Football The 2019/2020 Season Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Wolves vs. City is properly chaotic. Ederson sent off, City get a pen, it was saved but there was encroachment, it was retaken and saved again but Sterling put it away off the rebound.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow.

Shows how much of sport is pure psychology.

Gray

FH is my second home
Dear Christ Liverpool are running away with this now.

City are losing their heads a little bit it seems... This could be the best time for Everton to play them but at the very same time City dropping points to them will almost certainly mean a bridge too far for them to catch up - Can't believe this will be up to Leicester again to try and stop them albeit unlikely...

For Everton December was looking to be a really tough month given we were hanging over relegation, but since being humiliated by Liverpool we have done a handbrake turn. The only loss coming on penalties in the cup match. Two tough matches next week though.

Just also see Pellegrini has left West Ham. Just hasn't worked for him either it seems.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's just Dean Smith left now. Villa fans love him but he's out of touch and it seems like they're almost guaranteed to drop if they stick with him.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Maureen had a big pop at VAR tonight - saying that the referees on the pitch should be renamed assistants and the system renamed "video referee".

Other piece I read today said that supporters didn't celebrate two goals until after VAR came through with the answer - which is a fundamental change to the game.

Manager after manager having a pop all season. Apparently people are saying lollerpool are benefitting but I've not been following that. What I do know is our fans and manager dislike VAR even if we're profiting.

Anyone here who was vocal in their support for it's introduction man enough to admit it's shite yet, or you gonna hand-wring and say it 'needs adjustment'?

:)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Maureen had a big pop at VAR tonight - saying that the referees on the pitch should be renamed assistants and the system renamed "video referee".

Other piece I read today said that supporters didn't celebrate two goals until after VAR came through with the answer - which is a fundamental change to the game.

Manager after manager having a pop all season. Apparently people are saying lollerpool are benefitting but I've not been following that. What I do know is our fans and manager dislike VAR even if we're profiting.

Anyone here who was vocal in their support for it's introduction man enough to admit it's shite yet, or you gonna hand-wring and say it 'needs adjustment'?

:)
There's nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, it's in use successfully all over Europe. The Premier League have tried to put their own spin on it in some areas though. It obviously needs adjustment, whether it be "make your minds up within x seconds or go with the onfield decision" or "if the offside is that fucking tight then either go with the onfield decision or automatically give the advantage to the attacker" or "don't even bother with it for close offsides because it's such a marginal call" or "give the broadcasters access to the conversations between the ref and the VAR chaps" or any other number of suggestions which are more constructive that saying "buhhh it's shite". VAR isn't shite, not at all, it's how it has been implemented in the Premier League which is shite. It's not going away though.

And "manager after manager having a pop all season" - yet all (or most) of the clubs voted to bring it in.

And if you don't know how you've benefitted from it you obviously didn't see the Wolves match the other day.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, it's in use successfully all over Europe.
So they tell you. I speak to a lot of Germans and they fucking hate it. It's the same shit over there, only with fans bringing banners to show their disgust.

We’re totally on the wrong path. We have to take two or three steps back to get back to the football,” Freiburg coach Christian Streich said. “Everyone thought everything would be fine with technology. But behind the technology are people. It can’t go on like this, it’s crazy. The whole game is not the game it should be anymore. It’s not football anymore.
And if you don't know how you've benefitted from it you obviously didn't see the Wolves match the other day.
I meant whether there's a net gain to lollerpool - but I did see the Wolves game and thanks for bringing it up.

That was a fucking joke. VAR is a disgrace and utterly ruining the game.

So much for getting rid of controversy. And the fans? Not celebrating goals properly because of VAR checks? We just ignore that?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"No premier league players want VAR used", says premier league player.

"I think they are the thoughts of every Premier League player, not just me - pretty much everyone doesn't want VAR in the game.

"There have been so many decisions this season that have been absolutely crazy. They were celebrating VAR like it was a goal and football should not be like that."

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Before the manc game tomorrow (which I have a bad feeling about) - I'd like to point out one thing that makes lots of our previous conversations on this subject feel different.

Net spend: 70m over 4 years :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Before the manc game tomorrow (which I have a bad feeling about) - I'd like to point out one thing that makes lots of our previous conversations on this subject feel different.

Net spend: 70m over 4 years :)
Thanks mainly to that one sale of your midfielder that was over 100million i guess ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So. :)

Man City's net spend? Or United?
Not comparing it to anyone elses ..

but you had a 100m in the bank. Man u spent that on pogba. Not sure what the rest added up to.

but no where near what man city spent. Maybe not over 4 years but to get where they are.

you have a few guys from the academy.

but man u will always beat you with the class of 92

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Made a transfer profit in 3 of the last four seasons.

It's astonishing how well the club is being run financially at the moment tbh. Wage structure is waaay below the majority of our realiatic competitors too.

Wolves, Everton and Brighton have spent £100m more than us in the last 4 seasons. I'm not even going to talk about both the manc teams and arsenal. Chelski made 90 million profit last year but that's because they've been banned from spending and yet they're still about the same as us - and for what?

Sorry @Moriath. Even tho I'm not affiliated with the club in any way - on past arguments about this I'm entitled to feel "smug" because on any metric you care to bring up lollerpool are miles out in front atm.

We'll probably collapse and lose the league now tho :(

Embattle

FH is my second home
I think you are getting ahead of yourself, while I always said that money alone didn't buy Chelsea's original success as proven by clubs afterwards who spent big and struggled it still helps more often than not since those clubs that are the biggest spenders actually hold the majority of the cups since the PL started.

Embattle

FH is my second home
With Rashford MU would struggle but without him they were going to find it even harder but they are looking like lambs to the slaughter

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well they'll be without him for 2-3 months.

It's unbelievable that he was allowed to play with the injuries he already had.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
This is turning into a much better window than I'd expected. A promising 18-month loan in Gedson (with an option to buy), Eriksen gone, Lo Celso's loan made permanent, Bergwijn signed with 1 or 2 strong links in the striker department. With United looking like they've finally got Bruno Fernandes over the line as well, it looks there'll be a couple of new faces in the trudge that is the scrap for top 4.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Minamino's not setting the world alight for me. Looks very lightweight.

Hopefully the £7m we've spent on him won't turn out to be just pissing in the wind and he can turn into a Coutinho-level star, because that's what we paid for him :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's funny. To improve our team at the moment (especially the forward line) it looks like we should be looking at 300m players otherwise where's the improvement? Yes, we've actually made massive strides forward since Klopp took over at pretty much bugger all net spend (Brighton outstrip our spending) - but we're still not in the level of clubs like Man U, Barca, Madrid who can spunk 300m on players every season (or even one player) - so how do we improve our team?

Prior to Van Djik and Allison I think Liverpool's record signing was about 35 million (I think we spunked over the odds on Keita subsequently - but he looks like he might come good and is very young).

But that's normally where we bat. Under Klopp he does seem to get them all working as a unit, but it is a bit nuts.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's funny. To improve our team at the moment (especially the forward line) it looks like we should be looking at 300m players otherwise where's the improvement? Yes, we've actually made massive strides forward since Klopp took over at pretty much bugger all net spend (Brighton outstrip our spending) - but we're still not in the level of clubs like Man U, Barca, Madrid who can spunk 300m on players every season (or even one player) - so how do we improve our team?

Prior to Van Djik and Allison I think Liverpool's record signing was about 35 million (I think we spunked over the odds on Keita subsequently - but he looks like he might come good and is very young).

But that's normally where we bat. Under Klopp he does seem to get them all working as a unit, but it is a bit nuts.
Strength in depth now for you i guess. Players to come in for injuries and to develop as players get older to keep the run going. I dont think you need to buy to improve the A team

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Strength in depth now for you i guess. Players to come in for injuries and to develop as players get older to keep the run going. I dont think you need to buy to improve the A team
I think you always should be trying to improve the A team. Then the previous A-team players either step up more, or become your strength in depth...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think you always should be trying to improve the A team. Then the previous A-team players either step up more, or become your strength in depth...
But you wont do that without spending 150 m or more a player.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But you wont do that without spending 150 m or more a player.
Yep. So I think we'll slowly sink back to 4th because we can't financially compete.

Speaking of that - whilst I understand Klopp drawing a line in the sand over the FA cup and player breaks - I absolutely understand the Accrington Stanley boss who's been screaming at him.

If Lollerpool is struggling to financially compete - how is it for lower league teams who struggle to exist? The Champions League/Europa & World Club Cups are about making the rich richer. The poorer are just falling away.

Shrewsbury were saying that a single match at a packed Anfield would go a long way to securing long-term improvements for their future. As we're playing the kids I'd be surprised if it was packed.

Football is just like Capitalism - it's fucking fucked and corrupt.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fucking VAR is *GASH*.

Obvious pen. West Ham didn't even object.

VAR check. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom