Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
As if Friday practice ever tells us anything =/

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
:england: nice one hamilton !

but it wouldve been funny to see fisichella moved to ferrari at 14th and sutil at Pole. But 2nd is still damm good for Force India

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Best q I've seen in a long time, q3 was excellent!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yep - some impressive performances in there... great fun :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Fun Q3, last weeks was good as well, love Sutil being in second, I hope raikkonen, Hamilton, and Kovaleinen all smash at the first corner in one giant KERS ball and Sutil wins :p

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Fun Q3, last weeks was good as well, love Sutil being in second, I hope raikkonen, Hamilton, and Kovaleinen all smash at the first corner in one giant KERS ball and Sutil wins :p

haha yeah, also i think Sutil will be about 5th after the first corner when the KER's ppl prepare for take off at the start :p shoule be a good watch either way.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
It was good tactic's by brawn today, funny to see hamilton screw up on the last lap :p bit harsh to

ECA

I am a FH squatter
At least you can say Hamiltons a pure racer.
I lolled though because Kovaleinen underperformed so badly, but at least he can say he finished better than Hamilton for once.

Kryten

Old Cow.
True, hamilton really put his heart into that race and just tried too hard in the end. Who can blame him for trying.

Pleased for Rubens as usual, great person and a great driver. Looking forward to even more from the Force India guys :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
In addition to Campos, Manor and US F1 it looks like Lotus will be racing next season and there will be 14 teams on the grid! 28 cars in a race seems insane to me but hopefully it will just raise the awesome levels some more.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Looks like BMW held off their announcement of being bought out which has allowed Lotus entry, thus loosing them their spot. Gotta laugh really even if they will eventually get let back in somehow anyway :D

As for Hamilton, it was a plain retarded thing to do. He was catching between 0.2 and 0.3 seconds a lap and was a second behind coming into the last lap...I guarantee if anyonelse had of done it they would have been slated by the commentators. Comments like this still really bug me.

"I'm just a racer. I'm more a hardcore racer than most people anticipate."

Jesus christ, how about a little humility for christ sakes. And then people wonder why he's disliked...

As for the race, it was a great one :D The last two races I've taken to having a screen for the main race (Radio 5 commentary all the way, I've just got fed up with Jonathan Legard cocking everything up constantly) and another with the onboard cameras. Much better to see manouvers from more then one angle. :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
BMW have been given the 14th spot which means if someone drops out they get back in ( apparently been bought by rich arabs ), or the grid could get expanded to 14 slots.

fwiw Kirennia I'm not sure where you see arrogance in Hamiltons statement? It's true he just loves to race.... He never takes the backseat and I like that someone is always competetive rather than having no ballsack ( Hi kovaleinen ).

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hamilton was nailing it - from where he sat there was a Brawn ahead by just over a second and he would have wanted to apply pressure to maybe force a mistake. If he was in a championship contending position then it would be stupid, but under these circumstances I think it shows a never give up attitude.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If he was in a championship contending position then it would be stupid, but under these circumstances I think it shows a never give up attitude.
Exactly, he didn't have anything to lose. I would much rather see a driver pushing it right up to the end even if it doesn't look like he will gain a place on paper - as Jup said he could of pushed Button into making a mistake. In the last 10 laps, he was gaining on Button more than Button was gaining on Barrichello so it wasn't completely unrealistic.

And kirennia, as you were listening to the 5 live commentary (which I also much prefer to Brundle and Legard) you presumably heard Anthony Davidson calling Hamilton a fool?

Kryten

Old Cow.
He tried his hardest, then went a bit too hard. Made a mistake, human thing. I'm personally glad he at least tried for it. 3rd is great, considering Mclarens form this year. 2nd is better - and out of anyone on the grid able to pull that sort of thing off, Hamilton is one of very very few that will have the guts to at least try. Everyone else would have given up long before.

Plus, noone really mentioned his Schumacher-esque qualifying-race session. The only way he could make 2 stops work was to put in qualifying lap after qualifying lap at the start. He very nearly pulled it off, even with adjusted fuel loads, he was ripping shreds out of every other driver on the circuit.

More importantly than just Hamilton though, the entire race was bloody enjoyable to watch. Close qualifying, close racing. Just a shame there wasn't a better result at the end for the Force India chaps, who so much deserve it.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Exactly, he didn't have anything to lose.

Nothing to lose? He lost a fucking podium place! Stuff like that is very important for the team and sponsors. If 3rd is nothing because he isn't fighting for the championship, then fighting to get 2nd would be stupid as the extra points mean 'nothing'.

It really did show that even though he is quick, Hamilton is still inexperienced. There's no real excuse for such an epic fuck-up on the last lap. Imagine Kimi doing the same -- EJ would have been calling for Ferarri to drop him on the spot.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
it was a completely stupid thing to do, i bet he got a nice lil word from the team director after that. He was never gonna get button 3rd woulda been some nice points for the team in what is an open battle in the constructors championship. Points=places=more moneyz.

Having said that, it really did give me a good laugh atleast. Haven't seen anyone blow it like that on the last lap for ageeeeeeees.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Renault are "not disputing" Piquet's claims. Yowzers. :\

leviathane

Part of the furniture
wonder if that opens them up to being thrown out and bmw taking their place next year.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wow! What a colossal balls up this all is :)

I'm not really suprised to see them effectively found guilty as it has been very clear the FIA certainly thought there was a strong case to answer.

With regards BMW, even if Renault are allowed to continue there could be a chance as the FIA are trying to solicit the teams to agree the grid expansion to include them next year anyway... I hope they get back in, tbh :)

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
I'd quite like it if there was 3 cars per team as well. Imagine 42 cars on the track! :D

I'd also quite like to see Schumie back in the seat, and some other drivers given a chance to race. Would certainly make it a bit more interesting to watch, but I've quite enjoyed the races recently with Force India up-front.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If Alonso walks away from this with no punishment I will be super unhappy.
He was obviously complicit with his pit stop strategy.

Blah.,

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If Alonso walks away from this with no punishment I will be super unhappy.
He was obviously complicit with his pit stop strategy.

Blah.,

I'd love to see Alonso kicked in the charlies too, but I don't think he was complicit in this one.... he gave the whole thing away with his comments after the race if he did know about it... or maybe he IS that stupid... or maybe it was a double bluff.... :m00:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
How many 3 stop pit strategies do you see from people starting 14th on the grid?
It's just an insane pit strategy that would _never ever_ be used unless you KNOW you're going to pit right before the safety car comes out because with ANY simulation except that it comes out worse than any 1 or 2 stop strategy no matter how good a driver you are.

It's just incomprehensible that he would ever use that strategy without foreknowledge that he was going to gain a huge advantage.
It's like claiming fox news is fair and balanced.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'm not sure, and don't think anyoen can be particularly sure if Alonso was involved. I don't want to see him, as much as I dislike him, punished unfairly.

However this wasn't a huge surprise. Briatore and Symmonds have quite likely been running the scandal racket for years. It's very likely indeed they also orchestrated many similar incidents over the years including the infamous Hill/Schumacher incident in 1994.

Bye bye, Renault. Was good while it lasted.
Now let's just see how Ferrari crowbar Alonso into the 3rd car they're not allowed to have :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
How are you not sure?
You do realise the drivers/engineers have the majority of input on race strategy right?

It's just not remotely conceivable that Alonso didn't know.
It's like trying to argue Hitler didn't know they were gassing jews or something similarly staggeringly inane. [head assplosion gif here]

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I confess to not remembering much about the race except thinking "wow cool, night race" :) but this would suggest that Alonso only pitted twice (and started from 15th, not 14th), and this is just quite cool to look at. Alonso pit > Piquet crash > pitstopmayhem.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I'm sure that Alonso only pitted twice, and that they just made the first stop a few laps early; there are many possible, reasonable reason for this.

The thing is though this must have been worked out prior to the race, there's no way that instructions could have been got to Piquet during, but I would love to here the radio from pits to Alonso for those couple of laps.

On balance I think that he probably was aware, but Renault have sacrificed their lambs, and they'll now close ranks to protect him anyway so I guess we'll never know.

RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom