News Tesco unwittingly selling horse burgers...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
hehe the gf has gone all high and mighty with her vegetarianism the last few days "THIS IS WHY I DONT EAT MEAT!"

Ask her if she eats any processed foods - quorn, veggie burgers etc. If she does she can't guarantee their content any more than anyone who guarantees the content of any other processed foods.

I've a friend who worked for a long time on the quorn stuff as it was being designed as a "foodstuff". He won't touch it with a barge pole. Mycoprotein my arse :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I nearly fell out with my sister's husband's parents. They are strictly veggie. I was cooking a chilli for a big family do and found a really good veggie recipe. I offered to cook it for them but they insisted on just having a Quorn version. Fucking philistines.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lived with a veggie for 7 years. Had some great food.

But she also loved the quorn. I think it's just used as replacement for your imagination when cooking.

rynnor

Rockhound
I like the quorn beefburgers - they are actually better than most meat beefburgers and this is before you factor in the horsebeef/donkey et al.

I wouldnt eat mycoprotein every day though and people eating quorn ham/bacon etc. are not proper veggies imho.

Mixed chilli beans & cheese ftwin!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
VEggies yes, vegans no. Atleast if the "oh so accurate" wiki is true since they add eggwhite ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Quorn burgers are surprisingly good with bacon :)

i dont mind veggie food all that much i am a semi vegetarian as its easier to cook for both of us in veggie mode than have to cook twice :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Been out with two veggies, one for years and another for about six months (many, many years later) and the constant accommodation you have to make for them got right on my tits. When I was young I put up with it because...y'know...sex, but second time around I just got increasingly annoyed. I think I'd probably punch a vegan in the face after about 10 minutes (to be honest I'd probably punch a vegan in the face on general principles); I've only really known one and he was exactly the kind of smug sanctimonious cunt you'd expect.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Oh god I thought I wsa safe cos I don't eat beef ( don't use salt either). Now they've decided to look at lamb products as well! Surely they can't've got it into fish too? I'll have to starve!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh god I thought I wsa safe cos I don't eat beef ( don't use salt either). Now they've decided to look at lamb products as well! Surely they can't've got it into fish too? I'll have to starve!

Moral of the story, sayward: Cook your own food from fresh.

Remember, this is only what they've detected recently - it's europwide and they've only just cottoned on to it over there really. Something shit will have at some point been in everything preprocessed - fish, meats, veggiburgers, pizzas, cereals, yadda yadda yadda. And the vast majority of stuff will have slid through unnoticed.

ANY pre-processed food in your diet and you're asking for trouble IMO. Fresh self-prepared food only - you can't trust anything else.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Moral of the story, sayward: Cook your own food from fresh.

Remember, this is only what they've detected recently - it's europwide and they've only just cottoned on to it over there really. Something shit will have at some point been in everything preprocessed - fish, meats, veggiburgers, pizzas, cereals, yadda yadda yadda. And the vast majority of stuff will have slid through unnoticed.

ANY pre-processed food in your diet and you're asking for trouble IMO. Fresh self-prepared food only - you can't trust anything else.

that's absurd i am hardly going to start churning my own butter and grinding my own flour now am i, no time for that!

ignorance is bliss i guess :m00:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
that's absurd i am hardly going to start churning my own butter and grinding my own flour now am i, no time for that!

ignorance is bliss i guess :m00:

I agree - there's an irreducible minium that you can get to and then it's hard to go further - so I don't.

If you want I suppose you could try to make a difference by buying certified organic butter and high-quality flour. You're at least giving yourself the best chance. But yeah. I still buy Lurpak.

However, fresh veg, quality meat. Done.

rynnor

Rockhound
you could try to make a difference by buying certified organic butter and high-quality flour.

Even then theres no way you as a consumer could tell if your 00 flour had been cut with cheaper crap, that your organic butter wasnt just lurpak in a different wrapper etc.

Fundamentally the food industry is based on trust - when that breaks down consumers are still pretty much stuck with it - thats why people like the FSA need to do their job rather than passing the buck to the supermarkets.

rynnor

Rockhound
However, fresh veg, quality meat. Done.

Uh-huh - by quality meat do you mean the stuff that looks uniformly red in the shops thanks to a whole raft of different colourings and preservatives, could you tell if it had been pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones that can affect human health?

Are your apples shiny thanks to a waxing process, has your veg been irradiated to prolong life, have your spuds spent 9 months in a deep freeze etc. etc. :p

Unless you are raising the animals yourself and growing the veg your in the same boat as the rest tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Unless you are raising the animals yourself and growing the veg your in the same boat as the rest tbh.

Not true. You're in a better quality and safer boat.

Aside from the fact that I know the source of much of my food (I'm friends with an organic farmer (who has an organic orchard)), cuts of meat in the supermarket are of a much higher quality than the brain-scrapings of processed-food-hell. And you can identify it - unlike in processed ready meals.

has your veg been irradiated to prolong life, have your spuds spent 9 months in a deep freeze etc. etc.

If supermarket veg has been irradiated or spuds been frozen it's a different kettle of fish to carrots actually being orange-painted turds and potatoes being actually the balls of castrated priests with a penchant for prion disease.

Saying eating ready meals is the same as freshly cooked food is ridiculous.

rynnor

Rockhound
Saying eating ready meals is the same as freshly cooked food is ridiculous.

Not really - I'm just making the point that at some level its all about trust - noone can be sure what they are eating ultimately.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well this processed crap has gone to far. Was buying crayfish tails in herbsauce, said on the packaging big font Crayfish tails. Turned it over read the ingredient list, no crayfish what so ever, 100% surimi in the crayfish lookalike. Checked the prawns next to it, in garlic sauce, same there surimi...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's just "gone too far" since people only now are bandwagoning on it as they actually read ;)

Lidl lasagne, the minced meat is questionable in it, might be horse, might be uruguayan children, f*cks given is absolutely 0% since it's "pop in oven, noms in 20".

Himse

FH is my second home
Theres a wicked butcher about 10 minutes from me. Think i'll be visiting there more often now.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
To say you can't trust what you are buying is what you think you are buying is pretty wierd.

I know when I ask for beef from my butcher that it is beef, it looks like beef, smells like beef and tastes like beef!

rynnor

Rockhound
To say you can't trust what you are buying is what you think you are buying is pretty wierd.

I know when I ask for beef from my butcher that it is beef, it looks like beef, smells like beef and tastes like beef!

Its customary to add a dye to make beef look red, it could have further preservatives added and you are also trusting that the animal was not diseased or dosed on anything that could harm a human.

No way the end consumer can tell all of that thus the need for institutions like the FSA to do their job.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Agreed.

There's of course the problem that you're not 100% sure that it's legal and untainted by chemicals beef, but that's a whole lot better than not being able to identify it, let alone tell whether it's been injected with aids.

Its customary to add a dye to make beef look red, it could have further preservatives added and you are also trusting that the animal was not diseased or dosed on anything that could harm a human.

If you buy organic beef then you've given it your best shot and your level of confidence on the sliding scale of "wtf am I eating" is considerably higher.

You buy meatballs from waitrose, tesco value lasagne or lidl "pepperoni" pizza and you are leaving the whole thing to chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom