Football The 2018/2019 Season Thread

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The story hints at Cardiff being unprepared and unprofessional and looks like they're hunting through their paperwork for a way out.

Which lacks class. Silence would have been more respectful.
No company would hand over money due to contracts without doing the due diligence and getting their legal teams to first check. As you stated though if the insurance was not in place to cover it someone in their organisation was negligent. Shit situation for his family though. The club should do the right thing and help out until everything is sorted.

Bet someone will get fired over the insurance issue..

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
City and Utd have a net spend of 400 and 300m over the last three seasons (spend vs sales). We've spent 140.

But meh.
Ah the net spend get out. As a Newcastle fan I'm all too familiar with that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ah the net spend get out. As a Newcastle fan I'm all too familiar with that.
Incomings vs Outgoings. So what you can afford. Hardly a 'get out'. More a reflection of the actual reality of a well-run club.

I get your miffed-ness though. The Barcodes are one of the top-20 richest clubs in Europe but you've an owner who refuses to spend.

It's not like you've not got the cash, but don't let it make you bitter.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Four up after 25 minutes, this is going to be a bloodbath.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Jeebus.

Turns out the level in the premier league is a bit pish and it's ripe to be turned into a joke-like spanish league as long as people can come in with a spare billion quid.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Incomings vs Outgoings. So what you can afford. Hardly a 'get out'. More a reflection of the actual reality of a well-run club.

I get your miffed-ness though. The Barcodes are one of the top-20 richest clubs in Europe but you've an owner who refuses to spend.

It's not like you've not got the cash, but don't let it make you bitter.
I think you've taken my response the wrong way. I'm on your side, the amount of times I have to tell some idiot that we didn't 'buy the Championship' with out unlimited pockets cause we sold £80m worth of players etc. I was merely on the wind up with my first reply :p

I do think it'll be interesting if Liverpool keep buying players for such high prices though if they aren't selling their players at ridiculous prices occasionally.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I do think it'll be interesting if Liverpool keep buying players for such high prices though if they aren't selling their players at ridiculous prices occasionally.
Fenway said the club will always have to live within it's means.

Look at the major one that doesn't have to right now tho. I think Souness is right when he says we'll have to win every single game for the rest of the season.

It's like city are playing on god-mode. And you know how a game feels when you play on god mode. Fun for a while, but ultimately empty and soulless.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Fenway said the club will always have to live within it's means.

Look at the major one that doesn't have to right now tho. I think Souness is right when he says we'll have to win every single game for the rest of the season.

It's like city are playing on god-mode. And you know how a game feels when you play on god mode. Fun for a while, but ultimately empty and soulless.
Looking at the empty seats in the Etihad even their own fans are bored already ;) But nah, I do think the Prem is getting quite tragic, the gulf between the teams is too much. It makes me not fear the Championship at all, at least it's a bit more level there.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Looking at the empty seats in the Etihad even their own fans are bored already ;) But nah, I do think the Prem is getting quite tragic, the gulf between the teams is too much. It makes me not fear the Championship at all, at least it's a bit more level there.

There's a top six in England now, it used to realistically be a top four, and you've got two teams nip and tuck and the top and a third in touching distance. If you look at the other European leagues its only Spain that has anything approaching the English level of competition at the top. In Italy Juve have 63 points and they've played four games less than City!

I don't the think the Prem is that bad competition-wise. It could certainly be a lot worse. I don't even begrudge City's money that much; if United's owners weren't a shower of cunts who know fuck-all about football we could spend just as much but more effectively; the team's failures over the last few years have been self-inflicted management choices, not spending on its own.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
There's a top six in England now, it used to realistically be a top four, and you've got two teams nip and tuck and the top and a third in touching distance. If you look at the other European leagues its only Spain that has anything approaching the English level of competition at the top. In Italy Juve have 63 points and they've played four games less than City!

I don't the think the Prem is that bad competition-wise. It could certainly be a lot worse. I don't even begrudge City's money that much; if United's owners weren't a shower of cunts who know fuck-all about football we could spend just as much but more effectively; the team's failures over the last few years have been self-inflicted management choices, not spending on its own.
That's great and all, my point was more there's very little point in the league for teams below 6th. No one is breaking into that special club, so the rest just exist while trying to not get relegated but there's almost sod all for the rest of them / us to play for. Hell even the cups are predictable now, I don't see anyone doing a Wigan any time soon, the top clubs are just that much better than everyone else.

DaGaffer

That's great and all, my point was more there's very little point in the league for teams below 6th. No one is breaking into that special club, so the rest just exist while trying to not get relegated but there's almost sod all for the rest of them / us to play for. Hell even the cups are predictable now, I don't see anyone doing a Wigan any time soon, the top clubs are just that much better than everyone else.

Leicester. And putting City's billions to one side, look at Spurs, they've gone from decades of "somewhere between 5th and 8th" to a genuine CL team, and if they ever get this stadium sorted, could kick on. I think English football is the least "closed shop" of all the European leagues.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Leicester. And putting City's billions to one side, look at Spurs, they've gone from decades of "somewhere between 5th and 8th" to a genuine CL team, and if they ever get this stadium sorted, could kick on. I think English football is the least "closed shop" of all the European leagues.
Leicester is a freak occurance. Of course we know that it can happen. But it's absolutely freak. The number of clubs winning the league since the PL became a thing, or with realistic ambitions of winning it has reduced dramatically. Leicester just goes to show unreaslistic ambitions shouldn't be given up on. But they are feeding on scraps really.

Spurs is one of the richest teams in the world. Along with Liverpool they're PL underachievers IMO.

I think English football is the least "closed shop" of all the European leagues.
Doesn't mean that it's in rude health though, looking at it from a historical basis.

The CL is the be-all atm. And eventually it'll be a global model. (Although I'd wager it probably won't be a "game of two halves" by the time they reach that stage)...

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Leicester was a once in a generation surprise, potentially even a once in a lifetime occurrence at this point. Going from almost relegated one season to champions the next? Yeah I'm not seeing that again unless there's significant change in the league somehow.

DaGaffer

Leicester was a once in a generation surprise, potentially even a once in a lifetime occurrence at this point. Going from almost relegated one season to champions the next? Yeah I'm not seeing that again unless there's significant change in the league somehow.

You say that, but other leagues have had freak championship wins in the last few decades (since 92), so perhaps its more "normal" than you think. Look at the stats; most of the big leagues have had 5 or six winning teams, and England, Spain and Germany have all had one freak result (Leicester, Deportivo and Wolfsburg). To be honest France is the only league that breaks the rules and maybe that's because French domestic football is a bit shit?

It just feels to me that the economics of modern football seem to be pretty consistent no matter what.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Cz5dz5l.png

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yikes. Are you 12?

Do I want Tottenham to win the league? Of course I do.
Do I think Tottenham will win the league? No.
Does Liverpool dropping points mean that City are more likely to win the league? Yes.
Would I prefer City win it than Liverpool? Abso-fucking-lutely.
Is your "lads it's Tottenham" shtick tired and played out? Yes.
Do you think you're hilarious and original? Probably.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Yikes. Did you wake up with sand in your vagina this morning?

Out of the top three teams I'd rather see the Spurs win the league than the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom