Football The 2018/2019 Season Thread

Embattle

FH is my second home
I like the way the American Football system works better in terms of the requirement for clear and unquestionable video evidence to overturn a ruling on the field.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I like the way the American Football system works better in terms of the requirement for clear and unquestionable video evidence to overturn a ruling on the field.
But for the fact it holds up play, whilst they show a load of adverts.

American Football, whilst a good game, is fucking unwatchably dull because of it's stop-start nature. Football flows.

But yeah, there's billions to be made by breaking up football. But you don't want to alienate your fanbase. So slowly does it. First VAR to get people used to small breaks. Then adverts. Then whatever.

It's clearly the thin end of the wedge.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Football flows.
You should try to watch something other than the occasional Liverpool match. Try another league; have a go at three Danish one.

To be honest, if you're not watching the best leagues/teams or you're in the stands, then football is fucking boring as shit.
Passing it around in the middle, missed pass goes out over the sideline, throw it onto the field again and hoof it at the other team's box, but again a missed pass and a goal kick. 30 seconds later it is hoofed up across the midfield, a duel in the air gives one team the ball and it goes out over the sideline again. Thrown onto the field and now a deep ball, but offside..

You can have 90 minutes with no highlights to show. That would never happen in even a high school American football game.

CorNokZ

6th confirmed. Eriksen off to Real in the summer. Dele joins a foreign club like Juve, Bayern or maybe even City. Pochettino leaves the sinking ship to join the Red Devils. With Kane out for the rest of the season, Son is put under too much pressure so he breaks mentally and physically, resulting in him returning to Korea for good. Tottenham end the 2019/20 season as 13th in the table. All the money from player sales have been wasted on hopeless overpriced youth "talents" and the club can no longer put down the payments for Wembley, and the club is declared bankrupt which means a forced relegation to the fourth best league in the country. Harry Kane returns in the 2020/21 season, but never returns to his old form.

Holy fuck, who woulda thought a damaged ligament could affect a single club that much?

RIP Tottenham

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"VAR wasn't brought in for this"

Yes it was, you bleeding moron. You thought it was about "fairness" - but you don't spend that amount of money on something that's been working fine for over a hundred years unless you can see a big pot of (advertising) gold in the future...

Gray

FH is my second home
49949438_2087880317915519_8965453117516677120_n.jpg

CorNokZ

Mou must be so bitter right now. Old, angry, bitter, figured out and dated.

Exact same material with vastly different results

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Mou must be so bitter right now. Old, angry, bitter, figured out and dated.

Exact same material with vastly different results

He's still running around blaming everyone but himself. Apparently its all United's management structure that's at fault, because of course that creates turgid negativity all on its own.

Anyhoo, 3rd/4th battle is starting to look tasty after today's results.

CorNokZ

Christ on a bike, now Dele's out until March.
6th confirmed. Eriksen off to Real in the summer. Dele joins a foreign club like Juve, Bayern or maybe even City. Pochettino leaves the sinking ship to join the Red Devils. With Kane out for the rest of the season, Son is put under too much pressure so he breaks mentally and physically, resulting in him returning to Korea for good. Tottenham end the 2019/20 season as 13th in the table. All the money from player sales have been wasted on hopeless overpriced youth "talents" and the club can no longer put down the payments for Wembley, and the club is declared bankrupt which means a forced relegation to the fourth best league in the country. Harry Kane returns in the 2020/21 season, but never returns to his old form.

Holy fuck, who woulda thought a damaged ligament could affect a single club that much?

RIP Tottenham
8th confirmed.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pochettino says 'stop var, it's shit and ruins the english game' :)

{Poch says VAR} has led to lengthy delays while decisions have been reviewed. They are particularly damaging to the high‑tempo English game....where breaks in play feel more pronounced...{and}... says football is about emotion, tension, intuition and even refereeing mistakes

So, pretty much exactly what I've been saying all along.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Would you mind a tennis version; limited use for only penalties/goals?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Pochettino says 'stop var, it's shit and ruins the english game' :)

So, pretty much exactly what I've been saying all along.
I don't disagree with him and it clearly needs improving and streamlining but it's coming, in one form or another, whether it's delayed or not. It's not like they're just going to chuck it in the bin.

And remember, it was the clubs who voted it in - there had to be 14 votes for it to pass (although the FA haven't said if anyone voted against).

Edit - and it's not *exactly* what you've been saying all along. I don't see Poch running around with his hair on fire screaming about advertisers ruining everything.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It was originally going to be ball and shin pad embedded chips that could track the positions to within 2mm, using software to track player movements to determine fouls in real time and of course ball in goal discrepencies.
Probably just a bit too much..it would be absolute and arguing is a major part of the spectator experience.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't disagree with him and it clearly needs improving and streamlining but it's coming, in one form or another, whether it's delayed or not. It's not like they're just going to chuck it in the bin.
Brexit?

Of course it can be reversed. Strange that you've got this fatalism over VAR but not over something much more difficult with wider ranging consequences.

In terms of how it affects the game it's exactly what I've said. Mistakes are desireable.

To get tinfoil about it - the advertising thing would have been part of the hook that got the vote from business owners. The fact they haven't published the who gives them the opportunity to reverse that decision without taking reputational damage.

They'll only reverse it if the public/punters demand it. But given their opinions are press-led, and business owners of the press are media companies which would love VAR...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hand of God.. much more bs which altered the outcome of a game.
Which is still talked about nowadays.

Would you really reverse the hand of god? You're not even old enough to be butthurt about it. And most of the world thinks it's brilliant. It's part of football history. And there's loads of that sort of stuff that people laugh and guffaw and take the piss out of each other in the pub about.

Just like every fan that isn't from Liverpool loves that beach ball that scored the winning goal against us. And lots of Liverpool fans too.

Football is great because shit that shouldn't happen happens, and people get to argue over it. And it's all sorted out (or argued over) after the game has finished - so it doesn't fuck the game up. And the human formula has been working just fine, massive growth sport, for fucking ages.

What's particularly galling about VAR is that it, quite clearly, doesn't fix the so-called "problems" you want fixed - it's already being used and not working.

But don't argue with me about it. Why not argue with the Premier League Manager who's come out on record and made exactly the same point as me. (Klopp's not a fan either, but he's a bit more diplomatic than Poch).

But carry on whining "but it's not faiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrr".

No, it's not fair. And that makes it funnier. Stop whining. Bitch.

:)

CorNokZ

"Fuck, this dude is shit! What are we gonna do!? Ole, can you be the substitute teacher while we draft a contract for Zidane and throw a shit ton of money at him?"

*one month later*

WWWWWWWW

Gray

FH is my second home
Ha. What the fuck is going on at Everton. We have been so bad and so unstable that I am not even shocked that we just lost.

Silva was the one who was headhunted halfway through last season, if not beyond that and he has been nothing but disappointing. It hasn't helped the cause that we have had so much deadwood that is being forced to be kept all who are on long lucrative contracts. Essentially told that we're not able to buy any new players, namely strikers at least until end of the season...

Maybe Mourinho is interested?! OGS maybe??

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If only VAR had been in use they'd have seen the blatant hand ball for Millwall's second...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom