Sex The Buy a boat?! Thread.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've always harboured an idea that I'd like to live on a boat. Sail the high seas, shoot at pirates, plunder booty* and the like.

For this, I would need a boat big enough for a tall bloke not to feel like he was a canned sardine.

I wondered what I could get if I blew 100 grand on one and Gaff came back with this:

You could get a second-hand sailing yacht around 40-45m. 100K seems to be about the going rate. Of course the cost of running a boat is the real killer.
3863353_-1_20120304232254_19_0.jpg

But also this:

I get the impression from various people I've known with boats down the years that its a bit like owning a football team; a good way to turn a large fortune into a small one.

My ex-wife is now the office manager for a boat yard in the south of France, I'm sure I could get some real figures for you if you like.

So, yep to Gaff (of course).

But also, does anyone else have boating knowledge? Know anyone who does? Want a boat of your own? Been on holiday one one? Share it!

Basically. Anything boats. I can't see it being a big thread tbfh, but you never know :)

*yes, I'd take the bird

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A mate of mine lives on a boat, he loves it. That's a canal boat though... The upkeep on it isn't that large, no more than owning an old house really.

Chilly

Balls of steel
My family owns a 60 foot narrow boat that lives on the UK canals. It's an expensive time hog. It's far more efficient to hire a nice clean, modern boat for the 1/10 weekends it's actually used.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Two similar things. Two different estimates of expense.

Why? Where's the money go Chilly? Is because he lives there and undertakes repairs himself the reason it's cheap for your mate, Raven?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ive sailed a boat similar to the one in the picture above in South Africa many years ago. I did a 2 week sailing course. It was great fun.

Not sure I would want to own one though....

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
A mate had a boat for a while. Started living on it. All was good. For a while. :)

He's a tall fucker, about 6'6" and there was basically only one place he could stand upright on it. So he stopped living on it and used it more as a chillout place for a bit. All was good until he didn't secure it properly one night and some skagheads decided they'd take up residence in it every now and then.

Of course he didn't pay any mooring fees anywhere, just moved it every now and then. As he wasn't living in it and the skagheads came it sat in one place for a while and was going to be taken away, so he sold it for £1. It cost him a looooot more than that :D

Fweddy

FH is my second home
My parent's retirement plan is to buy a yacht in the med and live on it until they're too old to sail. They've been going on sailing holidays loads to figure out exactly what they want. I don't really know much about the financial side of it but I seem to remember them saying that depreciation is fairly low on a yacht as long as it's well looked after. I'll ask more next time I speak to them.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I know a GP who lives on her boat at the weekends and has a flat somewhere closer to work during the week. No idea about running costs, I think it's a canal-boat type thing and it doesn't go anywhere.

Oh, also, my neighbour is doing up his house with a view to selling it, buying a boat and pissing off around the world. I shall ask him stuff, every time he goes back to England he seems to have lined up a boat or 2 to look at.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Two similar things. Two different estimates of expense.

Why? Where's the money go Chilly? Is because he lives there and undertakes repairs himself the reason it's cheap for your mate, Raven?

Cost is relative I suppose.

I think he has to have it out of the water every x amount of years to check/paint the hull. Every day repairs are the same as a house I guess. Broken window, painting the outside, decorating the inside.

If my wife wasn't such a towny I would be tempted to live on one too.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've PM'd my ex for info. Out of interest I looked up the mooring fees for the nearest marina to me. For that boat at the top of the thread? €16000 pa!!!

ileks

Part of the furniture
Could you rent it out when not using it like you would with a holiday home?

I've always thought owning a boat like that is for the very rich / retired. Looks like a lot of responsibilty.

Would you be able to sail all over the world in it or would you have to stick to the UK?

Jeros

Part of the furniture
A boat? A BOAT?

Bloody flat cap wearing middle class, "must recycle you know", 4X4 driving, conservative voting, drape twitching, public school boy, bergeioius, underworked, overpaid POX ON THE COLONIES!

Seriously tho living on a boat has always seemed like an awesome idea to me, however I have also read that its a money pit (at least in regards to living on a traditional canal long boat). There are forums all over that should be able to give you more info and also an idea of the logistics of keeping your floating home....well afloat. From what I have read winter can do some real damage to boats if your not careful.

The most important question of course is, how long before your bird gets sick of the "yarr I have come for your booty" quips!

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
My brother is getting quite keen on the whole sailing thing so I've picked up some stuff from him.

You may or may not know this, but be an essential thing to do, and that's get your tickets through the Royal Yachting Assosiation (RYA) such as Competent Crew, Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and such, which is all based on experience, miles sailed and conditions and the like

More Info - http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/courses/Pages/default.aspx

Don't think you would need a 40m boat, plus a smaller one would be less costly on the mooring fee's yet still perfectly sea worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom