished I could be back in my hotel 30 mins later.

I went at just the right time of year and ended up at a few hanami in Ueno Park (bizarre people there on weekends!) which was a great way of meeting even more random people. Even people that didn't speak a drop of english would invite you into their group, and force beer down your throat.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Louster, I actually did mean that in a odd kind of way, perhaps if you went out and got a life you might be able to formulate some opinions of your own
instead of reguritating shit you've read on web sites. Having the ability to paste from other web sites doesnt make you right does it? Regardless of how well you can or cant argue it.

You honestly don't know shit about my life - the fact that I'm a loser actually turns out to be entirely justifiable, funnily enough. And I simply find talking about why we exist the way we do far more interesting than mindlessly agreeing that something is digusting. I'm flattered you think I'm "pasting this stuff from other websites", but I'd also point out that calling people "fucking simple" hardly makes you right either - regardless of how many times you repeat it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah mate, to be honest its obvious you are a loser, you should really sort yourself out , stop feeling sorry for yourself and go outside. You never know, it may work, you could end up getting a shag or something.

I always assumed that behind that daily mail rhetoric you were a decent enough chap. You really are a fuckwit.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Keep on topic on this one guys please... I'll be doing some harsh editing if this continues.

I'll post my best moment when I feel a bit calmer :eek:

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing really jumps out at me recently...however...
-james asking me to move in with him
-james telling me he loved me for the first time
-qualifying from uni to do nursing
-seeing a ceasarian section during my training
-the priviledges and experiences i get to have just from doing my job - for example, when something thanks you for being there when their child dies becuase you've made the experience easier for them.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
-the priviledges and experiences i get to have just from doing my job - for example, when something thanks you for being there when their child dies becuase you've made the experience easier for them.

my gf, who is a nurse, says much the same thing. I can get my head round it but I know that it would take me apart. Maybe that is why I am not a nurse :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom