News Tesco unwittingly selling horse burgers...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It wasn't debunked. What happened to him actually happened due to the way he ate mc donalds food.

Yes there was a different experiment and there was a different result. It doesn't disprove what happened to him.

If you think junk food is good for you. Then by all means eat as much as you can. See where it takes you.

rynnor

Rockhound
It wasn't debunked. What happened to him actually happened due to the way he ate mc donalds food.

So what - overeat anything and you will get fat - a guy in the office went fruitarian - no meat, no dairy and he gained weight from overeating.

Its not a judgement on the type of food but on the person.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It wasnt a documentary in the true sense though - the bloke set out to show what he wanted - all you watched was a film - who knows what he really did etc.
That film was middle-class snobbery purporting as a documentary. The vast majority of the world subsists on less nutritious food than MacDonalds and has done since the dawn of agriculture (they might have had a more varied diet as hunter-gatherers but only when times were good. Periods of starvation are much worse for you than Chicken MacNuggets). Sure you might squeeze a few more years out of your life by adding more broccoli and peas (although broccoli is actually nice and peas, like sweetcorn, don't actually seem to be digested at all by me) but you still need more than fruit and veg and there's a huge portion of the world's population who would benefit from the variety a big mac would add to their diet.

Frankly nutritionists are quacks and a lot of other advice is plain meddling or snobbery.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
rynnor said:
So what - overeat anything and you will get fat - a guy in the office went fruitarian - no meat, no dairy and he gained weight from overeating.

Its not a judgement on the type of food but on the person.

That's not really a surprise is it. Fruit is high in sugar...

Yes overeating is the cause for being overweight...so the key is to eat everything in moderation and have a varied diet of fats veg fruit meat etc.

rynnor

Rockhound
That's not really a surprise is it. Fruit is high in sugar...

Yes overeating is the cause for being overweight...so the key is to eat everything in moderation and have a varied diet of fats veg fruit meat etc.

Variety is good but it doesnt actually have to be every day - the inuit lived for thousands of years without eating anything but meat. Our primitive ancestors would exploit any edible resource until it was gone - basic survival.

So if they found a tree with fruit they would just keep coming back to it for days eating nothing else - same for if they made a large animal kill - rda's are nonsense made up to sell multi vitamins.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Couldn't have described it better Wij, middle class snobbery.
There's a constant theme to the 'poor people undernourished' bolaks that is actually just the middle classes
attempting to lay claim to the high ground with 'healthy' foods and the thick working classes don't know what's good for them.
When actually they themselves are taking advice from from an industry of snake oil salesmen selling them the latest invisible coat.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
a guy in the office went fruitarian - no meat, no dairy and he gained weight from overeating.

That's vegan, not frutarian.

I've never, ever, met a fat vegan*.

*I've met bazillions of annoying ones tho.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Healthy, balanced food makes you feel and look better. It's not quackery.

A big mac meal is obviously better for you than flour mixed with water. That doesn't mean living off them will make you healthy. It won't, you will look like shit and feel like shit and in the long term give yourself all sorts of problems, weight being only one of them.

The salt alone in processed shit is going to cause you problems, let alone all the other rubbish they pump into it.

As for E-numbers, they are chemical additives, some have been proven to be very bad for you indeed and thus removed from the food chain, even when they have been in food for years.

rynnor

Rockhound
That's vegan, not frutarian.

I've never, ever, met a fat vegan*.

*I've met bazillions of annoying ones tho.

Vegans eat veg and fruit, pulses, nuts etc. - fruitarians only eat fruit.

rynnor

Rockhound
Healthy, balanced food makes you feel and look better. It's not quackery.

A big mac meal is obviously better for you than flour mixed with water. That doesn't mean living off them will make you healthy. It won't, you will look like shit and feel like shit and in the long term give yourself all sorts of problems, weight being only one of them.

The salt alone in processed shit is going to cause you problems, let alone all the other rubbish they pump into it.

As for E-numbers, they are chemical additives, some have been proven to be very bad for you indeed and thus removed from the food chain, even when they have been in food for years.

Much of this is crap though - the idea of 'healthy' foods is basically garbage - you need to eat a variety of things to cover your nutritional bases but not all of them every day. You need fat in your diet, you need oils, you need carbs - not to excess but you do need them.

You need salt - your never likely to eat a toxic amount of it but without it you would eventually die.

Most e-numbers are just shorthand for naturally occurring things - the bad ones have pretty much been removed.

There is a combination of snobbishness and gullibility at work here - dont get sucked in.

rynnor

Rockhound
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/salt.aspx

Spoon it in if you like but don't whine if you get ill. They put far too much in food because it is a natural and cheap flavour enhancer.

Its only an issue (and a pretty much overhyped one tbh) if you have high blood pressure - otherwise eat as much as you like - they dont mention that its an essential mineral because noone eating a western diet is ever likely to be deficient.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It certainly is, I put loads of it on chips. But too much of it is still bad for you. They put too much in shit food because it is a cheap way to make it not taste like you just shat out a decent meal.

rynnor

Rockhound
They put too much in shit food because it is a cheap way to make it not taste like you just shat out a decent meal.

You have evolved like all mammals to like the taste of it so that you wont get deficient in it if possible as is it essential for the electrolytes.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We evolved when salt was reasonably hard come by.

It's not any more.

Job

Aye...the sailors favourite song...water water everwhere..lets have ourselves a drink

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
It wasnt a documentary in the true sense though - the bloke set out to show what he wanted - all you watched was a film - who knows what he really did etc.
tbh I think his point is that the average lifestyle of the average american makes the average american fat. I was most shocked by the 5k steps / two miles thing, and iirc he also had to take a cab for anything over 5 minutes distance. I wonder how much *I* walk?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Job

I think donkey will be the least of it...I fully expect evry concievable creature to be found in the food chain.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
so is there any beef sold in the UK or is it all horse/donkey?

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Much of this is crap though - the idea of 'healthy' foods is basically garbage - you need to eat a variety of things to cover your nutritional bases but not all of them every day. You need fat in your diet, you need oils, you need carbs - not to excess but you do need them.

You need salt - your never likely to eat a toxic amount of it but without it you would eventually die.

Most e-numbers are just shorthand for naturally occurring things - the bad ones have pretty much been removed.

There is a combination of snobbishness and gullibility at work here - dont get sucked in.

Carbs aren't as important as you might think. The most important things are as you say fats and oils but also protiens, carbs for the most part are just quick energy (some faster than others ofc).

Job

Ive been over the salt debscle a hundred times..the reall issue is what unknown influence is responsible for tutning the conclusions of the six major salt trials into a policy of convincing people that salt can raise your blood pressure.when the results from the trials quite clearly show it doesnt in any measurable way..the anti salt policy is not based on any actual scientific results..it appears to be a crusade of semi religous conspiracy against the western diet.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Not just here - the manufacturer in Luxembourg was serving 12 EU countries - yummeh!

hehe the gf has gone all high and mighty with her vegetarianism the last few days "THIS IS WHY I DONT EAT MEAT!"

lets just hope for her sanity they dont find horse in the veggie burgers (the ol' uniquorn jokes if you know what i mean)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom