Football The 2019/2020 Season Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You should be watching a competitive match like the efl semi final.
Meh, Manc v Manc.

Watching Liverpool I'm watching something I might not see again in a long long time (if ever). It may be yawnsville in terms of results for the neutral but you've got to make hay when the going's good.

I've spent a *lot* of time watching mediocre Liverpool sides. There's a lot to like about this one :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
B'jeezuz.

100 points from the last 102 available. My mind boggles. :eek7:

Wonder if those 2 points really fucks the players off, or whether they don't actually care?

Anyway, I think city'll beat us. They're going to be stinging watching us and will turn everything on for that one game.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
B'jeezuz.

100 points from the last 102 available. My mind boggles. :eek7:

Wonder if those 2 points really fucks the players off, or whether they don't actually care?

Anyway, I think city'll beat us. They're going to be stinging watching us and will turn everything on for that one game.
You lost those 2 points to man u ;)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yep. So I think we'll slowly sink back to 4th because we can't financially compete.

Speaking of that - whilst I understand Klopp drawing a line in the sand over the FA cup and player breaks - I absolutely understand the Accrington Stanley boss who's been screaming at him.

If Lollerpool is struggling to financially compete - how is it for lower league teams who struggle to exist? The Champions League/Europa & World Club Cups are about making the rich richer. The poorer are just falling away.

Shrewsbury were saying that a single match at a packed Anfield would go a long way to securing long-term improvements for their future. As we're playing the kids I'd be surprised if it was packed.

Football is just like Capitalism - it's fucking fucked and corrupt.

Yeah but like typical Liverpool fans even a single win should keep you going for another 30+ years :p

Today Chelsea backed up the interesting stats that were stated at half time, only 1 team is higher on chances created (Man City) but we are 13th on conversion.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes - I addressed that in the post above @caLLous.

A majority of people wanted it introduced
That majority found out what it did (despite it being *obvious*) and now think it makes the game less fun.#

My position is: That majority, who I've disagreed with all along, are fucking idiots. They were wrong then, and they're wrong now.

You cannot have VAR and retain one of the best things the sporting world has ever come up with - football's immediacy.

I was right then. I'm right now. Morons will be morons.

BTW - if you reply with only a quote, without addressing any of the other questions, it's tantamount to just saying "well, I'm getting spanked up and down the whole argument here, so I'm clinging by my fingertips onto this tiny ledge, and not talking about the rest, OK?" :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
But the evidence you posted isn't suggesting that it should be scrapped, it should be modified, so therefore by your own evidence, I'm right, you're wrong. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But the evidence you posted isn't suggesting that it should be scrapped, it should be modified, so therefore by your own evidence, I'm right, you're wrong. :)
I refer the dishonourable gentleman to the above two posts that have already addressed this rather lame point.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yes - I addressed that in the post above @caLLous.
Did you bollocks. :)

You said a majority think it has made the game less enjoyable and then you came to the conclusion that we should "just fucking scrap it" when only 15% feel the same way.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Did you bollocks. :)

You said a majority think it has made the game less enjoyable
I didn't say that. That's what the majority think. A significant majority too.

Lets talk about that for a bit. VAR makes the game less enjoyable for most people.

Think about that for a while... - actually think about it.

• Add to that - and as I've evidenced - the players fucking hate it. Not just TV and match punters, but the professionals who actually play the game.
  • Add to that - and as I've evidenced - the managers aren't exactly fans of it.
You two just seem to skip over the fact that VAR has, in actuality, made the game less enjoyable, for the viewers, the punters, the players. For everyone.

Football is LESS enjoyable with VAR. Period. Unarguably. Done.

But you guys, feel free to just ignore that game-changingly important fact. Being right on the internet is more important I guess.

:)

As for the rest:
and then you came to the conclusion that we should "just fucking scrap it" when only 15% feel the same way.
I've absolutely addressed it. A majority wanted to bring in VAR. They. Were. Wrong < As proven by the above.

They were wrong for the reasons I've been saying for fucking ages. The obvious reasons. But Joe Public is full of morons and if the papers and dumb-as-a-box-of-frogs pundits spend years moaning about refereeing (VAR doesn't fix that, as Mourhino (and every game) shows) then Joe Public will willingly accept something that could make the game less fun.

Lo and behold! The game is less fun :eek:

Now, should we listen to this moron majority, who've allowed the game to be made less fun, and hand-wring and fudge when the *obvious* problem isn't going to be solved by it?

No, what should happen is VAR should be withdrawn - it's a game-breaking bug - and until they can fix it so that it not only doesn't make the game less fun - but does what it actually fucking promised to do in the first place - then it shouldn't be reintroduced.

But like always in real life, the morons will hold sway. The 15% who want it scrapped want it scrapped because of the same reasons it was obvious it shouldn't have been introduced in the first place.

They were right then and they're right now. The moronic majority was wrong then, and they're wrong now. the game is LESS ENJOYABLE, because of VAR. Common sense says remove, immediately have a more enjoyable game, and if it can be fixed in the future then reintroduce.

As I said, in much shorter fashion, in my post above.

But no. There's no commercial driver for this at all is there? I mean, the public, the players and the managers don't like it. But for some reason the business people don't seem to want to protect the sport and are happy to accept a less enjoyable product as long as people aren't voting with their wallets.

Funny that, isn't it? I mean, in any other commercial walk of life the sensible thing to do is to make the product the best product it can be. That's how it got so popular. Football sells like hotcakes because of that.

The only reason to not do it is if there is a golden goose that the money men can see, that Joe Public, the players and (doubtfully) the managers can't see.

Less enjoyable game. You guys keep squirming, keep saying there's no problem (there clearly is) and keep on supporting the hand-wringing lets not do anything about it - keep accepting the less enjoyable game. But try to bear in mind who stands to gain from VAR. A system that does nothing like what it promised to do whilst making football as a game inferior.

For money.

:)

Happy to keep talking about this if you address the arguments I've put forward.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just for clarity (and to satisfy Gwads desparation for democracy to be the right answer for all questions): The "moron majority" absolutely are the right people to answer the question "are you enjoying this".

Absolutely they should be listened to on that.

What the moron majority shouldn't be asked about is how to make structural fixes - because it requires a level of intellectual nuance to understand the issues that this majority clearly didn't have - or they'd have forseen these obvious problems.

Instead, we'll leave it in the hands of people that have nothing to gain from it, right? Oh. Er....

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Your original post made it sound like the majority wanted rid of it though and my quote-only reply was pointing out that that wasn't the case.
You guys keep squirming, keep saying there's no problem (there clearly is) and keep on supporting the hand-wringing lets not do anything about it
That bit's bollocks as well. I never said there's no problem, there are glaring problems with how the Premier League have implemented VAR.

It's not going anywhere and the main complaint (by far) is with the rules that the system is being used to make decisions on - the two that stand out are offside and hand ball.

The hand ball rule is nonsense - if an attacker scores after the ball touches his or a team mate's hand/arm in the buildup (no matter how slight the touch is, or how accidental, or if the player is looking in a completely different direction and couldn't possibly have known that the ball was going to strike his hand/arm) the goal is disallowed but if it touches a defender's hand/arm in the box it might or might not be given as a penalty.

They are trying to be ridiculously accurate with offside, the simple limitations of the technology in use means there's a margin of error of something like 30cm. The cameras used for VAR only shoot at 50fps so there's 1/20th of a second between 2 frames and a lot can happen in 1/20th of a second. They are picking the closest frame to when the ball is kicked to judge the offside but then they're fucking about with millimetres on the other end, deciding whether the player is in an offside position. Added to that they're not looking straight across the pitch (because they'd either need a camera on rails like the 100m sprint or dozens of cameras down each side of the pitch) and they're trying to project upwards from the ground to see if some bit of the attacker's shoulder might be 1cm beyond the defender's foot or whatever.

The only critcisms that can be levelled at VAR are inconsistency (Aubameyang had a yellow turned into a red a few weeks ago for a foul that was near-enough identical to one which Sterling didn't get sent off for on Sunday) and speed of decision-making. If the offside is that tight or if you can't see if it's a handball within x seconds or if you can't make your mind up if it's a red card or not, go with the on-field decision and get on with the game.

The Premier League have made a right lash of their implementation but it's all stuff that can and will improve. There's enough people moaning about it to ensure that it will because, like I said, it's not going anywhere.

Gwadien

"Wah wah wah"

Dem's the factz...

Not at all.

I didn't read your newer posts because 2 other people on this forum agree with me on the original point.

In my point of view that justified the point made.

Gwadien

I dunno why you're facepalming @Scouse you literally keep talking about VAR and your opinion on it, which is fine.

But the point was that the article you posted suggested that most people actually wanted to keep it, and in your original point there is no way that you were calling the people in the article out, you suggested they were supporting your view.

I just want you to admit you're wrong :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah. I'm happy to admit that when I am. But nobend hasn't even read my responses - so doesn't even know what I'm talking about.

Since he's become a full-time government employee he's living up to the hype :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You turning into @Job @Gwadien? If you just don't want to read my explanation just say "wah wah wah, I don't wanna hear it" or, alternatively, stop fucking posting.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As I have said many times the original tech was 2mm positioning chips embedded in the ball and shinpads.
It seems this was too expensive for clubs down to their last 100 million so they went for a 200 quid camera from Argos and a few retired refs to look at it.

They've designed it to fail.

Ormorof

FH is my second home

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There's a feeling that the Premier League wouldn't have done anything if it was a domestic issue but they might feel like they have to act because UEFA did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom