Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
My attitude is who cares, let's just enjoy the season :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yep, roll on 2010! Hopefully in HD. :)

(if FOM sort their equipment out)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's going to depend on how the car turns out at the start of the season, I think.

Jenson has been a bit vocal this season when the Brawn hasn't been working well, and obviously is more sensitive to the car than some other drivers. I think if he is in a car that performs to a good (not great) standard, but consistently, he is at his best, but he doesn't react well to variations in the car handling.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is a driver who will wring the neck of a car that isn't consistent and still drive it on the edge but often with disastrous results.

If the car is variable we could see Jenson getting decent consistent points scoring results and Hamilton falling off the track on some, winning on others. Give them both a really good McClaren which handles consistently, I think Button will get to grips with it and we're in for a close competition.

Either way, I have to say I think it's an exciting development for the fans and I'm really looking forward to next season :clap:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It's going to depend on how the car turns out at the start of the season, I think.

Jenson has been a bit vocal this season when the Brawn hasn't been working well, and obviously is more sensitive to the car than some other drivers. I think if he is in a car that performs to a good (not great) standard, but consistently, he is at his best, but he doesn't react well to variations in the car handling.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is a driver who will wring the neck of a car that isn't consistent and still drive it on the edge but often with disastrous results.

If the car is variable we could see Jenson getting decent consistent points scoring results and Hamilton falling off the track on some, winning on others. Give them both a really good McClaren which handles consistently, I think Button will get to grips with it and we're in for a close competition.

Either way, I have to say I think it's an exciting development for the fans and I'm really looking forward to next season :clap:

Its more about how the car has been set up in the first place. As you say, Hamilton has an aggressive driving style and McLaren have developed a car around that, in a similar way to Ferrari when Schumacher was there (all the no.2 drivers said it was difficult to get the most out of a Schumacher-car). Button favours a smoother approach which may not work with the car as effectively. On the other hand, McLaren have been in exactly this situation before in Senna/Prost era, and that seemed to work out OK for both drivers.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Hellaye. First most people rubbished the slight chance of Jenson joining McLaren.

Schumacher in Mercedes? Again, a slight chance- but it does make sense if he's willing and fit enough. Stopgap whilst they wait for Vettel.
It still raises eyebrows in the "no, we're not looking for a german team, honest!" camp but I'd love to see it. Schumacher, Button, Hamilton, Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Webber, Rosberg - thats many names capable of championship contention depending on their vehicles.

And Ross Brawn + Schumacher reunited - with no refuelling that a little advantage removed but those two have a connection not many can make. 2 genius work with eachother.

Kryten

Old Cow.
happy days, the kamikaze king is back :D
Sure to follow in the footsteps of Sato and Katayama! :D

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Great news - another flying fighter into the mix in a (hopefully) decent car... next season is really shaping up nicely, I just hope the rule changes on no-refuelling don't scupper the fun we could have! :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It'll be back to the days when mechanic cockups were way more noticeable and we're on 4-5s pit stops.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Schumacher will have never faced the competition he has now. Of course the start of the season could come round and once again everyone finds they can't even get a sniff of the Mercedes cars. But that's unlikely this time around. With the Red Bulls and McLarens on the charge, Ferrari and "Renault" constantly improving and some good drivers having sniffs of BMW - there's a hell of a lot more general talent in quick cars. He won't have it easy by any stretch, although you have to admit, there will be no other pairing in motorsport anywhere near as potent and brimming with possibilities as Schumacher and Brawn.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Indeed - and that's bloody good news. Can't wait for next season now. Lots of hugely talented drivers battling it out in decent cars. Oh, and possibly Roman Grosjean too. ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
*rubs hands in glee*

This has such great potential for next season, I hope the rule changes don't impeed the fun :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So - first testing underway and new cars revealed.....

Schumie seems to have some pace and Massa certainly is looking up for it... as Mrs J says 'he certainly seems to have got a spring to him' :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The most interesting thing I noticed was that Schumacher was putting faster laps in than Rosberg ( his team mate ) who is definitely no slouch.

Seems like he's got the pace vs the top of the talent still, just depends if his car is competitive vs the rest of the field.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Session Times:

Unofficial Monday test times from Valencia:
1. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:12.574, 102 Laps
2. Pedro de la Rosa, BMW Sauber, 1:12.784, 74 Laps
3. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP, 1:12.947, 40 Laps
4. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes GP, 1:13.543, 39 Laps
5. Gary Paffett, McLaren, 1:13.846, 86 Laps
6. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:14.449, 75 Laps
7. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 1:14.762, 18 Laps
8. Robert Kubica, Renault, 1:15.000, 69 Laps

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
The most interesting thing I noticed was that Schumacher was putting faster laps in than Rosberg ( his team mate ) who is definitely no slouch.

Seems like he's got the pace vs the top of the talent still, just depends if his car is competitive vs the rest of the field.

I should add a disclaimer to all of this that it really is too early to draw any hard conclusions for the season.... but we can have some speculation and comment all the same :)

Apparently Rosberg's seat isn't quite right and he is too low in the car, according to Brawn.

On paper, the Sauber in Pedro de la Rosa's hands is looking pretty tasty.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Noone knows how much fuel they were carrying, if they were just doing glory laps or actual testing.

Looking for for Schumi though - tantalising season coming up, I reckon.

Lot's of sharp noses too - and I'm not even talking about Kubica :)

leviathane

Part of the furniture
the thing is i've always rated pedro del la rosa, only problem is he seems to always get a drive in a shit car, or be the test driver. Let's hope he shows what he's worth this season. Although personally i wanna see schuie kick some ass tbh.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Alonso and Hamilton arrived to test today.

Having said that, all these times are worth bollocks all. In reality we know nothing until after the first race.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Exactly. As above, no idea what setups, what fuel loads, if they're just prancing about or actually pushing hard - lots of ifs and buts.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I can see Alonso being dominant for the next few seasons.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
New Ferrari looks very shark-like while the McLaren is just plain odd looking. Who will dominate out of Alonso/Hamilton/Button/Schuey? I think it will be more of an ego-war on the back pages than wheel to wheel stuff this season.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
The new Virgin Racing car looks amazing... until it goes out into the light :(.

Darken up the black and it'd be a phenominally good looking car.

As for whos going to win? Nobody knows but personally I'd like to see Button, Massa and Schumacher all to do well. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom