Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Really great season and race.

I hope the Brawn remain competitive next season and the new teams make things more exciting.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Yep, congrats to Button. I'm so glad that he was fighting and aggressive yesterday with his overtaking, not only did it make great watching, but it means that he won the drivers championship in style.

Anyone got any comments on Koyabashi? He was a complete nutter, moving around in the braking zones, but it made for some great TV, especially when Naka and him were side-by-side...

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Button is seriously one of the least talented drivers to have won a world championship. He won it early in the season when Brawn had a huge advantage. Even Rubens bettered him in the 2nd half, and he is well past his prime.

I hope McLaren and Ferrari get their act together next season.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone got any comments on Koyabashi? He was a complete nutter, moving around in the braking zones, but it made for some great TV, especially when Naka and him were side-by-side...

Kobayashi was brilliant. Yes, a bit erratic at times, but good for someone with no F1 experience. Many F1 newcomers have failed hard this season, hell, Fisi couldn't manage moving between teams!

I think he'll have a seat at Toyota next season.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's funny because if Honda hadn't of panicked they would have almost won the titles in Japan and had an engaging battle with Toyota which would have played well in Japan.

Japanese glory was converted to British glory, not that I'm complaining that much :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Toyota to leave F1. BMW to take 14th slot?

May not get to see Koyabashi race :(

Not surprising at all. A mate of mine is a Director for Lexus and he told me Toyota HQ lost faith in the F1 project years ago and had already decided their exit plan as far back as 2006. Its not a bad thing, the best eras of F1 have always been when it was mainly privateer teams with manufacturers just supplying engines.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Sauber are the first reserve to fill any more spots so Id expect them to be in again. The other 4 new teams, apparently two of them are very doubtfull so could be an on off winter coming up.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It would be a shame if Kobayashi doesn't get a drive next season, maybe mclaren/brawn could pick him up.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
I doubt either of them will do that, Brawn looks like keeping Button and adding Rosberg, Mclaren will probably add Raikkonen to there lot. Wouldnt be suprised if someone picked him up tho, he looks like a proper F1 driver after only two races.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Brawn can't afford Button, Mclaren dont want to pay Raikkonnen what he's asking.

Button could go to Mclaren and Brawn couuld get Kobayashi+xxx.

I think Brawn getting rid of Barichello is dumb as hell though, he's very very good.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Always been a bit of a makeweight though hasnt he. Always seems to be 2nd best when given a chance.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
ECA said:
I think Brawn getting rid of Barichello is dumb as hell though, he's very very good.

He really ain't anymore. Brawn need to improve their driver lineup. Next season, if Kimi goes to McLaren, they along with Ferrari and Red Bull will have the 6 fastest drivers on the grid. Then you have Rosberg and maybe Kubica who are even with or faster than Button and Barrichello.

They can't rely on having a huge advantage over the other teams again, and that's the only reason they won anything.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Button is seriously one of the least talented drivers to have won a world championship. He won it early in the season when Brawn had a huge advantage. Even Rubens bettered him in the 2nd half, and he is well past his prime.

I hope McLaren and Ferrari get their act together next season.

I'm sorry but this is horseshit. Button has always been a damn good racer - OK his head dropped in 2008 with that pig of a Honda - but apart from that he has always been class.

O.K he had a huge car advantage at the start of the season, but so did Rubens? And what did he do with it exactly? By the time Rubens had got his act together Button was out of sight, and basically just had to nurse it home through the last few races, which he did admirably. Then to top it off in Brazil he overtook more people in the race than the rest of the grid have combined all season.

Pretty deserving champion imo. His silky smooth style only disguises how fucking rapid he really is.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I did say in that post that I thought Rubens was well past his prime, and you go on and use him as proof of how good Button is? Haha.

Kryten

Old Cow.
It's not always about the car OR the driver. Sometimes it's the mixture of both. You could get Jenson alongside Hamilton in the McLaren and he'll undoubtedly be the next Kovaleinen, just reliably hopping alongside lewis mopping up 2nd places here and there. It's not to say he's no good, it's to say very often you get drivers and car combinations that just "fit". Lewis and the McLaren. Button and the Brawn. Fisichella and the Force In... oh, yeah ;)

Button is without doubt a talented driver. He's pulled a lot of stunning moves throughout the season, put in some very Schumacher-esque drives to win races he shouldn't have stood a chance in, made moves that most other drivers wouldn't bother with "just in case". I hugely admire Brawn for all they've done this season and will continue to be a fan of them. I've hugely enjoyed the fact they've had the 2 smoothest drivers in F1 this season and as a result I'm a little sad to see Barrichello move to Williams. The ol' guy is hella good, and it's a shame he'll never win a championship, always playing second fiddle.
I'm just a sucker for a human being in the sport, and all-in-all I'm overjoyed to be watching an era of F1 where, despite the politics and Tilke's fuckwitted track design, we're watching the likes of Webber, Barrichello, Button, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen all racing eachother with some other drivers snapping at the heels of a good drive to prove their own worth - or again, like Alonso, Kobayashi, Fisichella, Rosberg etc.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
It's not always about the car OR the driver. Sometimes it's the mixture of both. You could get Jenson alongside Hamilton in the McLaren and he'll undoubtedly be the next Kovaleinen, just reliably hopping alongside lewis mopping up 2nd places here and there. It's not to say he's no good, it's to say very often you get drivers and car combinations that just "fit". Lewis and the McLaren. Button and the Brawn. Fisichella and the Force In... oh, yeah ;)

Button is without doubt a talented driver. He's pulled a lot of stunning moves throughout the season, put in some very Schumacher-esque drives to win races he shouldn't have stood a chance in, made moves that most other drivers wouldn't bother with "just in case". I hugely admire Brawn for all they've done this season and will continue to be a fan of them. I've hugely enjoyed the fact they've had the 2 smoothest drivers in F1 this season and as a result I'm a little sad to see Barrichello move to Williams. The ol' guy is hella good, and it's a shame he'll never win a championship, always playing second fiddle.
I'm just a sucker for a human being in the sport, and all-in-all I'm overjoyed to be watching an era of F1 where, despite the politics and Tilke's fuckwitted track design, we're watching the likes of Webber, Barrichello, Button, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen all racing eachother with some other drivers snapping at the heels of a good drive to prove their own worth - or again, like Alonso, Kobayashi, Fisichella, Rosberg etc.

Im not a Fonzo fan (always been Schumi tifoso) but puting him in the same bag than Fisico and Kobayashi..... no... just no...

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Alonso proved his worth a long time ago.

Button and the Brawn wasn't a match made in heaven, anyone could have won in that car. Once the double diffuser advantage was nullified, Button showed just how average he is. And he did a lot of overtaking BECAUSE HE WAS SHIT AT QUALIFYING!

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Well if Button does go to McLaren, everyone will see just how average he is.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Could be damned interesting :D
Let's just hope Lewis and Jenson continue to get on well when they're in the same team. Thankfully neither has the temperament of Alonso so shouldn't cause an issue. 2 very different driving styles, 2 distinct racers. Could be some great action if Jenson can get used to the car - or if he is indeed anywhere near Hamilton in performance terms in the same (?) car.

On the other side of the coin, I'm a little bit miffed. I really, really like Brawn for everything they've managed this season, I liked them being a British team run by a British certified genius in Britain. Now they're German. Hopefully they do keep their promise and keep Fry and Brawn on, and remain in Brackley - the impact they have on local employment is huge - the town has been positively buzzing all year with Brawn's success and there's barely a person there who isn't aware of what's gone on.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Could be damned interesting :D
Let's just hope Lewis and Jenson continue to get on well when they're in the same team. Thankfully neither has the temperament of Alonso so shouldn't cause an issue. 2 very different driving styles, 2 distinct racers. Could be some great action if Jenson can get used to the car - or if he is indeed anywhere near Hamilton in performance terms in the same (?) car.

On the other side of the coin, I'm a little bit miffed. I really, really like Brawn for everything they've managed this season, I liked them being a British team run by a British certified genius in Britain. Now they're German. Hopefully they do keep their promise and keep Fry and Brawn on, and remain in Brackley - the impact they have on local employment is huge - the town has been positively buzzing all year with Brawn's success and there's barely a person there who isn't aware of what's gone on.

For a smooth driver to join McLaren along with Hamilton... personally I think he'll be ending his career if he makes that move.

I'm not going to sit here and judge which is the better driver, all I know is that they both need completely different cars to drive so the question needed to be asked is, who would McLaren back? I'm not talking about giving them the different equipment or anything like that, more how are they intending on developing the car?

As shown more-so in the last 10 years, cars are produced which favour particular driving profiles and having two very different drivers, someone is going to get the short end of things. I personally don't think Button will be able to adjust his driving style quickly enough with testing throttling in a team which is essentially built around its current wonderboy. If Raikkonen doesn't get the spot, I'll be surprised and worried for Jenson no matter what I think of the drivers.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I just pointed out in another forum that Jenson's driving style may not suit the McLaren at all - the same would go for Alonso in the Big Reds.

Anyway:

Jenson Button agrees to join McLaren on three-year, £6m-a-year deal | Sport | guardian.co.uk

As from 10pm last night, that looks like a done deal - but can't see any other sources as yet. Checked around all the usual publications and only the Guardian appears to have that story. I have been hearing local gossip that Jenson had a deal on the table with McLaren yesterday but didn't want to say anything until something more substantial was brought to light.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well it's official. Hamilton will wipe the floor with Button, surely. :)

*hope*

Kryten

Old Cow.
More than likely, but there's a few things to consider.

People have harped on about it being Hamiltons team for ages. It's true to effect, he's been there in one way or another since his early teens. But people forget there are 2 sides to a garage.
So, who's on the other side. A bunch of no hopers?
No. The senior engineers drafted in to get Alonso up there a couple of seasons ago. And they've been stuck with Kovaleinen mopping up a few points. They could well be hugely motivated again this year, fingers get pulled out and Jenson could find himself driving a decent car.

The question therefore is, can McLaren build a car Jenson can drive? Lewis wrestles the fuck out of cars, and that works out rather well, sometimes. Jenson is as smooth as they come - worked wonders with a Brawn, what about in a different beast entirely?

Interesting times ahead.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
If a car is good, truly talented drivers will drive it well. I feel like all of this differing styles stuff is just the start of the excuses for when Jenson can't match Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom